"Rock of Ages" perfectly represents Breakaway

OceanBlue123

I continue to be amazed (although I'm not sure why) that people expect cruise lines to be able to come up with any single thing that will please an entire ship's worth of people. It is simply not possible.

I think what's more important than the content is the quality of the production and the variety of entertainment available. Everyone is not going to like everything, but as long as there is more than one thing to do most people will likely find something that they enjoy. That's why I love the concept of the Epic, Breakaway, and Getaway. There is always something to see or hear or participate in.

As for the Blue Man Group, I love it, and so do my kids and husband. I've seen it on land and at sea. Where others see it as crude and slapstick, I see it as creative and entertaining and, often, quite cerebral. There are many places so full of symbolism and/or veiled social commentary that I think it's brilliant. That's the beauty of entertainment. It means different things to different people.

Of course not everyone will enjoy Rock of Ages or think it's "appropriate", but then they can go do something else.

I loved Rock of Ages on Stage and on Breakaway. Is it appropriate for kids?.... Depends on the family. I will say that warnings were plentiful and if parents chose not to follow them, t is completely their fault and not NCL's. On the flip side as a kid born in the 70's and a teen of the 80's..... I am fairly certain there wasn't anything in there I hadn't been exposed to by 12 or 13. This good little parochial school boy watched his MTV and knew which friends dad read playboy :D. NCL does have tons of entertainment on the Breakaway fro every age group so missing out on one show that is well done, well produced, well acted and probably costs the cruise line a fortune to stage is not that big of a deal. Just like walking through times square, you make a choice to take the family to one show or another. Same is true on the cruise.

Lol! If you want to see a good example check out the initial "prancercize" video, I couldn't get passed it.

Yes funny, but want real life camel toe, just walk out to the pool on the cruise. The camels were all over the pool decks, most of which I am still trying to forget.

Having just got off the Pearl this am and watched the preview of this ship onboard. (I even bought the $250 deposit for $150 for a future cruise)...I really want to see this show now. MIght have to look at flights to NYC in Jan:D

I bet the traveling group will appear in Houston again soon.

Certainly does not sound that "kid friendly"...I guess depending on the age of your kids. :) I enjoyed the movie for the most part, and LOVE the music, but I'm still a bit surprised that something that risque is on a family cruise ship.

there are plenty of other things to keep the kids occupied on this ship. why does everything on the ship need to be "kid friendly"????? I saw this show on the Breakaway, and yes, it is NOT for kids. nice to see Norwegian pushing the envelope a bit. I go on cruises to get away from kids.(depending what time of year it is, i'm not always lucky in this regard). sorry if this offends anyone.

there are plenty of other things to keep the kids occupied on this ship. why does everything on the ship need to be "kid friendly"????? I saw this show on the Breakaway, and yes, it is NOT for kids. nice to see Norwegian pushing the envelope a bit. I go on cruises to get away from kids.(depending what time of year it is, i'm not always lucky in this regard). sorry if this offends anyone.

Amen to that comment!!

I agree with you 100%.

I have four daughters and all cruised with me throughout the years and there was certainly plenty for them to do on the ships.

I now have two grandsons and looking forward to cruising with them as well.

And, looking forward to seeing the show in January. :)

Don

Should you take your kids to see Rock of Ages? I did, and they loved it, but they are young teenagers. It was rather awkward when my son asked me, right in front of his mother and sister, “What is Camel Toe?” (It is written on a character’s T-shirt.) Those are the kinds of things a parent should think about before determining if their children belong at this show.

You will see lap dances and may wonder if your child is ready to know about that. Another time the girls have a seat and your kids might ask you “why are the guys putting there heads in the girl’s laps?” As an adult, that was awesome, everybody gets a turn, and the scene was not very long at all. But your child will still see it and may ask you to explain it. This is what the “may not be appropriate” warning is all about. Are you comfortable having that conversation with your child? Some feel that their kids are never too young to learn about such things. Others disagree.

Some parents take their young children to the later shows and expect them sleep right through it. A show like Burn the Floor will actually help put them to sleep for you! However, one warning that I can post without qualification. Do NOT expect your young child to be able to sleep through Rock of Ages. It is loud. Very loud. It is Rock and Roll. It is supposed to be loud.

I'll take it this production has absolutely nothing to do with the Christian Praise Team song "Rock of Ages" then? :o

To go on and on about how wonderful Rock of Ages was is such a sad commentary on our society and what we've been desensitized to. The fact that one would even consider bringing a child is inconceivable. I couldn't wait to get out of there. Frankly I thought the singing was terrible too... our high school has better talent than that. Jokes about tits and private parts...really? What are we 10 year old boys?

The show was pretty good and is not kid friendly. Lots of people in our show taking their kids out after 15 minutes. Lots of older folks leaving also LOL

Its crude, has some cursing, a few very hot woman with not much on........nothing wrong with that. I was part of the 80's, and played is bar bands in college and during my mid 20's Thats pretty much how it was. The only thing missing was a few bandana's wrapped around their jeans:D

The show was pretty good and is not kid friendly. Lots of people in our show taking their kids out after 15 minutes. Lots of older folks leaving also LOL

Its crude, has some cursing, a few very hot woman with not much on........nothing wrong with that. I was part of the 80's, and played is bar bands in college and during my mid 20's Thats pretty much how it was. The only thing missing was a few bandana's wrapped around their jeans:D

:)

I was right there with you in the 80s tending bar while you were playing. And you are right, that is the way it was. Maybe not to the Pot luck supper at the church hall and ice cream social at the 4H club crowd. But in the bar culture and the band culture , it was a pretty good depiction.

Have only seen a few scenes of the movie version. Found it more nostalgic than dirty *LOL*

I'm going and bringing my kids. My son sees more risque stuff on the 5 o'clock news. I don't think he will "get" any of the jokes or the innuendos. He will love the music! I also have a really little one who will be rocking out! Don't know why I am posting this. Maybe so I can get up enough courage to deal with the evil eye from everyone else in the theater?!? Can't wait!

:)

I was right there with you in the 80s tending bar while you were playing. And you are right, that is the way it was.

And I bet you like me loved every second of it.........the hair, the clothes etc.... it was part of my youth, it was a great time!

I couldn't wait to get out of there. Frankly I thought the singing was terrible too... our high school has better talent than that. Jokes about tits and private parts...really? What are we 10 year old boys?

Mom.......is that you?:D

I'm going and bringing my kids. My son sees more risque stuff on the 5 o'clock news. I don't think he will "get" any of the jokes or the innuendos. He will love the music! I also have a really little one who will be rocking out! Don't know why I am posting this. Maybe so I can get up enough courage to deal with the evil eye from everyone else in the theater?!? Can't wait!

Go enjoy and have fun. :)

Hell a few years back while we were away , My sister in law who was keeping an eye on my kids gets a last minute invite .....long story short , she took my 14 year old son to OZ FEST. As in OZZY Osborne , as in Black Sabbath, and Rob Zombie etc etc etc

Found out about this about 2 weeks after the fact.

10 hours the kid was there and his only recollection was that he made out with a 16 yr old girl . :)

So see the evil Satanic music had virtually no effect on him at all *LOL*

And I bet you like me loved every second of it.........the hair, the clothes etc.... it was part of my youth, it was a great time!

Mom.......is that you?:D

The best .....the absolute best... It was a really great time. It was freer and not as puritanical as the 50s and it wasn't any where near as dangerous as today with the gangs and the guns and all the crap of today.

Rock of Ages was the best production show we've ever seen on a ship.

I would consider ROA one of the best productions I've seen at sea. BMG, Burn the Floor were the others. NCL continues to offer the best entertainment at sea.

ROA on the Breakaway stayed relatively true to the Broadway show. As such, it was a really good production. Then again, I am a child of the '80s.:D

To go on and on about how wonderful Rock of Ages was is such a sad commentary on our society and what we've been desensitized to. The fact that one would even consider bringing a child is inconceivable. I couldn't wait to get out of there. Frankly I thought the singing was terrible too... our high school has better talent than that. Jokes about tits and private parts...really? What are we 10 year old boys?

Gotta agree with you here. I had to shake my head at a couple of posts where parents proudly declare "I'm taking my kids" LOL OceanBlue - I thought I read (and I may have misunderstood) that some of those show portrays underaged sex? Pedophilia? Please clarify that. Thanks!

Gotta agree with you here. I had to shake my head at a couple of posts where parents proudly declare "I'm taking my kids" LOL OceanBlue - I thought I read (and I may have misunderstood) that some of those show portrays underaged sex? Pedophilia? Please clarify that. Thanks!

Really, that is what caught your eye? Not the bestiality? Well to each their own ... :)

I am not sure I can really answer your question without giving too much away. I would say the show would be rated PG-13, not R, so let's not get carried away.

Okay, SPOILER ALERT! Stop reading if you do not want to know... The under age sex is because one of the characters surprisingly turns out to be too young. More like statutory rape rather than pedophilia. We do not yet know this when the simulated and alluded to stuff is actually occurring, and as is true about so much of this show, it plays out rather humorously -- for adults. Note I said one of the "characters" as I am sure the actual actress was old enough. It is just that your kids might ask questions you do not yet want them thinking about. Obviously from reading this thread, different folks have massively different ideas about just what is and is not appropriate.

Really, that is what caught your eye? Not the bestiality? Well to each their own ... :) What's wrong with that?! ;)

I am not sure I can really answer your question without giving too much away. I would say the show would be rated PG-13, not R, so let's not get carried away.

I deleted the spoiler alert, but I get it now. It doesn't sound as bad as I thought it was.

Go enjoy and have fun. :)

Hell a few years back while we were away , My sister in law who was keeping an eye on my kids gets a last minute invite .....long story short , she took my 14 year old son to OZ FEST. As in OZZY Osborne , as in Black Sabbath, and Rob Zombie etc etc etc

Found out about this about 2 weeks after the fact.

10 hours the kid was there and his only recollection was that he made out with a 16 yr old girl . :)

So see the evil Satanic music had virtually no effect on him at all *LOL*

Awesome! I bet your son loves your SIL!

Archived