How Does Time Work

slmwo

I am asking on RC thread because I thought this might differ by cruiseline....

Does the ship time stay the same or change when you cross into different time zones. And are port times (ie. 8-4) based on ship time or the time at the Port?

Thanks for the clarification!

Does the ship time stay the same or change when you cross into different time zones. And are port times (ie. 8-4) based on ship time or the time at the Port?

Port times are always based on ship time. Sometimes the ship stays on the same time zone, and sometimes it doesn't. Unfortunately, there's no way to predict what a particular sailing will do with regard to changing time zones.

Change of ship times depends a lot on the Captain. Some like to be in sync with the port they are at , others like to keep the ship on the same time .

Well, thanks for your information-looks like ill remain confused! ;)

Generally it's not an issue, unless you are trying to coordinate with a private excursion, and you have to determine if the pick-up/drop-off times are going to work. Then it can be very frustrating. I'd probably check with some roll calls with the same itinerary a few weeks before my cruise and see how the ship handled it. Even then, all bets are off if the Captain is different for your cruise.

Even if you are booking with a private excursion, you still MUST go by "ship's time"....all the ship's clocks will reflect the time you must adhere to...so set your watch to whatever time the ship says it is. Your private guide will understand how this stuff works. You will go by ship's time, no matter what.

If there is a time change, the Captain will announce it, and it will be in your compass....

It's really not the big deal that you are imagining it to be.

Really nothing to remain confused about. The ship time will be clearly published and announced daily if / when there is a change. We have never had any issue with clarity as to the ship time when in ports or otherwise - and excursions and other activities are synced in with that.

I guess what you were hoping for is that there is a standard protocol followed for time zone changes, which may not be the case. :)

Even if you are booking with a private excursion, you still MUST go by "ship's time"....all the ship's clocks will reflect the time you must adhere to...so set your watch to whatever time the ship says it is. Your private guide will understand how this stuff works. You will go by ship's time, no matter what.

If there is a time change, the Captain will announce it, and it will be in your compass....

It's really not the big deal that you are imagining it to be.

Not really.

If you book a private excursion in Cozumel at their time 9:00 AM ship time could be 10:00 AM.

The island really doesn't care what time the ship is using. Been there, done it.

Not really.

If you book a private excursion in Cozumel at their time 9:00 AM ship time could be 10:00 AM.

The island really doesn't care what time the ship is using. Been there, done it.

cb at sea posts that same inaccurate reply nearly every time this topic comes up. Sometimes, I think they have it programmed in as an auto reply.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

It really shouldn't be an issue. It will be extremely clear if you have to change your watch (Cruise Compass, etc.) Just keep your watch on ship time. And if you go off on your own in port, just make sure you compare watches with any locals (taxi drivers) you schedule with, even if you didn't change your watch.

Thanks so much, all! And yes, I know it will go too fast!!

The reason I ask is that we've booked an excursion in Grand Cayman that specifically asked if we were docking on Cayman time and I didn't know how to answer.

Just FYI, due to the conflicting responses, I contacted Freedom of the Seas concierge. they told me that they stay on eastern time and that all port times are based on eastern time. I'm not sure I trust them to be giving me 100% accurate information!

When we were on the Freedom in March we stayed on Eastern time. Our tour operator just waited for us. You can get a phone number and call (or have the information people call) when you get there but honestly, they know when the ship docks.

When we were on the Freedom in March we stayed on Eastern time. Our tour operator just waited for us. You can get a phone number and call (or have the information people call) when you get there but honestly, they know when the ship docks.

Thanks so much-makes me feel better!!

Be careful if you use a cell phone as your primary time piece. Phones can automatically update their clock to local time, making you think you have a full hour to spare in port when in actuality they are untying the ship and pulling in the fenders for sail-away!

Some independent excursions don't even ask whether you're on a ship or staying at a hotel.

• 2 weeks later...
cb at sea posts that same inaccurate reply nearly every time this topic comes up. Sometimes, I think they have it programmed in as an auto reply.

I have to disagree with you on this.

We booked a private excursion on an island, and the island time was 9:00 AM. The ship time was 10:00 time. The island tour knew nothing of our ship, it just knew that we were three people on planet earth booking their tour on their island at 9:00 AM.

The ship time could have been midnight, but, as I said, the island and the tour company did not care or even know that we were coming in on a ship.

So, your repsonse is about as inaccurate as could possibly be.

time is a wibbley wobbly ball...

that being said they will be VERY clear about which one to go by ..announcements, signage at the security lines, in the daily planner

the only time you need to worry is when ship time and local time are different and you are trying to coordinate a non ship excursion.

Archived