St Martin Beach Near Port

johnsak123

I think there is a beach close to the boardwalk area, but I believe I read that it is not suitable for swimming. There are many beaches, Orient, Maho, ( where the planes come in very low over the beach ) Mullet Bay and others. There will be taxi stands with fares posted to all locations. Most are $18 to $20 for 2 people 1 way. You can also book inexpensive circle island tours.

You can find a lot of info on beaches, etc on the St Martin board here.

Beach is right in town. Sand is nice. We have swam there before. water is probably not the cleanest, but no worse than any lake in the southeast.

There is a high level of sewage pollution in that area. That has been reported in the St. Martin press. I would never use that beach.

The area you're referring to is Great Bay. I went there a few years ago on short notice (planned to go to Orient, but couldn't). We had an excellent time. Rented a chair and umbrella, used the water trampoline and the water was crystal clear and nobody got sick. I came back and read they talk of pollution, but didn't experience that at all. We had a guy come and bring us lunch from the boardwalk restaurants and we got a bucket of beer - 6 for $12 (!!!). We really had an excellent day.

You have to take the water taxi over for $6.

We'd go back.

We are a party of 5

My only concern is taking a cab to the beach and not getting one back to the ship

Last year we went to a beach thru the ship and scoped out cabs in case we wanted to return early and none to be found.

We also booked a Bernards tour but this time we just want to go to the beach

My biggest fear is not making it to the ship in time.

We are a party of 5

My only concern is taking a cab to the beach and not getting one back to the ship

Last year we went to a beach thru the ship and scoped out cabs in case we wanted to return early and none to be found.

If you go to Orient Bay would not be a problem. I have gone many times. There are always taxies picking up but you can also arrange a pick up time with the driver who took you.

The beach that can be risky is Mahlo. The airplane beach. Traffic backs up there from there to the port because of a bridge.

The area you're referring to is Great Bay. I went there a few years ago on short notice (planned to go to Orient, but couldn't). We had an excellent time. Rented a chair and umbrella, used the water trampoline and the water was crystal clear and nobody got sick. I came back and read they talk of pollution, but didn't experience that at all. We had a guy come and bring us lunch from the boardwalk restaurants and we got a bucket of beer - 6 for $12 (!!!). We really had an excellent day.

We'd go back.

We've been to Great Bay many times over the years and have always had a good time. :)

Sure, we like Orient Beach better ... but Great Bay is so convenient after taking an earlier excursion.

LuLu

~~~~

We are a party of 5

It's a easy 20 minute walk to the beach. The water is beautiful to look at but try not to swallow any and you will be fine. The further you walk away from the cruise pier area the better you will be.

Great Bay Beach. Take a water taxi from the port to get there fast or a 20-30 minute walk from the ship. Ignore the scaredy cats saying you will die if you go in the water it's so polluted. It's one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen. Do a Google image search on "great bay beach" to see for yourself.

Great Bay Beach. Take a water taxi from the port to get there fast or a 20-30 minute walk from the ship. Ignore the scaredy cats saying you will die if you go in the water it's so polluted. It's one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen. Do a Google image search on "great bay beach" to see for yourself.

It's a nice enough looking beach. The locals would certainly use it more on days with little or no cruiseships for instance, between May and October if safety was not an issue but they choose other beaches for that reason and others.

You bet I am scared to go in the water with raw sewage! What was that Forrest Gump expression?

If Great Bay Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches that you've ever seen, perhaps you should get out more.

I don't think anyone inferred that you would die, but it IS polluted, so why take the chance?

gary

• 3 weeks later...
my bad

I really wonder what "my bad" refers to, but these results do look encouraging. They're over a year and a half old, but good.

I tried to contact the Nature Foundation this summer about such reports, (based on comments in a different thread) but despite two requests, I've received no response.

I would love to declare Great Bay as pollution free and open to swimming, but I'm still not quite convinced.

gary

I really wonder what "my bad" refers to, but these results do look encouraging. They're over a year and a half old, but good.

I tried to contact the Nature Foundation this summer about such reports, (based on comments in a different thread) but despite two requests, I've received no response.

I would love to declare Great Bay as pollution free and open to swimming, but I'm still not quite convinced.

gary

Would there be any other source that we could check with regarding the pollution? I will be there in January and thought our party would spend some time there. Now, I'm a little concerned.

We were at Great Bay beach 2 years ago and had a great time. Took the water taxi there, spent the day on the beach and in the water. The food from the local establishments was great and the beer cheap and cold, $10 for a bucket of Corona. What more can you ask for? We will be returning for another great day at the beach and swimming in December. Can't wait!

We were at Great Bay beach 2 years ago and had a great time. Took the water taxi there, spent the day on the beach and in the water. The food from the local establishments was great and the beer cheap and cold, $10 for a bucket of Corona. What more can you ask for? We will be returning for another great day at the beach and swimming in December. Can't wait!

I would never go all the way to St. Maarten and waste a whole day in town and I usually visit for 9-12 days except while on a cruiseship. I think that ending up in town a couple of hours prior to the all aboard time is perfect. This way your last couple of hours on this often busy island are stress free because the ship is only a few minutes away by land or water taxi or max a 1/2 walk from the start of the shopping (farthest from the ship) on Front Street.

Archived