Let's talk desserts

sherezada

I'm a big chocoholic, so dessert is important to me. I've only sailed on RCCL, and I live for their one chocolate breakfast day. I usually order most of the stuff on the menu, and everyone in the table gives me the stunned look.

I'm curious about others experiences, both in RCCL and other lines. Which line would you say have the best desserts? Pictures are more than welcome. I don't have any, because I always start eating them before I remember to take a pic. LOL!

Yes, I do eat most of it. It only happens one day through the entire cruise. No, I don't run a half marathon everyday. However, I seem to have pretty good metabolism, because I always come back from the cruise the same weight I left (and I'm not overweight).

I think it's sad that, no matter how neutral you try to make a post, it seems like someone always has to find a way to criticize, or make a negative remark. I was merely asking about people's opinion on the desserts on different cruise lines. Can we stay on topic, for once?

While I love sweets, I haven't found the desserts on ships to be to my taste. I usually end up with the cheese plate or ice cream. But Carnival's warm chocolate melting cake gets rave reviews, an you can order a banana split off the kids menu. Princess has the Love Boat Dream chocolate dessert, and on the kids menu is the volcano, which is a huge bowl of ice cream. EM

Yes, I do eat most of it. It only happens one day through the entire cruise. No, I don't run a half marathon everyday. However, I seem to have pretty good metabolism, because I always come back from the cruise the same weight I left (and I'm not overweight).

I think it's sad that, no matter how neutral you try to make a post, it seems like someone always has to find a way to criticize, or make a negative remark. I was merely asking about people's opinion on the desserts on different cruise lines. Can we stay on topic, for once?

I'm sorry if you think I was criticizing. That was not the case. I was simply curious.

The best desserts I've had were on Disney. Chocolate souffle in Remy with a vanilla bean sauce wins top honors. I'm usually too full after dinner to eat dessert though.

For a lot of my life, I had a chocolate allergy. Yes, it's true:eek: I would get horrible migraines if I ate any chocolate in any form. Thankfully, it's now gone. Now, I do like chocolate, but I don't favor it over anything else. I can still only do a little at a time. Maybe that's why I'm not really a desserts/sweets person. That said, I found the desserts on Princess and NCL really dry and bland. Chocolate looked like chocolate, but did not have any chocolate taste - more like chocolate-colored wax or flour. I'd stick to fruit and cheeses.

I don't recommend HAL for desserts. I loved everything about our cruise on the Westerdam EXCEPT dessert. They were very disappointing.

Except on the 2nd formal night, in the MDR, they served a chocolate tartlet with ganache that was so smooth and creamy, it just melted in your mouth. Sadly, it was only about the size of a melon ball :( I should have ordered 5 more lol

Chocolate breakfast? You won't find that on HAL.

I rarely eat desserts on HAL -- they are terrible!!

The are only 3 that I like -- specialty restaurants. Pinnacle Grill on all ships -- chocolate volcano cake and chocolate soufflé. Only two ships have the Tamarind and there I get the fortune cookie with chocolate ganauche.

I have found that desserts on cruise ships generally are lackluster. Even on Celebrity and HAL, where I have found the food to be better than on Carnival, Princess, Royal Caribbean or NCL, the desserts are not worth the added calories. I stick to fresh fruit, cheese plates or fruit sorbet (even the ice creams fall short).

Just a suggestion for next time - if you don't want anyone else to talk about you eating your way down the menu, then don't introduce the subject yourself. The reply wasn't actually off-topic, because it was your topic.

Can't help you much with the puddings, sorry. I'm no fan of chocolate puddings anyway. My own favourite is P&O's hot pudding and custard available from the lunch menu in the buffet - jam roly poly or apple sponge are the top choices.

I'm sorry if you think I was criticizing. That was not the case. I was simply curious.

The best desserts I've had were on Disney. Chocolate souffle in Remy with a vanilla bean sauce wins top honors. I'm usually too full after dinner to eat dessert though.

Chocolate soufflé in Palo, yummmmm

adj8k1.jpg

The Warm chocolate lava cake comes in close

25z2wkz.jpg

And the Grand Marnier soufflé, also great

qyesd3.jpg

All on DCL

I prefer a hot pudding to a cold dessert, but enjoy crème caramel. We don't eat anything containing sugar at home, but relax for the odd pud on board.

One night we'd eaten in a Spanish restaurant on Ventura- just tapas and paella. OH suggested that we went to the aft bar on 15, to look at the sea. The route was through the buffet, where he disappeared.

I knew exactly what he was doing- he'd discovered that apple crumble was being served that night, and joined me with a large dish, swimming in custard.....:rolleyes:

You did ask for the experiences of others. You should have listed the categories of experiences which you would find acceptable. The fact is, some of us have experienced amazement at the ability of fellow passengers to go overboard on desserts. Of course, the ability of a super-consumer of desserts to avoid gaining weight is a topic so remarkable it is difficult to refrain from commenting upon.

I'm not a fan of most of the desserts in the MDR on NCL. However, the brownie sundae and cheesecake in the Blue Lagoon are really good. As is the crepe station in the buffet area in the evenings. I've heard the chocolate fondue in LeBistro is great as well, but I haven't had it yet.

I've only been on HAL, and the desserts aren't worth much, but they always have a "crumble" on the menu, which - if it's a fruit I like - I'll order with vanilla ice cream. YUM.

And I ALWAYS have to have a few bread puddings / vanilla sauce in the Lido.

And, to be honest, I REALLY enjoy getting a good chocolate chip cookie with a scoop of vanilla from the Lido in the afternoon......

Barb in so cal ("feathers")

...love them all. Princess, RCCL, or Celebrity. Attached are a few of the desserts served on Celebrity Solstice during a "brunch"..........there were more but I had to stop taking photos and start eating...:)

Solstice1a.jpg.7befa54cbabaf04996ffcf7ed4245eb9.jpg

Solstice2a.jpg.8f52a61626ba364a360ca250989dcba4.jpg

Solstice3a.jpg.1d514fc3a964e5461bb62c9362b0e26e.jpg

Solstice4a.jpg.b4642ec19ff752fbd28e7ec13a27c4a4.jpg

Solstice5a.jpg.ab79fcc4f0f1cb479529b45c1294db4b.jpg

Archived