Inside Cabins on the Silhouette

jcallcut

Hello,

I've been scanning and searching posts and I am not finding much information from folks who have stayed in an inside cabin on the Silhouette. Looking for some information on whether folks who have stayed in an inside cabin have enjoyed them. They seem large compared to other lines but it is hard to tell from a picture. I usually book the lowest cost cabin I can and use the savings on other things but if I am going to feel like a caged animal when I am in it I would rather splurge a bit. I will be doing a 15 night Transatlantic in May 2014 and I figure I will spend most of my time outside the cabin.

Thoughts,

Jim

I have been on one transatlantic cruise with RCCL, but I have two booked (Celebrity Reflection for 2013 and Oceania Marina for 2014). My rule of thumb is that I will book an inside cabin if cost is the primary factor in deciding. However, if the cost is small to upgrade to a balcony room, I would opt for the balcony. The weather on transatlantic trips is usually so nice that you will want to enjoy it from your cabin balcony when you are not out and about the ship.

Sent from my Samsung Note II on the T-Mobile 4G LTE network using Tapatalk Beta 4

Looking at the cost it is almost twice the price to go in a balcony. Takes the cost from $1700 to about $3200. We are looking at spending some time in Rome with a side trip to Venice for a couple of days before the cruise. That additional money I would spend to upgrade to a balcony will pretty much cover the pre cruise activities. I certainly understand your logic though.

We did one transatlantic, in 2008. We booked early, as usual, and an inside cabin (which we almost always take). Later, there were DEALS and we met cruisers who had balconies and paid LESS than we did!

If the itinerary is not a popular one, the prices can drop dramatically.

We are currently booked on 2 cruises (not transatlantics) and they are selling very well and the prices have gone way up.

Who knows the answer!

Jim, we did that cruise last year and are looking forward to the same one next year. In January/February, prices got down to $699 for a balcony guarantee; we paid $749 for a fantastic 1B balcony. I am counting on prices getting close to that again. I think insides were $499 at their lowest.

That said, one of our very active roll call couples was in an inside, and they really enjoyed it. I had a look in every day as they were cleaning the one across the hall from us, and they look very spacious and comfortable. They are at least as large as the balcony cabins (some appear even a bit larger in some sideways configurations).

The problem is, if you book now, and prices fall below that after final payment, you will be stuck; you can go even $1 higher, but you can't switch from an inside to a balcony, for ex., even if the cost is lower. (Before final payment of course you can do this). So we are just watching prices and biding our time til after the first of the year.

FYI, if you don't know this, Choice Air has great one way fares for your return flight!!

Hope to see you on board!

I was also on this cruise in April 2013. I have a friend who booked an inside cabin last minute. There was plenty of room in the cabin. She ended up paying less than a 1K total for the cabin. She booked 2 weeks before sail.

She said next time depending on price, she will book a balcony because she'd rather spend her time setting on her balcony reading on the sea days.

Looking at the cost it is almost twice the price to go in a balcony. Takes the cost from $1700 to about $3200. We are looking at spending some time in Rome with a side trip to Venice for a couple of days before the cruise. That additional money I would spend to upgrade to a balcony will pretty much cover the pre cruise activities. I certainly understand your logic though.

Some great points have been made since I posted. Price changes happen all the time for lots of reasons. Always keep an eye open for that to happen prior to final payment.

Sent from my Samsung Note II on the T-Mobile 4G LTE network using Tapatalk Beta 4

Once you decide on the cabin category, don't look back. People make themselves miserable agonizing over whether they got the best deal. In the end, rather than having a wonderful cruise, they're bemoaning the fact that they didn't get "just the right cabin."

Personally, if it came down to seeing Rome or other European cities vs. any outside category cabin, including the most expensive suite, I'd opt for the inside and save the money for splurging on hotel, restaurants, and sightseeing.

Having said that, let me tell you that DH & I always book insides on HA (very large 200 sq ft), but for this trek back onto X, I'm traveling with 2 friends who refused to stay in an inside cabin and wanted a CC. Dividing the cost amongst the 3 of us, bottom line is not too bad; however we could have saved a chunk of change booking an inside. Since they've spent their maximum, they don't want to make any reservations at the fee restaurants, which is one thing I wanted to do. Oh well.

My wife and I have had both a balcony cabin and an inside cabin on the Silhouette. The balcony is nice, but the inside cabin is larger. In fact, 196 sq ft large. Some cabins only have one or two chairs and no couch -- gives you large amounts of room to roam around the cabin. Bathroom is the same; storage is the same.

We slept better in the inside, as it is very dark and less noise.

We have three Celebrity Cruises coming up, and we selected an inside cabin for all three. We may move up to a different cabin as the cruise date approaches, but it's not that big a deal.

Love the insides!

Kel:)

Archived