Is celebrity better than royal caribean??

Mrsfshesgawjus

Comparisons are very subjective. As one who spends a lot of time on cruise critic, I have found some very smart and objective posters here and they always seem to agree with me. I have also come across some who must be dumb and blind because they always seem to disagree with my opinions.;)

We like Celebrity's older ships better than the new ones but most probably like the new S-class. Whenever someone says they like this better than that, it is important to know whether you have agreed with the opinion holder on other topics. There is probably no right or wrong opinion, unless of course it is contrary to mine... (and the reverse is true for those who disagree). :rolleyes:

I don't think that one line is "better" than the other, they both have their strong points and they both have a strong following. I can't imagine having a bad time on either depending on what we want at the time.

My opinions are based on what I have experienced and of course a very selective memory.

Love this post! :D

So as a graph it lacks certain elements required for validity.

BTW, am I right now as I agreed with you.:rolleyes:

Love this post! :D

At least two very smart Ausies on this thread... :D

There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics. (Benjamin Disraeli and Mark Twain)

The graph is not supported by the CC's Cruisers Choice Awards for Best Overall Big Ship.

Though the CC Choice Awards do support the hypothesis the X n RCI are very close in evaluations.

However the S class has a higher average rating then the RCI ships which would mean Cruisetails graph is faulty.

Those are the statistics. They are biased / weighted by the fact those who voted actually sailed the ships they evaluated.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/cruiserschoice_index.cfm?src=nav

4 Solstice Class ships were in the top ten for CC's Cruisers Choice Awards for Best Overall Big Ship. With 1 rated 4.8, 3 rated 4.7 and the other a 4.6.

4 were RCI with Allure 4.8 and 3 at 4.6.

Same as usual - let's talk about anyting but the subject.

We'll talk about the color, the shape of the graph, where it comes from, what Mark Twain said - but never what the graph actually says.

Because if we start talking on the subject, we'll have to work on our posts dealing with ships facts.

But ships facts are so obvious and boring...

So the facts are that when reviews of big ships is compiled RCI and X ships receive very similar ratings though X is rated slightly higher.

Those who rate X ships higher do so because the ships meet their personal taste and needs the best. The same applies for those who rate the RCI ships high.

For whatever reason X cruisers rate S class slightly higher then RCI cruisers rate their ships.

Why does your personal opinion graph have more value then the reviews of thousands of CC cruisers?

It is like saying a a certain car is best because it has the most space and horse power and best suspension yet those who buy Prius love their vehicles and it meets all their needs and to them fuel consumption is the most important.

How do you convince Prius owners they are paying a high premium for gas consumption savings?

They already know that and have made a decision that is what they want.

So convincing X cruisers that RCI ships are better because of a direct hard asset comparison does not eliminate the holistic evaluation of the cruise experience and will not convince X cruisers that RCI is better.

It is your personal opinion and evaluation that weights your graph, that is important to you but is not why X cruisers like Celebrity.

Getting a free drink when they board X may have more impact on their evaluation then anything on your graph. Same as Princess cruisers use the best Pizza at sea as their bench make to compare ships. I agree with them on the pizza but it has no impact on why I sail Princess. But to be honest the welcome aboard drink and cold towels at the gangway on a hot day does colour my evaluation of X.

Regarding sailing during Christmas holiday that posters mentioned above -- would you expect lots of children the week prior to Christmas or just the week of the 25th and through New Year's? We're booked on X Dec 15 to 22, 2013 and I never considered there might be more children on board than usual.

We were on the Reflection that week last year. We had my 9 yr old with us and did not think there would be any other kids. I think there were about 100 or so but you would have never known it. Never saw many of them around and the ones we did see seemed well behaved.

We pretty much only travel during school breaks (with last year's exception) and I will say I have never run into all the antics some of the other posters describe. Not saying it doesn't happen, just saying we have never experienced it. We sail Celebrity and Princess.

Edited to add: Have sailed RCL many times but long ago when I was in my 20's. I find that they can be more expensive and I would not use all the amenities.

We'll talk about the color, the shape of the graph, where it comes from, what Mark Twain said - but never what the graph actually says.

Because if we start talking on the subject, we'll have to work on our posts dealing with ships facts.

Yes.

Thank you for ship facts and photos you've provided on the message board.

-Marisa

If it could be proven that one cruise line was better than another, there would be a mass exodus from one to the other.

If one were to ask whether M-class ships were inferior or superior to S-class you would get a very varied response based on personal preferences, the same if one were to ask about the superiority of Radiance class vs the other RC classes.

We have been on back to back cruises on the same ship and our experience was very different on the same itinerary, with practically the same staff.

Fact: Celebrity M-class ships have the same basic hull design as Radiance class on Royal. Both are just over 90,000 tons. Millennium has a passenger capacity of 2,138 passengers, Radiance 2,501 passengers. Both ships have their fans but one carries nearly 400 more passengers in the same space. For one who likes personal space, I think that fact could be considered in picking a ship.

There is just too much personal bias for anyone to say that A is better than B or B better than A.

The experience is just different and both companies seem to be successful in meeting the expectations of most of their loyal customers again and again.

We will be cruising Eclipse~Oasis~Century~Constellation~Allure in 2014 because personal likes dictate our preferences, not unsubstantiated facts that can be manipulated by anyone who has different biases from ours..

As always, we are so glad that we all have so much choice to pursue our cruising obsession without everyone else picking the same ship... :D

How do you come up with your facts for food ratings?

CC review has 6 of 10 top positions for Best Cruise ship food going to X and only the Radiance making the top 10 list for RCI?

While on the Freedom of the Sea I attended a sit down lunch with crew members, I complemented them on the ships food saying it was comparable to X.

I was told in very specific terms that the food on RCI was not close to the level of X and they knew this by the cost spent per passenger for provisions.

So what facts or how do you statistically get your numbers for your food graph comparison?

I agree with you on it, I believe the food is pretty comparable but how did you produce it?

The food tastes great on both lines but they spend more for better ingredients, cuts of meat and fish on X then RCi.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I like the food on Celebrity more than on the Royal Caribbean ships. But if you want entertainment I do not believe that any other ship can compare to the Oasis and Allure. Both of these ships will keep you as busy as you choose. If you have the time and money a week cruise on the Allure or Oasis followed by a week on one of the Celebrity ships (Solstice class) is a wonderful vacation. A B2B on sister cruise lines.

I see that you have also sailed on Crystal in addition to RCI and X. We have only sailed on RCI and X (have current booking for a transatlantic with X in October/Aqua Class cabin). Our TA is BEGGING us to book on Crystal. There is a not insignificant price difference. We are in our 60's and enjoy sea days (hence the transatlantic crossing) but also enjoy port days to explore on our own versus some of the hustled/hyped excursions on RCI.

We would like to do a Northern Europe cruise w/a stop in St. Petersburg.

What do you think? Is the extra coin for Crystal worth it?

I see that you have also sailed on Crystal in addition to RCI and X. We have only sailed on RCI and X (have current booking for a transatlantic with X in October/Aqua Class cabin). Our TA is BEGGING us to book on Crystal. There is a not insignificant price difference. We are in our 60's and enjoy sea days (hence the transatlantic crossing) but also enjoy port days to explore on our own versus some of the hustled/hyped excursions on RCI.

We would like to do a Northern Europe cruise w/a stop in St. Petersburg.

What do you think? Is the extra coin for Crystal worth it?

Smoke?

I don't and won't get close to Crystal.

jls

I am so glad I found this thread, as I am very interested to read everyone's impressions! I am one who has sailed on Celebrity but am considering Royal Caribbean! (Opposite of OP.)

But just like the OP, I am considering a different line not because I am unhappy with the first one -- in my case, Celebrity. I have no beefs with Celebrity. It was great. All three cruises I have taken have been on different lines -- Celebrity, Carnival, HAL. I choose a cruise by date, itinerary, price, and atmosphere (ship "culture," if you will).

Some things (such as the smoking policy) have changed since we sailed on Celebrity in 2005, so I am learning as I read.

If it could be proven that one cruise line was better than another, there would be a mass exodus from one to the other.

If one were to ask whether M-class ships were inferior or superior to S-class you would get a very varied response based on personal preferences, the same if one were to ask about the superiority of Radiance class vs the other RC classes.

We have been on back to back cruises on the same ship and our experience was very different on the same itinerary, with practically the same staff.

Fact: Celebrity M-class ships have the same basic hull design as Radiance class on Royal. Both are just over 90,000 tons. Millennium has a passenger capacity of 2,138 passengers, Radiance 2,501 passengers. Both ships have their fans but one carries nearly 400 more passengers in the same space. For one who likes personal space, I think that fact could be considered in picking a ship.

There is just too much personal bias for anyone to say that A is better than B or B better than A.

The experience is just different and both companies seem to be successful in meeting the expectations of most of their loyal customers again and again.

We will be cruising Eclipse~Oasis~Century~Constellation~Allure in 2014 because personal likes dictate our preferences, not unsubstantiated facts that can be manipulated by anyone who has different biases from ours..

As always, we are so glad that we all have so much choice to pursue our cruising obsession without everyone else picking the same ship... :D

Actually that number for the Radiance class is her total passenger capcity. The number that you quoted for the Millie class is only for double occupancy. The Millie class carries 2368 with all uppers full. Radiance has 1056 cabins which places her double occupancy at 2112. Not much difference at double occupancy. I do think that RCI added about ten cabins during her last dry dock.

So the facts are that when reviews of big ships is compiled RCI and X ships receive very similar ratings though X is rated slightly higher.

Those who rate X ships higher do so because the ships meet their personal taste and needs the best. The same applies for those who rate the RCI ships high.

For whatever reason X cruisers rate S class slightly higher then RCI cruisers rate their ships.

Why does your personal opinion graph have more value then the reviews of thousands of CC cruisers?

It is like saying a a certain car is best because it has the most space and horse power and best suspension yet those who buy Prius love their vehicles and it meets all their needs and to them fuel consumption is the most important.

How do you convince Prius owners they are paying a high premium for gas consumption savings?

They already know that and have made a decision that is what they want.

So convincing X cruisers that RCI ships are better because of a direct hard asset comparison does not eliminate the holistic evaluation of the cruise experience and will not convince X cruisers that RCI is better.

It is your personal opinion and evaluation that weights your graph, that is important to you but is not why X cruisers like Celebrity.

Getting a free drink when they board X may have more impact on their evaluation then anything on your graph. Same as Princess cruisers use the best Pizza at sea as their bench make to compare ships. I agree with them on the pizza but it has no impact on why I sail Princess. But to be honest the welcome aboard drink and cold towels at the gangway on a hot day does colour my evaluation of X.

Good post. :D:D

I am so glad I found this thread, as I am very interested to read everyone's impressions! I am one who has sailed on Celebrity but am considering Royal Caribbean! (Opposite of OP.)

But just like the OP, I am considering a different line not because I am unhappy with the first one -- in my case, Celebrity. I have no beefs with Celebrity. It was great. All three cruises I have taken have been on different lines -- Celebrity, Carnival, HAL. I choose a cruise by date, itinerary, price, and atmosphere (ship "culture," if you will).

This is how I choose, if all are equal the loyalty question comes into play.:D

Actually that number for the Radiance class is her total passenger capcity. .. I do think that RCI added about ten cabins during her last dry dock.

Sorry, my facts were provided by dubious google searches.. ;)

M-class renovations also added a few more pax..

What is not available is stats on the reduction of on board staff (about 10%) which has had noticeable consequences.

There is another thread now started by someone who had a fantastic experience on Reflection and a poor one on Summit. It is very difficult to make a blanket statement about an individual ship let alone a whole company . We will continue to personally evaluate ships on both lines... :D

Sorry, my facts were provided by dubious google searches.. ;)

M-class renovations also added a few more pax..

What is not available is stats on the reduction of on board staff (about 10%) which has had noticeable consequences.

There is another thread now started by someone who had a fantastic experience on Reflection and a poor one on Summit. It is very difficult to make a blanket statement about an individual ship let alone a whole company . We will continue to personally evaluate ships on both lines... :D

RCI has incorrect info on their site but that does not surprise me at all.

I take all reviews with a grain of salt. I look at it as one persons opinion. Of course there is one poster on this thread who seems to think that "their" opinion is the only one that counts. ;)

I know someone who cruised on the Summit within the last month. It was her first time on X as she is a loyal Royal. She loved the ship and had very few negative comments about it. I think that's why people should not take reviews so seriously. :)

This is not a fact.

Capacity - see post above.

"The same basic hull design" - what is hull?

Look at the ships - the difference is huge despite some very general similarities.

personal likes dictate our preferences, not unsubstantiated facts that can be manipulated by anyone

Before saying things like that - first keep your facts straight.

You have just seen on your own mistakes that ships facts require work as I said before.

The graph is not about personal likes - it's not my business.

The graph is about the ships.

Happy cruising!:)

This is not a fact.

Capacity - see post above.

"The same basic hull design" - what is hull?

Look at the ships - the difference is huge despite some very general similarities.

Before saying things like that - first keep your facts straight.

You have just seen on your own mistakes that ships facts require work as I said before.

The graph is not about personal likes - it's not my business.

The graph is about the ships.

Happy cruising!:)

The hull of the ship is the part of the vessel below the waterline that supports the super structure above the water line. In other words, the bottom of the boat.

What the heck does the graph purport to measure and where did whatever the data is come from?

Archived