big table, done meal, wait for others ??

On one cruise we were seated with another couple who couldn't speak English. The woman in very poor English asked "how you get here?" "What do you mean, how did we get here?

We've been seated with her type as well. We figured she meant what were we doing at HER table so we told her the hostess sat us there and we didn't like it any better than she did. She seemed to understand that and was miffed the entire night to our amusement. We chatted non stop while she sulked.

You were lucky. We only had one cruise where we weren't seated with family or friends and they weren't matched to us at all. We had absolutely nothing in common with them. Two were elderly sisters, four were three young girls and their sugar daddy. The whole meals were uncomfortable to say the least. We couldn't wait for the meals to be over.

A few times we were at a table for four and got tablemates that we quickly knew we would not bond with.

On the way out ask the social hostess or MD to please move us to a larger table and generally was done the next night.

Only problem is when we saw them and that was a little embarrasing but oh well it is our vacation.

Another reason why we have any time dining and a table for 2. No worries of offending any one.:p

^^^

This! Going on our 2nd cruise to celebrate our anniversary and figured we'll eat with anyone for breakfast and lunch but dinner was our time.

I've only been on one cruise and seated with fam and friends. Although we didn't care if anyone left for whatever reason, one person at the table thought everyone should stay to the bitter end (we'd all agreed to eat in the MDR every day so we could spend some time together). Problem with that was at our table for 12 someone was always late making the meal go longer. Plus DH & I figured if you came and spent some time that was good enough but this person just couldn't get over it. I think some peeps just need something to complain about no matter what.

Hope the OP has a great cruise and great tablemates! :)

On almost all of our cruises after a few days our tablemates were our friends and we would tell what we are doing in case they wanted to join us.

Same here. In fact, on the past three cruises I've enjoyed tablemates so much that I didn't want to leave early. We were often among the last tables to clear out (I did give an extra tip to our servers for putting up with us).

If we find ourselves at a large table and we have things to do, like meet up with friends, we just say something like "if you will excuse us we have something to do. Please enjoy the rest of your meal." Then we say goodbye, get up and leave.

OP, I would handle the situation on the very first evening. Just say, " My (wife, husband, partner,..._____) and I are not dessert eaters nor coffee drinkers so we hope that everyone understands that it's nothing personal but we will be leaving the dining room after we are finished with our main course." Then make sure that each evening, as you get up to leave, to tell the remaining table guests to enjoy their dessert and have a lovely evening.

Wheather they understand or not will no longer be your problem. You were polite and did notify them on the very first evening. BTW, I would also say the same thing to the waitstaff on night #1 as well.

:)

Same here. In fact, on the past three cruises I've enjoyed tablemates so much that I didn't want to leave early. We were often among the last tables to clear out (I did give an extra tip to our servers for putting up with us).

We have met the most interesting people and with fb easy to stay in touch.

As a matter of fact cruising with two couples we had met and stayed in contact with next month.icon7.gif

I disagree to an extent. Just leaving the table for no good reason is not very polite. If for some reason I do need to leave before others are done, I explain my reason and ask to be excused. There's a reason your parents teach you to ask to be excused instead of just being presumptions

Carnival Destiny jan 2010

Carnival Liberty 9/28/13

Carnival Victory 10/5/13

Nothing impolite about leaving a table of strangers . I don't sit there and wait for them to finish... I didn't book my cruise with them....:rolleyes:

We've been seated with her type as well. We figured she meant what were we doing at HER table so we told her the hostess sat us there and we didn't like it any better than she did. She seemed to understand that and was miffed the entire night to our amusement. We chatted non stop while she sulked.

being deliberately rude is so very amusing, isn't it?

there would be no way my hubby would be leaving that table without dessert, coffee and liquors :D and I being the loving wife I am would truly understand LOL

Thanks all for the amazing replies.. yes we would be very polite as always

Good for you.

See women like you and my DW know how much your husbands would enjoy an evening of good conversation about art , and world affairs with them. *LOL*

Were their names Holly, Bridget & Kendra:D.

Gregg

Could have been Moe, Larry and Curly for all we know. They never spoke to us. Only time "Sugar Daddy" spoke was when the girls didn't show up. Then he complained that he paid for the girls to cruise with him and they were ignoring him.

Hate to admit this but I had to Google Holly, Bridget & Kendra. Old age sucks! Now if you were to ask me if it was Diana, Mary and Florence, I'd know you were talking about the Supremes.

You were lucky. We only had one cruise where we weren't seated with family or friends and they weren't matched to us at all. We had absolutely nothing in common with them. Two were elderly sisters, four were three young girls and their sugar daddy. The whole meals were uncomfortable to say the least. We couldn't wait for the meals to be over.

That begs another question. If it's polite for my DW to excuse herself from the table early, is it impolite for me to stay?;)

That begs another question. If it's polite for my DW to excuse herself from the table early, is it impolite for me to stay?;)

I have excused myself from family/friends before. Sometimes, I didn't feel well, and others I needed to get some fresh air and "me" time. Then again, family/friends know how I am and they have no problem with me jetting out early. I think it depends on the individual situation. There have been times that I wanted to sit and chat with people and my family was ready to leave. I'm perfectly fine with it. Maybe talk with your DW beforehand so there are no awkward moments?

I have excused myself from family/friends before. Sometimes, I didn't feel well, and others I needed to get some fresh air and "me" time. Then again, family/friends know how I am and they have no problem with me jetting out early. I think it depends on the individual situation. There have been times that I wanted to sit and chat with people and my family was ready to leave. I'm perfectly fine with it. Maybe talk with your DW beforehand so there are no awkward moments?

That's a good idea. I'll ask my DW beforehand if I can stay and chat with the ladies.:D

I disagree to an extent. Just leaving the table for no good reason is not very polite. If for some reason I do need to leave before others are done, I explain my reason and ask to be excused. There's a reason your parents teach you to ask to be excused instead of just being presumptions

Carnival Destiny jan 2010

Carnival Liberty 9/28/13

Carnival Victory 10/5/13

I seriously disagree with this.

When you are dining with people that you are only with during dinner, just because you happen to have been seated with them, it is in no way rude to excuse yourself so you can go on with your vacation. It isn't 'for no good reason'. You might want to catch a show or you may have plans other than watching strangers finish a meal.

This is not the same as having people at your tabel in your home...or having dinner at someone else's home. It's a cruise ship.

Archived