Signature Beverage Package

dhoogheralf

• 3 weeks later...
So can I purchase the sig bev package for just myself? Also can I wait to buy it on the ship?

My wife only drinks non-alcoholic beverages.

No. It's got to be purchased for all adults in your stateroom.

So can I purchase the sig bev package for just myself? Also can I wait to buy it on the ship?

My wife only drinks non-alcoholic beverages.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

As POA said you have to purchase it for everyone in your cabin. Your wife can use her's for all her non alcoholic beverages. I think you'd be surprised how all those soft drinks can add up.:D

Edited by PathfinderEss

I spoke to a HAL onboard rep today and she said the limit is $50 per day or 15 drinks, whichever comes first. So, if you bought 7 drinks at $6.90 ( for example ) you are done for the day. Anything over gets charged to your room.

This is not the first time that someone from HAL has given this misinformation. There is NO dollar limit on what you can get, other than $7 x 15. I verified that on the Rotterdam a few weeks ago.

As to the OP's original questions, yes to all, as long as they are under the $7 and no more than 15 per day. It was a wonderful benefit. I loved that the staff would ask us for our "magic card".

Would you purchase the Signature Beverage Card on board the first day or do it as a pre-purchase? My concern is that some of the pre-purchased items (PG dinners, spa stuff) doesn't arrive in the stateroom until later in the afternoon the first day and we would want to use the beverage card as soon as we could on the first day. I imagine that by buying it from the bartender as soon as we board the ship, we could start using it immediately. Is this correct? What is your experience and advice?

Would you purchase the Signature Beverage Card on board the first day or do it as a pre-purchase? My concern is that some of the pre-purchased items (PG dinners, spa stuff) doesn't arrive in the stateroom until later in the afternoon the first day and we would want to use the beverage card as soon as we could on the first day. I imagine that by buying it from the bartender as soon as we board the ship, we could start using it immediately. Is this correct? What is your experience and advice?

I got mine for free as part of the Explore4 promo. The cards were in our room when we boarded. When I have pre-purchased regular beverage cards, they have been in our room upon boarding. I would imagine that pre-purchased SBP cards would be in your cabins upon boarding, too. Pre-purchased cards will have your names on them which ensures they don't get mixed up with other peoples cards.

Of course, purchasing directly from the bartender would ensure immediate usage but it won't have your name on it.

The only other things to consider is that purchasing in advance gets your names on the cards and you'll have to pay for it at time of order (which helps spread out the cost of the cruise, if that is important to you).

My concern is that some of the pre-purchased items (PG dinners, spa stuff) doesn't arrive in the stateroom until later in the afternoon the first day and we would want to use the beverage card as soon as we could on the first day.

I had a Signature Beverage Card as part of my Explore 4 package on one of my recent cruises. It was in my cabin when I entered around noon. The card had my name pre-printed, which I thought handy when 6 of us were ordering cocktails at the same time. We all got our own cards back with no confusion.

Magna dab, I hope your luck holds true for us - HAL has been adamant that it is a max of $50/ day with our TA. I don't think the communication from HAL knows which end is up - I have been around and around the circle on this subject, and just decided that it will be what it turns out to be on the cruise. It wasn't worth the buttons it was pushing with me. Combined with a huge price drop after payment in full.....May be our first and last with HAL - but we are still going to have a great time, enjoy every minute, and after the cruise make our decision.

We purchased ours the second day of our cruise. They had the night auditors back out any earlier charges. I will warn you that it wasn't the smoothest piece of accounting work I've ever seen, but we didn't get stuck paying for our earlier drinks. They were applied to the SBP Cards.

I think if we didn't get the signature drink package with Explore 4, that we would not buy it on board. Truth be known we don't consume 15 drinks a day, a piece. I might have 6, DH might have 8 and the signature drink card cost would not save us any monies. Infact the signature drink package would cost more then we spend without the package on drinks.

I just spoke to my Holland America agent, and asked about the Signature beverage package since I got it on promo for the Explore 4 promotion. She said there is no requirement that others in the room purchase the package - it is only credited to person 1 & 2 in the room. The others purchase beverages as they wish - individually or on their own package (we have 3 adults & 1 minor in our room).

She also said it includes ANY beverage at $7 or below. She specifically said "if you purchase an $8 beverage, you will be charged $8, not just the difference! It must be $7 or less.

Limit is $50 per person, per day - it can be all coffee, or all water, or all beer - makes no difference.

I hope that helps :)

I just spoke to my Holland America agent, and asked about the Signature beverage package since I got it on promo for the Explore 4 promotion. She said there is no requirement that others in the room purchase the package - it is only credited to person 1 & 2 in the room. The others purchase beverages as they wish - individually or on their own package (we have 3 adults & 1 minor in our room).

She also said it includes ANY beverage at $7 or below. She specifically said "if you purchase an $8 beverage, you will be charged $8, not just the difference! It must be $7 or less.

Limit is $50 per person, per day - it can be all coffee, or all water, or all beer - makes no difference.

The HAP rep is confusing the value of the package with the limit. The only limits are the under $7 in price and a maximum of 15 drinks per day. The value of the package is ~$50/day. The rest of the information provided was correct.

The only time there is a requirement for others to have the package, to my knowledge, is when the package is purchased. Then all people over the age of 21, in the same cabin, have to purchase the package.

I was confused about that $50 as well. However, it is listed as the retail value of the card, which is what they charge you, not a limit on how much you can get with it. I think they are assuming most people won't buy 15 $7 drinks, although you can, and that some of them will be sodas, coffees and water.

I'm hoping I'm not more confused and that the above is correct.

Debbie

Hi all! I am by no means an expert but I think the differences (and confusion) is in the type of Signature Beverage Package.

If one BUYS the signature beverage package, then the above quote is applicable.

If one RECEIVES the signature beverage package in the Explore 4 promotion then the dollar amount caps apply.

It reads, in part:

"FREE Signature Beverage Package*

• A value of us$100 per day, per stateroom (us$50 per person)

• Includes wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas and coffee (a daily limit applies)"

I know that's not correct as far as the Explore 4 promo goes.

I disembarked the Amsterdam Sunday, and had the Explore 4 promo Signature Beverage Card. My only limit was the $7 per drink maximum price, and th 15 drinks per day limit.

Somehow, on one of those drinks, I managed to get a double shot of liquor. :confused: (no, I don't know how I managed that, but I did enjoy the drink ;).)

We have sailed with both "purchased" SBP and Explore 4 SBP on a number of cruises. Their is NO total/cumulative dollar value limit. If you can drink 15 drinks a day priced under $7.00 - you're free to do so! So for those who drink more than 7 drinks a day, yes, it can be a good value. The best value, IMO, is enjoying up to 15 alcholic, caffeine, H2O, soda beverages and you don't experience any financial distress while doing so! If you pay before you go - no final night stress when your bill arrives!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi all! I am by no means an expert but I think the differences (and confusion) is in the type of Signature Beverage Package.

If one BUYS the signature beverage package, then the above quote is applicable.

If one RECEIVES the signature beverage package in the Explore 4 promotion then the dollar amount caps apply.

It reads, in part:

"FREE Signature Beverage Package*

• A value of us$100 per day, per stateroom (us$50 per person)

• Includes wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas and coffee (a daily limit applies)"

The value of $100 per day, per stateroom refers to the price if you purchase the SBP, not any limit to the cost of drinks. The daily limit is simply the 15 drinks.

What they are trying to do is let you know that you are saving the cost of the the SBP with the Explore 4 and how much it would cost you if you purchased it, not imposing a dollar limit on how many drinks you can get.

I admit that this causes a lot of confusion and it took me a while to wrap my head around it, but in the long description of the Explore 4 package, it refers to the dollar amount as a retail value, not a limit.

Here it is in the fine print from the Terms and Conditions of the Explore 4 program:

Free Signature Beverage Package is available only to ocean-view and above category staterooms. The Signature Beverage Package has a daily limit of 15 beverages priced $7.00USD or lower. Signature Beverage Package excludes beverages priced over $7.00USD and purchases made in Signature Shops, Mini Bar and In Room Dining, or beverages on Half Moon Cay. Signature Beverage Packages are not transferable or refundable and may be used only on the cruise portion of Land+Sea Journeys. Participants may order only one drink at a time, must be 21 years or older and agree not to give alcoholic drinks to minors. No sharing is permitted. Beverage management reserves the right to revoke the Signature Beverage Package if misused and reserves the right to refuse service for any reason, including refusing service of alcoholic beverages to intoxicated guests. Signature Beverage Package has a retail value of US$50 per person per day, including service charges.

Bolding is mine.

Edited by dfish
Add information

My cruise this summer had the Explore4 that included the SBP. The $50 amount listed is not a limit but a fair market value price. With my daily intake of 10 or so Pimm's Cup and a few G&T, I would have been cut off sooner than than later.

Yes, I have a high contusion and not fumbling about the ship looking for icebergs and the sort.

The HAL website also mentions beverage cards for $50, $100 and $250. Does anyone know how these work? In the past I have purchased a 10 or 20 glass wine card but apparently they are no longer available. The "up to 15 drinks per day" option is too much for me.

You are purchasing a pre-paid beverage card. It's convenient and you don't get a bill at the end of the cruise with pages of line items for your beverages. If you don't use it all, they credit you the unused amount back to your bill.