San Deigo Hotels

Himself

Just drove by the Wyndham/former HI on the Bay and the cruise terminal. It's pretty much a mess over there with ongoing construction on three major lots and in front of the terminal itself

Great.... Will be there in a little over 2 weeks from now. I'm sure the mess will still be there. I wonder if you can still just walk across the street to get on the ship. Did you notice?

Great.... Will be there in a little over 2 weeks from now. I'm sure the mess will still be there. I wonder if you can still just walk across the street to get on the ship. Did you notice?

We were able to cross the street no problem - there are walkways for pedestrians.

I can certainly second the recommendation of the Best Western on Ash Street. The rooms are large, fridge, micro, etc., and the included breakfast is more than adequate with scrambled eggs, bacon or sausage, pancakes, cereals, fruits, pastries, yoghurt, toast, etc. It is right next to Little Italy with many restaurants and cafes close by and is walkable to the Bay and the cruise terminal. Also provides a shuttle service from/to airport and terminal. I'm not trying to be a commercial for this Hotel but we've stayed there many times pre-cruise and the management is most helpful and accommodating. We'll be there again come February!

Can't beat the Holiday Inn on the Bay for convenience! Embassy Suites on Pacific Hwy is a good one

It is now a Wyndham Hotel. Stayed there May 2013 right after the change over. They still do airport pickup but need to be told whether you are on a domestic or international flight. They never got that figured out for me but nicely refunded my cab fare. The Elephant & Castle is still there on the hotel grounds.:)

There's still a ped crossing that will allow you to cross N. Harbor Dr. at Broadway. Broadway itself though' date=' between Harbor Dr. and Pacific Hwy is closed off due to construction. The big cruise ship parking lot south of the former Holiday Inn on the bay is now about half it's size with construction on three sides[/color']

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
My friends I just wanted to do a little follow up on the Windham at the Bay in San Diego.
I was a bit nervous about booking it because of some bad reviews on Priceline. I decided to book it because of its proximity to the pier. It was a good choice. I liked everything about this hotel and if I were sailing out of San Diego again, this is where I would stay.
By the way, the cruise on the Westerdam down to the Panama Canal and up to Ft. Lauderdale was a wonderful cruise.

[quote name='Himself']My friends I just wanted to do a little follow up on the Windham at the Bay in San Diego.
I was a bit nervous about booking it because of some bad reviews on Priceline. I decided to book it because of its proximity to the pier. It was a good choice. I liked everything about this hotel and if I were sailing out of San Diego again, this is where I would stay.
By the way, the cruise on the Westerdam down to the Panama Canal and up to Ft. Lauderdale was a wonderful cruise.[/QUOTE]

I am glad you had a wonderful cruise! Hope your Christmas is lovely.:)

I think that the problem rooms are allocated for the Priceline customers.

igraf

[quote name='Himself']My friends I just wanted to do a little follow up on the Windham at the Bay in San Diego.
By the way, the cruise on the Westerdam down to the Panama Canal and up to Ft. Lauderdale was a wonderful cruise.[/quote]

By the way, the cruise on the Westerdam down to the Panama Canal and up to Ft. Lauderdale was a wonderful cruise.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the SD hotel update.

[quote name='igraf']I think that the problem rooms are allocated for the Priceline customers.

igraf[/quote]

You are right. I'm familiar with several hotels in San Diego and it is SOP to offer the least desirable rooms to the Priceline customers with an offer to upgrade.

[quote name='FATJACK']You are right. I'm familiar with several hotels in San Diego and it is SOP to offer the least desirable rooms to the Priceline customers with an offer to upgrade.[/quote]

[B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]FATJACK, seeing that you are "familiar with several hotels in San Diego", what would be your recommendation for a hotel, which would include a buffet breakfast, along with a complimentary shuttle from the airport? :)[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='FATJACK']You are right. I'm familiar with several hotels in San Diego and it is SOP to offer the least desirable rooms to the Priceline customers with an offer to upgrade.[/QUOTE]

I got this room on Priceline and I could not have been more pleased!