HAL's BEER CONFISCATION

blignop

We first cruised with HAL on the old Noordam in 1994. At that time, you could buy a bottle onboard or ashore, no big deal. Later, you could still buy one onboard, but they would charge you about 20% more if you wanted to consume it onboard. Still no big deal. They were making a couple of bucks and you were still enjoying yourself. Later, they changed it so you could buy a bottle for your room, but the price went up about 300%. Then they would sell you a bottle for your room, but it would be about a third of a liter. I accepted these changes and still enjoyed sailing with HAL. Their cruise prices are reasonable and when you take a Grand Cruise and the sign on the gangway says "Welcome Home" you feel that they mean it. But I hate to see them hassle us with "rules" that only aggravate the guest and do nothing for their bottom line. For example, we were on the Prinsendam in Lithuania a couple of months ago and I found some very nice apple and berry cider in a local store. They don't sell cider aboard ship and it may be 3 or 4 % alcohol; nothing close to the fruit wine I could bring aboard. But when I tried to bring a few cans aboard they made a big deal of it on the gangway, but finally like they were doing me a big favor, let me bring it aboard. I don't understand what HAL gains from treating its guests this way. Maybe it is in the "rules", but to me it is total BS. As a business, they can treat their customers any way they want, but at some point their customers will walk to another cruise line.

The problem is, where do they draw the line? Someone is always going to complain. The few ruin it for everyone.

The problem is, where do they draw the line? Someone is always going to complain. The few ruin it for everyone.

Please tell me how my bringing onboard something for my own enjoyment that they do not sell onboard is going to "ruin it for everyone"? What they are actually doing is ruining my enjoyment of my cruise. I can't understand why so many people on this board can't see this. You have a guest that has paid thousands of dollars for the cruise and you are going to insult him or her if they want to enjoy something that is not sold on the ship?

We first cruised with HAL on the old Noordam in 1994. At that time, you could buy a bottle onboard or ashore, no big deal. Later, you could still buy one onboard, but they would charge you about 20% more if you wanted to consume it onboard. Still no big deal. They were making a couple of bucks and you were still enjoying yourself. Later, they changed it so you could buy a bottle for your room, but the price went up about 300%. Then they would sell you a bottle for your room, but it would be about a third of a liter. I accepted these changes and still enjoyed sailing with HAL. Their cruise prices are reasonable and when you take a Grand Cruise and the sign on the gangway says "Welcome Home" you feel that they mean it. But I hate to see them hassle us with "rules" that only aggravate the guest and do nothing for their bottom line. For example, we were on the Prinsendam in Lithuania a couple of months ago and I found some very nice apple and berry cider in a local store. They don't sell cider aboard ship and it may be 3 or 4 % alcohol; nothing close to the fruit wine I could bring aboard. But when I tried to bring a few cans aboard they made a big deal of it on the gangway, but finally like they were doing me a big favor, let me bring it aboard. I don't understand what HAL gains from treating its guests this way. Maybe it is in the "rules", but to me it is total BS. As a business, they can treat their customers any way they want, but at some point their customers will walk to another cruise line.

I remember when there was a duty free shop in the terminal at Port Everglades. We could buy bottles of liquor and they would be delivered on board after sailing. HAL had piles of those liquor boxes they brought to many cabins. :)

Our first HAL cruise was Noordam III in about 1992 or so. :)

Please tell me how my bringing onboard something for my own enjoyment that they do not sell onboard is going to "ruin it for everyone"? What they are actually doing is ruining my enjoyment of my cruise. I can't understand why so many people on this board can't see this. You have a guest that has paid thousands of dollars for the cruise and you are going to insult him or her if they want to enjoy something that is not sold on the ship?

Did I say YOU ruined it? That is not what I meant. Lets say I really like to smoke a joint. I paid thousands for my cruise. Why can't I do it? We know the rules when we sign up. If they are something we can't live with then why not pick something else? Honestly, it makes you sound a bit spoiled. Do you always get everything you want? If so, I want your life. Changes come about because people feel entitled to do what they want to do. Life just doesn't work like that.

Edited by lorekauf

I suspect crack cocaine, heroin, my pet python, my ant farm, my portable electric heater, etc. also aren't sold on the ship, but I want to bring them on for my "enjoyment." Problem is you're stepping onto the private property of another - HAL. They have the right to tell you (and me and everyone) what we can and can't bring onboard. You don't get to decide...and if you don't like it, then...well you know what you can do. :)

I can see the OP's want to bring one can of beer aboard (what do you collect?). I can see HAL's security enforcing the rules (I also know there is someone that can bend the rule with the right reason or exception). I am also surprised that so many people get upset when it is some rule enforced against them. We should all taste our words before we spit them out to someone else. Its called Karma (what goes around comes around) so please be careful.

This board is entertaining. It is amazing how many folks care about whether someone else follows the rules or not.

It isn't so much that we care if OP is following the rules. It's more that we care about his acting like a cry-baby when HAL enforced the rules he was choosing to break.

This board is entertaining. It is amazing how many folks care about whether someone else follows the rules or not.

The OP chose to post. It's not as though someone observed this, and started the thread. If you start a thread about breaking HAL's rules (whether you think they are reasonable or not), you should expect a wide range of opinions in response. Do you think they thought everyone would jump to validate their victim status? HAL just enforced a rule. I don't think it's reasonable to post about getting caught - in an admittedly very small matter - and expect a group hug.

Because OP's post reeks of that "entitlement," "self above all others" type of attitude that, unfortunately, is prevalent in today's society. It might be a trivial bottle of beer but it's the thought that the rules don't apply to him. And, instead of either (1) sucking it up like a big boy and following the rules, or (2) taking his business elsewhere because he doesn't like the business' policies, he whines and complains about one lousy beer. Also, the trivial nature of his complaint is, quite frankly, almost laughable.

Totally confused. 3 star Mariner , but have not been on line for years. Now taking the Oosterdam for 41 days Seattle to Auckland.

Can I ask for the present wine policy as of today.

Wine size... Does that matter??

Wine per cabin or person??

Because OP's post reeks of that "entitlement," "self above all others" type of attitude that, unfortunately, is prevalent in today's society. It might be a trivial bottle of beer but it's the thought that the rules don't apply to him. And, instead of either (1) sucking it up like a big boy and following the rules, or (2) taking his business elsewhere because he doesn't like the business' policies, he whines and complains about one lousy beer. Also, the trivial nature of his complaint is, quite frankly, almost laughable.

What do you mean "Almost":p

Until 1/31/14 every person can bring as much as they like of any size bottle from every port.

After that it will be one 750 ml bottle per person, and only at the initial embarkation.

Enjoy one last "no limit" cruise!

Edited by jtl513

Totally confused. 3 star Mariner , but have not been on line for years. Now taking the Oosterdam for 41 days Seattle to Auckland.

As long as it's before Jan 31, 2014 bring as much wine as you can "lug":D. In this case, size doesn't matter.

The OP chose to post. It's not as though someone observed this, and started the thread. If you start a thread about breaking HAL's rules (whether you think they are reasonable or not), you should expect a wide range of opinions in response. Do you think they thought everyone would jump to validate their victim status? HAL just enforced a rule. I don't think it's reasonable to post about getting caught - in an admittedly very small matter - and expect a group hug.

Well said, :)

It isn't so much that we care if OP is following the rules. It's more that we care about his acting like a cry-baby when HAL enforced the rules he was choosing to break.

Both quotes, also well said...:)

Dear HAL

Please reconsider and allow us to bring a bottle of wine on board in foreign ports

We have 98 days booked in 2014 on the Rotterdam and Maasdam and tons of

foreign ports to visit.

Buying a couple bottles of local wines are a very big part of our cruise experience.

Could you please allow us the same freedom to bring wine onboard as your new rule allows

in the embarkation port???

We have cruised on HAL for 12 years.

On returning to the Ryndam recently my wife had ONE beer confiscated.

They must be getting desperate.

:confused: She had ONE unopened beer in her purse, or shopping bag ?

Or was she holding an open bottle or can ?

Something doesn't add up. Women don't usually carry a beer in their bag.

hi

Wow one can of beer ruin his cruise you have to be kidding. I look at what I cannot bring aboard a airplane, pro sport games, cruise ship. I am not going to bring a can of beer opened or not opened back to ship when it says No beer allowed, No beer means no Beer No a case, nor a six pack, No a single can. It say NO beer allowed Peroid. Why is it so hard for people to accept the word NO. Wondering if the young person at the gate let you on with the can and someone reported him Do you think He might be on a plane the next day home because he let your wife carry a can of beer on board. I don't believe for a second that beer was for her.

Shame on you

Mary

:confused: She had ONE unopened beer in her purse, or shopping bag ?

Or was she holding an open bottle or can ?

Something doesn't add up. Women don't usually carry a beer in their bag.

As Paul Harvey used to say "and now the rest of the story":

she-works-out.jpg

smiley-laughing024.gif