Freedom v. Jewel

EBM

My boyfriend and I went on the Freedom last year and loved it. Now we are contemplating going on the Jewel in February. We really like the itinerary and it is port intensive. Obviously, the Jewel is a smaller, older ship. I'm worried about being disappointed. The Freedom was my boyfriend's first cruise and he loved the ship. Last night we saw a cruise ship in the Newport harbor and he could not believe how small it was! I have been on smaller ships in the past. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Jewel is not that much older than Freedom, just 2 years older. And far fewer passengers, so the space ratio is almost identical to Freedom. You will miss things like the Promenade and Flowrider, but you will get visibility to the outside from almost every venue. Plus the outdoor seating for Windjammer and the Seaview Cafe.

It's not THAT much smaller, either. However, I don't like that the adult Solarium is covered....you can't tan in there! If you like sunning, you're sort of forced to do it around the main pool.

I do enjoy the outdoor WJ seating.

All in all, I prefer the Voyager/Freedom class more than Radiance class.

It's not THAT much smaller, either. However, I don't like that the adult Solarium is covered....you can't tan in there! If you like sunning, you're sort of forced to do it around the main pool.

I do enjoy the outdoor WJ seating.

All in all, I prefer the Voyager/Freedom class more than Radiance class.

The solarium roof on that class of ship retracts and we've been on several Jewel and Radiance cruises when it has been open.

The solarium roof on that class of ship retracts and we've been on several Jewel and Radiance cruises when it has been open.

We've also been on JOS & ROS a few times...when have they actually opened the roof...what itinerary ?

We are talking about 155k GT for Freedom and 90k GT for Jewel so it is a fair difference in terms of size. I always considered the Voyager and Freedom class ships to be very very similar in design in which the Freedom class is just a stretch version of the Voyager class and also that the Oasis class has similar DNA to them. However the Radiance class ships are before the days of Royal Promenade, ice skating rink etc. are are totally different.

I love the solarium with the option of being indoor. To me the name Solarium is an indoor venue. There is always the sun deck and pool for the outside. The indoor solarium is always welcoming when cruising in cooler climate but RCI should make use of the retractable roof in accordance to the climate.

The outdoor seating in the WJ is refreshing compare to the other class ships.

It really depends what kinds of things you like to do on the ship. If it is a port intensive itinerary, keep in mind that you won't be spending as much time on the ship during the day.

The ships are very different but both are great in their own way. Jewel is a prettier ship with all of the glass and the views from the public areas, but Freedom has some great features like the Promenade and more to do.

If you do book the Jewel, be aware of the balcony rooms on deck 7 (indented ones) because you won't be able to look down to see directly below you as there is an overhang there.

Hope that helps.

It really depends what kinds of things you like to do on the ship.

quote]

Cathy hit the nail! We have sailed on the Vision, Voyager & Freedom class with more sailing's on a Vision class ship than any other. Talk about liking the 'WAY' smaller ships, we do. So ask him what he liked most about the things ya'll did on the Freedom, ( sailed her in 2011, great cruise ) and if they are not on the Jewel, would that be a deal breaker.

Ive been on Radiance and Freedom. Both are wonderful! To compare them though would be kind of like comparing a Toyota Camry to a Lexus GS. Both are very nice and from the same company but one is bigger and has more "bells and whistles".

For me, I would miss the Royal Promenade and ice show. Other than that, Jewel would be great and I would sail her in a heartbeat. Not having a Flowrider is not a deal breaker to me as I cant use it anyway.

I cant fathom being "disappointed" on ANY RCI ship. Thats just me though :)

My boyfriend and I went on the Freedom last year and loved it. Now we are contemplating going on the Jewel in February. We really like the itinerary and it is port intensive. Obviously, the Jewel is a smaller, older ship. I'm worried about being disappointed. The Freedom was my boyfriend's first cruise and he loved the ship. Last night we saw a cruise ship in the Newport harbor and he could not believe how small it was! I have been on smaller ships in the past. Does anyone have any thoughts?

I had the same issue! back from the Oasis, saw the Jewel's itinerary and contemplated a while before booking it because of size, features (not having a promenade, ice skating, etc) however, it was port intensive.... but let me tell you....

We did book it, and loved it!

The Jewel is a beautiful ship. The solarium is the most beautiful solarium I have ever seen, the main pool was amazing, the food, personnel, decor, and everything on the Jewel was just amazing. I would not hesitate to book the Jewel again (especially if it's port intensive) all you need is a nice home to come back to, where they feel you, spoil you and where you feel relaxed. I think the Jewel is the perfect ship for that.

Agree with evrything Yurita said. We had sailed Freedom 3 times and Liberty once prior to cruise on Jewel. Freedom was our favorite. Now that I have been on Jewel I wolud go back in a heartbeat. So would the three teen boys in our group. It is a beautiful ship with something for everyone!

Go on the Jewel... you won't be disappointed... How much time do you spend in the "Shopping Mall" on the Freedom? And... how much time will you enjoy watching the world go by on the Jewell? There is very little public space on the Jewell that you can't see the sunrise... or sunset... or the ocean... or the Islands... It is the perfect ship for a perfect cruise. Don't forget to enjoy a few games of eight ball!! Don't get me wrong.. Freedom is a great ship... but I think the Radiance Class ships offer a real Cruise...

Archived