Signature Beverage Package

dhoogheralf

It would figure that they would be making up for it in the daily rate.....at least with a $10 limit, you may have more choice/selection (maybe).

We found Carnival to have a better wine selection than HAL and even if not using the drink package (like ordering a bottle of wine for instance) the prices were still better. And yes, I was a bit shocked by this considering Carnival's reputation. (HAL still beats the pants off them in service and accommodation imo but the cruise was far better than I had anticipated)

13 wines by the glass eligible for the package? On our recent Maasdam cruise there were 3 total on the by the glass menu under $7.. no reds on the list under $7.

Maybe on cruises where this package was offered they added some selection to the wine list? (fingers crossed) Would love for someone who has the package to gets some pics of a wine list. /beg :)

We found Carnival to have a better wine selection than HAL and even if not using the drink package (like ordering a bottle of wine for instance) the prices were still better. And yes, I was a bit shocked by this considering Carnival's reputation. (HAL still beats the pants off them in service and accommodation imo but the cruise was far better than I had anticipated)

13 wines by the glass eligible for the package? On our recent Maasdam cruise there were 3 total on the by the glass menu under $7.. no reds on the list under $7.

Maybe on cruises where this package was offered they added some selection to the wine list? (fingers crossed) Would love for someone who has the package to gets some pics of a wine list. /beg :)

I agree it seems there is not much to choose from for under $7 from the comments I have read. It has been many years since we were last on Carnival, but it seemed even back then that their wine prices were more reasonable and there was more choice. Maybe the "biggest player on the team" gets the most advantages ???......:confused:

• 4 weeks later...

I would be very annoyed if they had a $50 a day limit as you're paying around $45 a day for the package. It just wouldn't be worth it in the hope of maybe saving $5 a day. But reading the HAL rules I think it is just straight out 15 drinks max a day.

I trying to weigh whether the beverage package is better or the wine package. I do like some red with dinner and I fear with the package I'd get served one drink and then the wine waiter wouldn't return until the meal was almost finished and I'd end up sitting with an empty glass in front of me.

I would be very annoyed if they had a $50 a day limit as you're paying around $45 a day for the package. It just wouldn't be worth it in the hope of maybe saving $5 a day. But reading the HAL rules I think it is just straight out 15 drinks max a day.

I trying to weigh whether the beverage package is better or the wine package. I do like some red with dinner and I fear with the package I'd get served one drink and then the wine waiter wouldn't return until the meal was almost finished and I'd end up sitting with an empty glass in front of me.

If you order wine by the glass, the wine steward does not take care of you - it is your waiter. I think that is what slows things down. Ordering a wine package or a bottle of wine gets you the wine steward whose service is better (at least that has been our experience).

we are considering the package on our upcoming trip. My DH often will hit a bar to pick up drinks for us as i choose a portion of rail on the promenade for sunset....a long standing tradition for us. I doubt he will be able to just bring my gold card to get me a drink. I am guessing we will either both have to go to the bar first or if he goes alone he will get his drink with his gold card and have to pay for the second one for me via the regular key card. Is this how others read it? Same thing in the morning, if he goes up top to get a bloody mary for him and a mimosa for me to have with our room service breakfast on the balcony-he will be able to get one drink on the gold card, and the second pay for. Or do folks think that if he has both gold cards, he can pick up two drinks? Not looking to skirt the system, just playing scenarios out as we plan our trip, knowing our traditions on board. thanks!

• 1 month later...
Just left the ship this morning.

We did purchase the signature beverage package for the 7 days. It was 44.95 per day plus the 15% gratuity. 7 Drinks a day and it paid for itself. Maximum number of drinks is 15 per day.

It was valid for everything under $7.00. The card you receive does say "Includes any beverage priced at $7.00 or lower menu price". This was incorrect - the computer system would not allow $7.00 wine to be entered as a purchase for the program.

All of the bar staff were aware of the card and knew how to charge it. The Main Dining Room was not always aware so be vigilant.

There were precious few red wines available for use with the card. Main Dining room prices for wine were higher than in the bars.

We did use the card in the Explorations Cafe several times without a problem.

If you do not buy the beverage package:

For those that just want a pre dinner cocktail there always seemed to be a happy hour somewhere on the ship that charges $1.00 for the second drink between 4 & 5 PM. There were a few days where there was a venue with $4.00 wine by the glass.

For more value conscious wine choices, consider ordering from the Canaletto menu (even in the dining room). Great value on decent wines. If you do not finish your bottle of wine you can always hold it over for the next night - even if it is in the Pinnacle Grill.

The card was a great convenience.

Do you recall is a Margareta included as a $7 or under drink? Also what happens when you want to buy a friend a drink? Surely they must allow you to do this. I am travelling with family and will want to buy my kids or brother-in-law’s, who may not go with the card, a drink from time to tme. Also what happens if the price of a drink is over $7 - do they simply charge you the difference or much more complicated. Thanks.

Yes,Margeretas are included when using the bar stock but not with premium alcohol. In the cocktail munu there are over 100 drinks to choose from,plus the house wines(not great),plus all beers,plus fancy coffee drinks and bottled water. No you can not buy drinks for others using this package and no to paying the difference for more expensive drinks. The maximum for your drink of choice is 7.00. If you want to buy a drink for someone or buy a more expensive drink then you use your regular room key and it has nothing to do with the package. Remember all adults in the room must purchase the package,not just one person.

Last week we booked an expensive 38 day cruise that included the Signature Beverage Package. 2 days after we booked the cruise the beverage package promo ended and HAL dropped the price of the cruise by $2460 (based on our category). This mean we were paying about $65 a day (for the two of us) for the package. Based on our HAL cruise history (we checked some of cruise invoices) we average a little less then $50 a day (for the two of us) for drinks and wine (we are 4 Star Mariners and buy the discounted Navigator package). So yesterday we re-priced the cruise and saved the $2460.

One other thought. Why in the world would anyone buy a package for $50 a day that is limited to $50 a day in benefits? The best one can do is break even...and its more likely you will not get your monies worth. Its a total win for HAL since at worst they break even...but one can expect that a majority of passengers will use less then their $50 per day limit. What am I missing here?

Hank

There is the Explore 4 and there is the Signature Package. I think people continue to confuse the two. The signature package caps you at a maximun of 15 drinks in a day. 15 times 7 dollars per drink brings you to 105 dollars per day which inludes everyting mentioned throughout the varios threads on the subject. The explore 4 has the cap at 50.00 and that is what has been discontinued. The signature package is alive and well.

• 6 months later...
Last week we booked an expensive 38 day cruise that included the Signature Beverage Package. 2 days after we booked the cruise the beverage package promo ended and HAL dropped the price of the cruise by $2460 (based on our category). This mean we were paying about $65 a day (for the two of us) for the package. Based on our HAL cruise history (we checked some of cruise invoices) we average a little less then $50 a day (for the two of us) for drinks and wine (we are 4 Star Mariners and buy the discounted Navigator package). So yesterday we re-priced the cruise and saved the $2460.

One other thought. Why in the world would anyone buy a package for $50 a day that is limited to $50 a day in benefits? The best one can do is break even...and its more likely you will not get your monies worth. Its a total win for HAL since at worst they break even...but one can expect that a majority of passengers will use less then their $50 per day limit. What am I missing here?

Hank

Exactly, we had the same thing happen on our Alaska cruise, we saved over a 1,000 with no signature drink package compared to the price several weeks later that included the signature drink card. We should all know that when Hal gives away something your paying for it on the other end.

There is the Explore 4 and there is the Signature Package. I think people continue to confuse the two. The signature package caps you at a maximun of 15 drinks in a day. 15 times 7 dollars per drink brings you to 105 dollars per day which inludes everyting mentioned throughout the varios threads on the subject. The explore 4 has the cap at 50.00 and that is what has been discontinued. The signature package is alive and well.

The Explore 4 SBC was the same one you buy. It wasn't capped. The wording on the HAL site was unfortunate and confusing, however. There was also a $50, dollar value beverage card as part of the promo. The $50 beverage card could be used for any beverage, without limit. Once you used the $50, the card was empty.

Having two promo beverage cards with very similar descriptions confused many, many people.

• 1 month later...
Do they count a soda purchase toward your 15 drinks a day or do they only count the adult beverages?

All beverages (that are not FREE) count: soda, Explorations coffee drinks, bottles of water, etc.

Even a glass of real champagne can be ordered, much better then the prosecco.

You can get the house sparkling wine on the Signature Beverage Package, but not actual Champagne. The house bubbly is from France, but it's a Charmat process Cremant, not a Champagne. The Champagnes by the glass are all priced above the $7 cut off.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but since we're talking drinks I thought it was a good place to ask. Is just regular coffee free, or do you need to pay for that as well. I saw the specialty coffees and know they'll cost more, but just a regular cup of coffee in the morning... wondering about that. Thanks :)

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but since we're talking drinks I thought it was a good place to ask. Is just regular coffee free, or do you need to pay for that as well. I saw the specialty coffees and know they'll cost more, but just a regular cup of coffee in the morning... wondering about that. Thanks :)

Yes. Regular coffee is free. No, it doesn't sound stupid. :)

Edited by POA1

With the signature beverage package can you order a double and have it counted as 2 drinks?

Thanks.

There's a five minute limit between drinks that is enforced by the point of sale system computers. Technically, the answer is no. However, if a server inputs the two drinks into the system 5 minutes apart, it can be done.

Be good to your servers and they will be good to you. :cool:

Just remember that getting doubles will turn your SBP into a 7 (stiff) drinks a day package. I'm assuming that you are going to use that last drink to get a bottle of water or a coffee.