how far out do you normally book?

bethaniesmom

five years ago we happened across a Celebrity cruise that was a very good deal, air fare was right too, so we booked our cruise two weeks before the departure date. Normally, however, we book about six to seven months out. We have suddenly found that we will have some vacation time coming the end of October and wonder what kind of good deals are out there this close to departure. So, I am curious, when do you think is the best time to book? This time we are leaning toward a Princess cruise.

Beverly

I book when the cruise is priced at the maximum amount, or less, I would pay. You can't depend on the price dropping, then calling your TA for a price reduction. If it doesn't hit that price, I don't go. The farthest out I've booked is about six months, the closest has been about five weeks. Usually I get my best deals after final payment date.

Me three. We have three trips booked for next year and are pretty sure what we will do in 2015 assuming offerings match our thoughts.

I'm not finished with '14 yet. We have three too. Looking for something for summer/fall. Then there's the World Cruise in '15 which will just about eat up all money for that year.

We just booked for Christmas/New Year's 2014. I often book over a year out if it's an itinerary and timing I really want, and the price is acceptable. then I haunt my TA's website for all that time, waiting for a price drop. ;)

That being said, I have booked last minute (60 days, once only 3 weeks) before. While it's fun having that 'last minute thrill', it can also be a pain finding reasonable airfare (especially if you're going overseas) and you never get your dining preference, which can be stressful (we have to board super early and beg the Maitre 'd to change us around). I also find that the private guides for shore excursions can be booked up if you try too late. Still, if I see a great last minute deal and I can swing it, I'll go for it!

We have one more booked for 2013 (Already did 2 others this year), 3 booked for 2014 and one so far booked for 2015.. Hubby is totally retiring early in 2015 and he wants to do the British Isles that year so will be booking that as soon as the schedules are released for Europe.

Part of the FUN is planning!:D:D:D

I usually book 3-8 months out. Shortest was less than a week out, what a great price I got on that one. For notification of the greatest deals go into My Princess and find the place labeled "standby deals" and click on it and sign-up for email notices for the departure ports that you might want to cruise from on short notice. I get a new email almost every week telling about the best deals. Some of them at several months out while others are have your bags packed and jump on the ship. The prices will be the same as you can find when you do a search for a cruise on the Princess web site (logged in as a past passenger). The email just helps find them and let you know.

We have one more booked for 2013 (Already did 2 others this year), 3 booked for 2014 and one so far booked for 2015.. Hubby is totally retiring early in 2015 and he wants to do the British Isles that year so will be booking that as soon as the schedules are released for Europe.

Part of the FUN is planning!:D:D:D

I agree. Really enjoy the research and also connecting on CC.

We normally book from 2-4 months out. We seem to get the best deals this way and yet can still find flights (using FF miles). We just booked a cruise that leaves in Dec. on Tuesday.

I'm not sure I could stand the wait if booking a year or more in advance!

I usually book 3-8 months out. Shortest was less than a week out, what a great price I got on that one. For notification of the greatest deals go into My Princess and find the place labeled "standby deals" and click on it and sign-up for email notices for the departure ports that you might want to cruise from on short notice. I get a new email almost every week telling about the best deals. Some of them at several months out while others are have your bags packed and jump on the ship. The prices will be the same as you can find when you do a search for a cruise on the Princess web site (logged in as a past passenger). The email just helps find them and let you know.

Unfortunately, what works for you does not work for me. Never have I received any kind of last minute offer and have had that sign up for years. I check occasionally just to see if it's there. I guess they feel I cruise enough.

Me three. We have three trips booked for next year and are pretty sure what we will do in 2015 assuming offerings match our thoughts.

Me four! As I need an accessible cabin, I know that if I don't book as soon as they are available, I probably won't get to cruise. After looking through the new Atlas yesterday afternoon, I'm looking at a May '15 Panama Canal cruise.

4-10 months out. Now that I am retired there are more reasons to go when we want to go. No kids in the house and it is all FREE time to GO! We just have to find the cruise with the ports we want to see. Growing up a while ago, I want to go see the places I read about in the History books we had to study and take tests on. Now I can set foot there and enjoy the reality of it all! This way is better than doing a Bucket List.

With Princess, I used to book 15-11 months prior. Not anymore! I've learned my lesson for the most common itineraries. It's best to wait until after the final payment to get the best prices. This only works in certain situations though.

To book after final payment, you can't be too picky about the cabin location, must be happy with a common category (i.e. not suites) and roll the dice a little. It has paid off for me quite a few times. :)

We are retired, so generally booked 1.5 to 2 years in advance. We are booked on 4 cruises from now through April 2015. Looking to book for the fall of 2015, when cruises open for bookings. We already know what we want to book.

Once out of 45+ cruises we have taken, we booked after final payment, got a great deal and found good airfare as well.

We don't look for last minute deals because we pay as we go and have planned our travel budget to fit the plans. Am sure there are good deals to be had, provided you can find the air component.

I'm not finished with '14 yet. We have three too. Looking for something for summer/fall. Then there's the World Cruise in '15 which will just about eat up all money for that year.

Hm, April through December is a long stretch to stay on solid ground. Are you sure about this?

I rarely book more than six months out, mostly because heretofore my schedule has been changing every semester.

Part of the problem to me in booking way in advance is that while you want to enjoy the anticipation, you also want to balance it -- too long a period of pre-cruise anticipation, especially for a particularly memorable itinerary, and the cruise itself is going to go by even faster. I bet there could be a formula to calculate the proper ratio of cruise length : booking date : specialness of itinerary. I might have to work on this . . . . bearing in mind my Ph.D. is certainly not in maths.

Archived