Oasis 3. A 4 & 5 to follow?

Tall-Cruiser

While on the Oasis last week one our D+ perks was a tour behind the scenes at the ice rink with the production/stage/in charge manager. He did mention that he was involved with the design of Oasis 3 in terms of re-arranging the behind the scenes operation.

These new Oasis class ships might look the same but they will be altered "behind the curtains" to work better and more efficiently.

An example, during the ice shows, the production manager stands at his bank of monitors and consoles, right next to the doorway that the skaters come flying into for high speed costume changes. More then once his tush has collided with a skater as she charged thru the door. On the redesign, at his suggestion, a work area for him will be created in a separate area above the small changing room that is empty space now.

An Oasis class ship in Europe will be great!... The few cruises next year are nearly full booked!!!... :)

The story in the attached article indicates that RCI CEO, Adam Goldstein also feels good about the bookings Oasis has achieved for its Europe sailing and ports. So as some have suggested here already, this could be a test for an Oasis class maybe.

From Tavel Weekly - “We always felt demand would be high but we needed to do it in real life to be sure."

http://m.travelweekly.co.uk/Article.aspx?cat=news&id=45368

• 3 months later...

well i think that one oasis class ship maybe allure or oasis 3 will come to the far east. It says that in 2015 Oasis class ships will be docked at Singapore Marina Bay Cruise Center. On top of that Hong Kong's new Kai Tak terminal can cater to this massive ship as well. one or two years from now gives other cities along that route or region time to build the required infrastructure for oasis-class ships. Hope to see one soon! :D:);)

http://www.yoursingapore.com/content/traveller/en/browse/see-and-do/leisure-cruises/marina-bay-cruise-centre-singapore.html

I'm positive Mobile, Alabama is getting an Oasis class ship.

(I know, I know, but one can only dream to ever see something like Oasis at his closest port of embarkation. :o)

Are they able to support such a ship?

I wish bigger ships sailed out of Tampa.

Maybe a freedom class ship will be in Tampa?

If they have two based in PE, one in PC, one in the Med, and one in the Pacific, I don't think they'll have any problem at all filling them. And they don't need 6000 additional passengers for each, as sometime the Majesty and the Vision class ships will have to be retired. Those passengers have to go somewhere, whether it be to these new ships or to repositioned ships from other classes.

I hope they aren't committed to only a "bigger is better" philosophy. The big ones are nice for a change, but I really don't need all the stuff that comes with those superships.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse all the typos.

I hope they aren't committed to only a "bigger is better" philosophy. The big ones are nice for a change, but I really don't need all the stuff that comes with those superships.

Radiance class ships are my favorite so far, but I haven't sailed anything bigger than Voyages class. That will change in September when board the Freedom. Maybe my opinion will change after that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Are they able to support such a ship?

I wish bigger ships sailed out of Tampa.

Maybe a freedom class ship will be in Tampa?

The limit in Tampa is the Sunshine Skyway bridge. The Radiance-class ships clear it with only a few feet to spare. A Freedom or Oasis-class ship wouldn't be able to get into the bay.

Due to some basic laws of physics, longer ships are much more fuel efficient than shorter ones. Other expenses are are lower per person (you don't need 2 captains just because you have twice as many people). Revenue is also increased with added capacity.

Given lower fuel costs, lower fixed cost per person, and increased revenue, it's hard to believe that they would not continue to build the larger ships. There is ample room for port improvements around the world. Once Cuba opens up, it will be a huge money maker for the industry (short travel distances from the US = low fuel cost), and it's a huge island with lots to do. The cruise lines need to prepare for the inevitable.

So its Passion of the Seas then? :confused: What else are the options for names...

Intersting. I mentioned/askd the same question yesterday in another thread based on comments from Adam's blog. Here it is below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1855809&page=44

From Adams blog in the section he talks about Oasis III, last paragraph, is there a hint for a ship name from the reserved trademark list, “Passion of the Seas”? More speculation right.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/connect/blog/the-importance-of-shipyard-visits/

“I suppose when something is going to come into existence with its own unique name, everyone involved is going to feel a lot of passion for it. Our new ships certainly fit that bill.”

Due to some basic laws of physics, longer ships are much more fuel efficient than shorter ones. Other expenses are are lower per person (you don't need 2 captains just because you have twice as many people). Revenue is also increased with added capacity.

Given lower fuel costs, lower fixed cost per person, and increased revenue, it's hard to believe that they would not continue to build the larger ships. There is ample room for port improvements around the world. Once Cuba opens up, it will be a huge money maker for the industry (short travel distances from the US = low fuel cost), and it's a huge island with lots to do. The cruise lines need to prepare for the inevitable.

I get that the company can make more money on a larger ship. That being the case shouldn't it cost less to cruise on Oasis or Allure, not more. I prefer not sail on them because I don't want to pay extra for stuff that I don't want or need on my cruise. In fact, I'd pay more to sail a Radiance class ship on the same itinerary.

I don't think you can compare Radiance and Oasis class apples to apples, since Radiance class leaves from different ports and have different itineraries.

You can get a 7 day cruise on Oasis for $569 which is not bad. If you want a balcony, the difference in price is generally a lower percent increase over an inside compared with other ships, since there is a larger percent of balcony cabins on the Oasis class.

Prices are set by both supply AND demand, and there is quite a bit of demand for the newer ships with more amenities.

I get that the company can make more money on a larger ship. That being the case shouldn't it cost less to cruise on Oasis or Allure, not more. I prefer not sail on them because I don't want to pay extra for stuff that I don't want or need on my cruise. In fact, I'd pay more to sail a Radiance class ship on the same itinerary.

Although I'd love to see more ships, I wish RC would retain a fleet of smaller ships and visit some different islands and countries. Large ships are limited to ports that can handle them. Smaller ships can go to small ports and smaller waterways.

Azamara Club. Small ships and they are all about the ports, alot of late night or overnight stays too. The best cruise i have ever been on. RCCL owns Azamara.

Edited by Jtd724

Operating costs are only a small factor in determining cruise prices. Much more important are "supply" and "demand". As long as there is great demand to sail on the newest and largest ships in the fleet, you can expect to pay a premium to sail on them. It isn't rocket science, just a fact that any successful company charges whatever the market will bear. At present that means that they can charge more for an Oasis class ship's cruise. Allure and Oasis are fantastic ships and while we generally prefer sailing on Radiance class ships, we have never regretted choosing the Oasis class ships for some of our trips. To my mind all of RCI's ships offer a cruise well worth whatever they charge, whether or not I make use of all of the features they offer. When Quantum and Anthem debut you can expect that fares for Oasis and Allure may retreat a bit.