how far out do you normally book?

bethaniesmom

Typically I've been booking things 3-4 months out, although for the last couple that number has been increasing a bit. My next cruise in December was booked back in June (final payment date is a bit less than a month away now) and my friends are already looking into a Summer 2014 Alaska cruise (which is turning out to be plan B since it looks like the original plan to do a Mediterranean cruise isn't particularly feasible, although we're still looking at 2015.)

Being from Seattle, I do occasionally see e-mails for last-minute deals, but at this point I just don't have the flexibility to do that kind of thing right now. As is, I have enough trouble getting away from work as is, I'm pretty sure asking for a week off on short notice would be... problematic.

Unfortunately, what works for you does not work for me. Never have I received any kind of last minute offer and have had that sign up for years. I check occasionally just to see if it's there. I guess they feel I cruise enough.

Sorry to hear that you are not getting the emails even though you are signed-up for them. Not to rub it in I just got another one last night but nothing that interests me at this time. Shortest lead is about a week out longest in the email is around end of October. Wish we could cruise as much as you do but we are still working but thinking about retiring this coming year.

Do keep doing the live from postings as I follow along and very much enjoy reading and pretending to be onboard in my mind.

I did both booked about a year out and then got a "deal" that was three weeks out. We have gone on 18 cruises which included Alaska, Caribbean, Hawaii.

Since we will be celebrating our 50th ann. in May '14(can't believe it) I'm trying to select a cruise. Hawaii seems to be the top choice we were there in '07 but didn't do Kauai. My DH doesn't want Europe so does anyone have any suggestions?? Would love to hear what you have to say:)

Thanks,

Carol

Normally, 9 months or so prior. That way we pretty much always get the cabin we want. Our TA is VERY good about monitoring prices and more often then not between the time we book and the time we sail she'll call at least once to tell us the rate went down (Frequently, more than once). But if a super duper deal comes along (like it did in May) we booked a couple of weeks before the sailing.

Sorry to hear that you are not getting the emails even though you are signed-up for them. Not to rub it in I just got another one last night but nothing that interests me at this time. Shortest lead is about a week out longest in the email is around end of October. Wish we could cruise as much as you do but we are still working but thinking about retiring this coming year.

Do keep doing the live from postings as I follow along and very much enjoy reading and pretending to be onboard in my mind.

Thank you, Bill. I appreciate it.

We book as soon as the itineraries are available...1 to 2 years in advance.

We're working our way down our Bucket List!! ;) Usually manage to catch a few price reductions along the way too. (Some intinerary prices don't go down & the launch price ends up being the lowest price) When you book early you can also pick whatever cabin location you wish....nice perk! :D

Pat :)

Since we will be celebrating our 50th ann. in May '14(can't believe it) I'm trying to select a cruise. Hawaii seems to be the top choice we were there in '07 but didn't do Kauai. My DH doesn't want Europe so does anyone have any suggestions?? Would love to hear what you have to say:)

If you want something like Hawaii, but a little more exotic, why not one of Princess' Hawaii/Tahiti cruises? Then you get to see both sets of islands.

Another possibility is Australia/New Zealand. It has something of a European flavor in the big cities, but there's so much more to do. We did that cruise a few years ago, with a few days at the Great Barrier Reef beforehand, and it was absolutely wonderful!

Archived