Let's talk desserts

sherezada

I prefer a hot pudding to a cold dessert, but enjoy crème caramel. We don't eat anything containing sugar at home, but relax for the odd pud on board.

One night we'd eaten in a Spanish restaurant on Ventura- just tapas and paella. OH suggested that we went to the aft bar on 15, to look at the sea. The route was through the buffet, where he disappeared.

I knew exactly what he was doing- he'd discovered that apple crumble was being served that night, and joined me with a large dish, swimming in custard.....:rolleyes:

On Le Cirque's night on HAL -- the crème Caramel is excellent. But you only get that once a week.

...love them all. Princess, RCCL, or Celebrity. Attached are a few of the desserts served on Celebrity Solstice during a "brunch"..........there were more but I had to stop taking photos and start eating...:)

Love your picture of the fruit tarts.

DH loves the melting chocolate lava cake on Carnival.

Me, I'm not hard to please when it comes to desserts. (I do love the de lechi(sp?)on celebrity.

Funny story about desserts.

My sister was on her first cruise with us. She ordered dessert (honesty can't remember what it was suppose to be) but she made such a face when she tried it. She put her fork down. When she asked me to taste her dessert, I knew better....lol Our waiter came over and noticed she only took one bite. She asked him to try it. (she said it tasted like fish oil!:eek:) He grabbed a fork and took a bite....between his face and the one she was still sporting. I was laughing to much to even think about taking a picture of both of them. He couldn't believe it, he said "Oh my, that does taste like fish oil!!"

Yes, I do eat most of it. It only happens one day through the entire cruise. No, I don't run a half marathon everyday. However, I seem to have pretty good metabolism, because I always come back from the cruise the same weight I left (and I'm not overweight).

I think it's sad that, no matter how neutral you try to make a post, it seems like someone always has to find a way to criticize, or make a negative remark. I was merely asking about people's opinion on the desserts on different cruise lines. Can we stay on topic, for once?

GOOD FOR YOU. I use to be just like you. I could eat anything and everything and never gain an ounce. I use to beg my doctor to give me something to gain weight but he always just laughed it off. I wish I knew that those were good old days because now I just have to eat an ounce and I find myself gaining two ounces.

Keep enjoying life the way it is.

I will cruise for the first time next summer. I look forward to the buffets and all it has or doesn't have to offer. We are always curious about the different styles of foods and desserts served when we take vacations. We are always willing to taste a little of many different kinds of foods or desserts, it's just fun. The photos posted make everything look delicious.

We were just on Oasis a few weeks ago and yesterday I got the RCL survey - they specifically had questions about desserts, which didn't surprise me considering most of the desserts are not very good. DH and I are not big sweets eaters, so we shared a dessert most nights. Faves were the chocolate souffle, pavlova, and the fruit crumble (I think it was peach?).

Worst desserts on HAL. They have a "chocolate" or "dessert" extravaganza night and I swear, I have never found anything good. I take pictures of all the decadent looking desserts but go for the bread pudding with vanilla sauce, which is amazing. I do, however love the little chocolate truffle ball things you get a Pinnacle Grille and the Pinnacle Grille vanilla souffle is probably the best dessert I've ever had in my life.

The worst? The cookies and fudge dessert plate on Christmas Eve on HAL:

IMGP3229.JPG

Yes, those are Froot Loops in white chocolate :eek: This was NOT a children's menu either. This was on the actual dessert menu. No, I didn't eat it.

I too crave the dark stuff-and no one has so far said much about Carnival feeding a chocolate addiction-so here goes-Every night there is the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake. A chocolate cake with a warm gooey pudding like center served with a side of ice cream. One night during a 5 or 7 day cruise there is the Bitter and Blanc, a bread pudding with dark and white chocolate inside the pudding, chunks og chocolate on tiop, served with a white sweet sauce. And there is on your last day at sea, a chocolate buffet on the lido, along with chocolate fondue, with fruit, nuts and marshmellows for dipping, all of the cakes and desserts are made with some kind of chocoate, i prefer the chocolate pear cake, made with ground hazelnuts. There is even a chocolate sushi. I am sorry I dont have pics, but I am more into eating food than taking pictures of food. You will not suffer if you choose a Carnival cruise, chocolate covered strawberries are available at the coffee shop, along with other choice chocolates, and Carnival even has it's own candy store. Their chocolate cake that you can order through guest services, made for a special occasion are great too. Wow! I never realized I ate so much chocolate on a cruise.:o:D

I have to chime in on carnival's chocolate too!! I have cruised tons of different cruise lines. We have not cruised Carnival in 4 years and have just booked cruise on Carnival. Only reason, I am craving the warm chocolate melting cake. I can smell it now!!!! Heaven.....:D

I find that most of the desserts on cruise ships, especially those on display in the buffet, look very appetizing, but unfortunately don't deliver on taste. Someone on a previous thread on this subject claims that they cut back on some ingredients, like vanilla, or something, that makes the difference.

The once-in-a-while desserts that they serve in the MDR's and specialty restaurants are usually somewhat better.

That said, my favorites include the chocolate chip cookies in NCL's buffet, that disappear as quick as they put them out! Also like the raspberry cheesecake they serve in the Blue Lagoon.......:)

Food is subjective. What one person considers great, another person considers garbage.

For me, I found the worst desserts on HAL. I actually wrote on the comment card to send the pastry chef back to school.

I've only been on HAL and superstar Virgo so not much to compare but I remember thinking that the desserts on HAL were very pedestrian, mains were better and I sometimes skipped dessert all together except in the pinnacles restaurant where they were better:cool:

I'm a big chocoholic, so dessert is important to me. I've only sailed on RCCL, and I live for their one chocolate breakfast day. I usually order most of the stuff on the menu, and everyone in the table gives me the stunned look.

I'm curious about others experiences, both in RCCL and other lines. Which line would you say have the best desserts? Pictures are more than welcome. I don't have any, because I always start eating them before I remember to take a pic. LOL!

I pretty much stick to HAL and find the desserts aren't too bad. Currently I only do the no sugar added and the desserts are fine, take care of my sweet tooth. And, yes, I have lost weight on cruises. Before I started the no sugar, desserts in the dining room were fine, but never found anything I liked at the dessert extravaganza, always too dry. Try the choc covered strawberries if you see them at the extravaganza, they were awesome.

On Carnival, there is a chocolate buffet on lido one afternoon. There's fruit and all kinds of other things that you can dip in chocolate, dessert sushi, cake, etc. My favorite is the chocolate mousse. It was very yummy!

In the mdr, my favorite is the creme brulee.

And Mom and I always order Carnival's chocolate cake to be delivered to our cabin. We have been known to eat it for breakfast!

Archived