Royal Princess obstructed balcony

svsw

I'm seeing balcony cabins on Emerald Deck as obstructed view - does anyone know specifics, how is the view obstructed, is the balcony glass, any restrictions when the balcony can be used?

I'm seeing balcony cabins on Emerald Deck as obstructed view - does anyone know specifics, how is the view obstructed, is the balcony glass, any restrictions when the balcony can be used?

No 'time of day' or 'in port/at sea' restrictions to the balcony use. Balcony is going to have a glass wall unless you are in one of the five forward cabins on Emerald Deck and then it is a bulkhead. For most of them the view is obstructed (when seated) by a lifeboat in front of them, more or less would be depending on if you are in between davits. There are some on Emerald Deck that will say they are obstructed, but the only obstruction would be in the views looking forward and/or aft since they are at the same level as the top of the lifeboats. Those cabins are usually amidships under SeaWalk/SeaView Bar, forward of the lifeboats, or aft of the lifeboats. Look very carefully at the deck plans and you'll be able to tell.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information. We will be on the Royal in January and just got our cabin assignment, E614 which is a Deluxe obstructed. From the looks of the plan, we may be between tenders if we're lucky. We cruise enough that we are much less picky than we used to be. We are glad to be near the aft stairway and elevators.

• 3 months later...
Thanks for the information. We will be on the Royal in January and just got our cabin assignment, E614 which is a Deluxe obstructed. From the looks of the plan, we may be between tenders if we're lucky. We cruise enough that we are much less picky than we used to be. We are glad to be near the aft stairway and elevators.

Hi,

I am booked in this same cabin for my cruise in May. Do you have any pictures? How obstructed was the view?

Hi,

Looking for input from anyone that has sailed in an obstructed balcony on the Royal.

I booked E327, a cabin between two tenders.

Looking at many pics of the ship, I am concerned that the obstruction will be large support beams supporting adjacent tenders. Would I have a better view, staying in a cabin with the tender in front of it where I would be able to see the horizon?

What would you do? Thanks for your input.

I think it really depends on where your cabin is located on Emerald deck. We were in cabin E319 in December and were located right in the middle of the second forward life boat. We could see out over the lifeboat without any obstructions while sitting on the balcony. Could not see down, however, but didn't both us. So just check the deck plan as I believe the life boats near the aft are taller so the view may be blocked more than forward.

Enjoy your cruise; she's a gorgeous ship!

• 1 year later...

What about M123 which also shows it as being obstructed?

I can't see any obstruction there and we are right next to a Deluxe Balcony which certainly won't be. We are back from the Bridge wing so that could be the only 'slight obstruction' I can see...........

We sail July 20th round Britain.

I can't see any obstruction there and we are right next to a Deluxe Balcony which certainly won't be. We are back from the Bridge wing so that could be the only 'slight obstruction' I can see...........

The only 'obstruction' to your view that I can think of would be the bridge wing that sticks out, other than that there really isn't anything...

17493686156_304baa8b8a_c.jpg

17493686586_5015f19e9e_c.jpg

The only 'obstruction' to your view that I can think of would be the bridge wing that sticks out, other than that there really isn't anything...

17493686156_304baa8b8a_c.jpg

17493686586_5015f19e9e_c.jpg

Many thanks for your quick reply - just as I thought! That can be the only explanation.

Renmar has a great site with the Emerald Deck cabins all labeled. However, keep in mind that in some of the pictures the angle in which you are viewing the cabins is off-set, and not dead-on. So keep that in mind when checking out your cabin and whether it's obstructed by a lifeboat davit.

https://sites.google.com/site/royalregalprincess/home/8-emerald

And don't forget, once you are aboard, to take pictures of your balcony - then come back and post them (or forward them) to Renmar's site.

:D

Edited by dmwnc1959

Dave is correct - the "obstruction" is the bridge wing. I've sailed in M119 which is also "obstructed". Personally, the bridge wing made for some great viewing while docking and leaving port.....

Renmar has a great site with the Emerald Deck cabins all labeled. However, keep in mind that in some of the pictures the angle in which you are viewing the cabins is off-set, and not dead-on. So keep that in mind when checking out your cabin and whether it's obstructed by a lifeboat davit.

https://sites.google.com/site/royalregalprincess/home/8-emerald

And don't forget, once you are aboard, to take pictures of your balcony - then come back and post them (or forward them) to Renmar's site.

:D

Thanks Dave for mentioning my site and also to encourage people to send pictures. Much appreciated.

I'm also working on the problem of the angled view. Soon I will have it sorted out (I hope).

Theo

I just had room E335. there is a tender right in front of the balcony. It doesn't effect your view of the horizon but you can't look straight down or at anything close to the ship.

Do you happen to have any pictures from the balcony? We are in E334 in January.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on Lido on the Royal last March. We booked same cabin for Nov.30.The first cruise on Royal we had the typivcal balcony and it was not fun at all. This one is L101 which is smack in front of the ship.

The only obstruction is a steel bulkhead instead of plexglass. You can stand by the rail and see 180 degrees. The balcony is 12 ft x 10ft and comes with a large table and chairs. Same price as a deluxe balcony. Room has a couch instead of that chair you have to move very time you want to go out.

We had 14 people on our balcony for a cabin crawl with Cruise Critic members.

Myrna

We were on Lido on the Royal last March. We booked same cabin for Nov.30.The first cruise on Royal we had the typical balcony and it was not fun at all. This one is L101 which is smack in front of the ship.

The only obstruction is a steel bulkhead instead of plexglass. You can stand by the rail and see 180 degrees. The balcony is 12 ft x 10ft and comes with a large table and 4 chairs. Same price as a deluxe balcony. Room has a couch instead of that chair you have to move very time you want to go out.

We had 14 people on our balcony for a cabin crawl with Cruise Critic members.

Myrna

• 7 months later...

Here are some photo's I took when I cruised on Royal Princess back in 2014. I was in cabin E614 I thought it was great, could look out no problems, and down a little between the hoists. Only obstruction really was looking downwards left or right.

1655343238_viewfrominside.jpg.4aed9b20967bd892741785e96bd526d1.jpg

772485576_frombalcony.jpg.56d73572846f31bc98278ad811316d65.jpg

1699799286_lookingforward-rightfrombalcony.jpg.ac489965b28d00f08cecd9f06056652c.jpg

366842137_lookingup.jpg.129eb419f705a68ca91b18d179895b40.jpg