Signature Beverage Package

dhoogheralf

Just to clarify an earlier post, a Cremant is simply a sparkling wine that was grown and produced outside the Champagne region. Many Cremant's are produced by the exact same process as Sparkling wines from the Champagne region. We recently spent some time wine tasting in the Alsace region and thought that some of the Cremants were actually far superior to the lower cost Champagnes. What is even more interesting to some Oenophiles is the politics of Champagne. The traditional method of producing Champagne is called "méthode champenoise." But the growers from the Champagne region successfully convinced the EU to prohibit anyone from outside the Champagne Region from putting the words "méthode champenoise" on their bottles even if they were produced by that method. So now we have some great Cremant's produced in Alsace and the Loire....but they are not allowed to tell the buyer that they are made by the exact same method used by the finest Champagne houses.

Hank

We are booked on our first HAL cruise in November and are sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We are considering purchasing the Signature Drink Package as we have enjoyed a similar package on Celebrity several times. On Celebrity, my husband typically takes my card with him in the morning to get each of us a specialty coffee. He does the same thing in the afternoon to get both of us a pre-dinner cocktail to drink in our room. Will he be able to do this on Holland? In other words, if he has my card and his, will he be able to get each of us a drink at the same time or will I need to be with him to get my drink.

Also, can someone who has used the drink package on the Nieuw Amsterdam tell me if the "5 minute" rule or the "finish your drink" rule is adhered to on that ship.

Thanks!

We are booked on our first HAL cruise in November and are sailing on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We are considering purchasing the Signature Drink Package as we have enjoyed a similar package on Celebrity several times. On Celebrity, my husband typically takes my card with him in the morning to get each of us a specialty coffee. He does the same thing in the afternoon to get both of us a pre-dinner cocktail to drink in our room. Will he be able to do this on Holland? In other words, if he has my card and his, will he be able to get each of us a drink at the same time or will I need to be with him to get my drink.

Also, can someone who has used the drink package on the Nieuw Amsterdam tell me if the "5 minute" rule or the "finish your drink" rule is adhered to on that ship.

Thanks!

I can't answer your Nieuw Amsterdam specific question, but one of us was able to get coffees for both of us on the Noordam. We both went together the first day, which may have helped. I think that they're less concerned about you getting all hopped up on coffee and Chai tea latte, and more about the alcohol part of the package. :)

I can't answer your Nieuw Amsterdam specific question, but one of us was able to get coffees for both of us on the Noordam. We both went together the first day, which may have helped. I think that they're less concerned about you getting all hopped up on coffee and Chai tea latte, and more about the alcohol part of the package. :)

I was hoping that I could get 2 bottles of water to take with me at the same time, without waiting 5 minutes.

I was hoping that I could get 2 bottles of water to take with me at the same time, without waiting 5 minutes.

The computer system enforces the 5 minute rule, so probably not.

Thanks POA1! I was most interested in whether my sweet husband could pick up my coffee in the morning so your response is much appreciated. We would also love the flexibility of doing that with cocktails. Anyone have experience picking up a drink for someone else when you have their card?

Thanks POA1! I was most interested in whether my sweet husband could pick up my coffee in the morning so your response is much appreciated. We would also love the flexibility of doing that with cocktails. Anyone have experience picking up a drink for someone else when you have their card?

Once your server knows who you are and the other person is nearby, you probably won't have a problem. For example: If I went to the Ocean Bar and went to grab a drink for me and my (lovely, talented, and charming) wife, I didn't have a problem provided she was sitting nearby (in a lovely, talented, and charming way, naturally.) The same thing happened at the pool. I could walk up to the pool bar with both cards and get a drink for each of us.

You may find a server who is a real stickler for the rules and insists that the other party be physically present at the bar, but we did not run into that problem. The HAL servers are really good. Once they know who you are and who you are with, I would expect things to run smoothly.

Being the avid drinker that I am ;) does anybody know if one get soda, lets say Coke, with the card can it be in the can and not out of the gun? Thanks

Yes. Canned sodas are allowed.

I was able to buy two soft drinks (canned soda), or two specialty coffees at the same time as long as I had both my and my husband's cards with me. If I had only my card, then I could only buy one drink. They have to keep a running declining total on each card.

Since we were together when we had cocktails or after-dinner drinks, we each presented our cards and obviously incurred no problems. James and April at the Explorations Cafe knew us quite well, which helped. Neither of us are beer drinkers, so we didn't use the cards for that.

Having those cards really helped on our onboard charges. They were noticeably less then on other cruises.

Smooth Sailing!:):)

Edited by luvs2travl

• 3 weeks later...
It's midnight. POA reported that on his thread and I had it confirmed on my May/14 cruise.

I'm not saying that we actually stood around with stop watches or laboratory grade atomic clocks, but I would say that midnight, ship's time is the cut off. :)

I'm not saying that we actually stood around with stop watches or laboratory grade atomic clocks, but I would say that midnight, ship's time is the cut off. :)

Really?!:D I thought with the research grants you got you would have used laboratory grade atomic clocks!! I know, I know, what research grants?!

Seriously, I did ask on our cruise. Not that it really mattered to me as I tend not to be up at midnight, let alone drinking. I was explaining the package to someone onboard, with a waiter in attendance. It was he who confirmed that at midnight a new "SBP day" started.

Really?!:D I thought with the research grants you got you would have used laboratory grade atomic clocks!! I know, I know, what research grants?!

Seriously, I did ask on our cruise. Not that it really mattered to me as I tend not to be up at midnight, let alone drinking. I was explaining the package to someone onboard, with a waiter in attendance. It was he who confirmed that at midnight a new "SBP day" started.

You're right. The clock does reset at midnight.

I just found out that the small beading group I'm joining for my cruise received a perk. The person that is in charge told us we have a $50/day "special drink package" (their quotation marks) and can use it for soft drinks, beer, wine and spirits under $7.00 per drink. We also get a meal at the Canaletto but must book it onboard, not online. Do you think this is the Signature Beverage Package or is there something else they give to small groups with a $50 limit?

I'm not really worried about it...just curious. I really don't think I can drink $50 worth of drinks per day and I'm thrilled that I won't have to count pennies if I want a drink.

Is it hard to book the Canaletto on board? Where do we do this and is it often booked up? Should we do this as soon as we get onboard or do we have time to think about it?

Thanks for the advice. I've learned so much on the boards of CC.

Pam

I just found out that the small beading group I'm joining for my cruise received a perk. The person that is in charge told us we have a $50/day "special drink package" (their quotation marks) and can use it for soft drinks, beer, wine and spirits under $7.00 per drink. We also get a meal at the Canaletto but must book it onboard, not online. Do you think this is the Signature Beverage Package or is there something else they give to small groups with a $50 limit?

I'm not really worried about it...just curious. I really don't think I can drink $50 worth of drinks per day and I'm thrilled that I won't have to count pennies if I want a drink.

Is it hard to book the Canaletto on board? Where do we do this and is it often booked up? Should we do this as soon as we get onboard or do we have time to think about it?

Thanks for the advice. I've learned so much on the boards of CC.

Pam

Yes, that sounds very much like the Signature Beverage Package. Enjoy!

Hi, perhaps I missed it somewhere but does anyone know the daily cut off point for the package? Midnight or 6am, I've seen both mentioned in other forums.

Thanks

You will NEVER be able to drink everything in your quota. Only a person on a Caribbean cruise who starts drinking in the morning could do it---so don't worry.

You will NEVER be able to drink everything in your quota. Only a person on a Caribbean cruise who starts drinking in the morning could do it---so don't worry.

You're right for me but I wouldn't bet against my wife.

I was really thinking about first day/last day, as the time of arrival/departure could limit what you get from the package.

Either way, three weeks from now, we'll know the truth!

I've read some of the beverage package threads and still am not sure if it can be used for the specialty coffee shop.

Also, can you use it for bottle water? Can you get a full can of coke and take it back to your room?

I've read some of the beverage package threads and still am not sure if it can be used for the specialty coffee shop.

Also, can you use it for bottle water? Can you get a full can of coke and take it back to your room?

Yes on all counts. :)