Disembarking prior to last port: how to?

OMK&Belladonna

I have searched for an answer to my question and have not found enough information to actually have a clear understanding to formulate a plan of attack; therefore, I am asking in hopes of finding a complete answer.

My fiancé and I will cruise next year on a southern Caribbean itinerary aboard Summit. The cruise starts on October 25 and is a week long. We have already booked said cruise and will need to disembark at the last port prior to return to the originating departing port (on day six of the cruise). However we are not sure how exactly to do this. I have gathered that you must inform Celebrity, obviously, and I t is not allowed in every port. Should you get confirmation or approval when making a request to disembark prior to end? Our travel agent says he has informed Celebrity but is waiting for something from them. This has been the case for over a month now. Should it take that long to hear back? I would hate to assume we are all set with our request only to find out we didn't acquire actual permission, approval, what have you.

For what it is worth, we are seeking to disembark in St. Thomas where we will continue onward to St. John for our wedding and honeymoon hence the necessity to confirm approval.

Thanks in advance for your help!

This is called disembarking downline. It is covered in the FAQ section of the Celebrity website with an 800 number you can call for further advice. It does need to be approved in advance. Unfortunately you may not get approval for this proposal because it might get disallowed under the Passenger Vessel Services Act. What is the complete itinerary? Where does it start and stop and what other ports are visited? This is a complicated issue and what you are wanting to do may violate the law. Even if it doesn't, it still must be played by the Customs/Immigration officials in St. Thomas.

Thanks for your reply. I will read the website as well a call to see if I can resolve this.

The complete itinerary is as follows:

San Juan, Puerto Rico (embarking port)

St. Croix, USVI

Basseterre, St. Kitts

Roseau, Dominica

St. George's, Grenada

Day at sea

St. Thomas

San Juan, Puerto Rico

That being said, the port prior to arrival in St. Thomas is outside of the US. From my understanding of the Act you referenced- restricting disembarking in ports without a prior stop at a port outside of the US- we should be able to disembark in St Thomas. Am I incorrect in thinking so?

Yes, you are incorrect.

The itinerary as it is printed looks ok -- it is a ROUND TRIP itinerary, the ship is making a making a stop in A foreign port.

But you aren't wanting a round trip. The problem is that no cruise line is allowed to take passengers on a NON round trip itinerary without visiting a DISTANT foreign port, and none of these ports qualifies. I've emphasized all the key words.

What you are wanting is to be transported between one US port and a different US port. This requires a stop at either South America or Aruba, Bonaire or Curacao. That's how the law defines Distant Foreign Port.

Take for example, a ship traveling between Fort Lauderdale and San Diego. It must stop at either South America or one of the ABC islands. It can't just pass through the Panama Canal without going to one of the DISTANT foreign ports.

A ship going round trip in and out of Miami, only needs to stop at ANY foreign port.

I'm afraid that you will be unable to do what you want to do, and Celebrity will not give permission to disembark downline in St. Thomas.

Google PVSA and you'll be able to read more about the requirement of the law.

Thanks for your help cruisestitch!

Reading it completely made sense now rather than reading other's interpretation of it as evidenced on threads I was reading.

I am now aware we will not be able to disembark in St. Thomas, as all our ports are within North America as classified by the Act. So we will remain on board for the entirety of the cruise.

Thanks again! Your help is invaluable!

Yes, you are incorrect.

The itinerary as it is printed looks ok -- it is a ROUND TRIP itinerary, the ship is making a making a stop in A foreign port.

But you aren't wanting a round trip. The problem is that no cruise line is allowed to take passengers on a NON round trip itinerary without visiting a DISTANT foreign port, and none of these ports qualifies. I've emphasized all the key words.

What you are wanting is to be transported between one US port and a different US port. This requires a stop at either South America or Aruba, Bonaire or Curacao. That's how the law defines Distant Foreign Port.

Take for example, a ship traveling between Fort Lauderdale and San Diego. It must stop at either South America or one of the ABC islands. It can't just pass through the Panama Canal without going to one of the DISTANT foreign ports.

A ship going round trip in and out of Miami, only needs to stop at ANY foreign port.

I'm afraid that you will be unable to do what you want to do, and Celebrity will not give permission to disembark downline in St. Thomas.

Google PVSA and you'll be able to read more about the requirement of the law.

Not sure but believe you are incorrect. The Jones Act makes no distinction between distinct and near foreign ports. Vancouver is to Seattle just as Los Angeles is to Bali. Distance has no reverence

OMK&Belladonna, do not give up hope so quickly.

Yes, definitely contact Celebrity and apply for approval in advance.

You have nothing to lose but a few minutes of your time.

St. Thomas is one of the US Virgin Islands.

It looks like what you are proposing to do may be covered under exceptions in the PVSA:

EXCEPTIONS

Transportation of Passengers Between Puerto Rico and Other U.S. Ports

—46 U.S.C.

§ 55104

An exception to the PVSA permits non-coastwise-qualified vessels (vessels not qualified to engage in the coastwise trade) to transport passengers on voyages between ports in Puerto Rico and other U.S. ports until qualified U.S. vessels are available.

While it will be great if they let you disembark a day early, even if they should refuse your request do not let it spoil the enjoyment of your cruise as you can fall back on Plan B:

- complete the cruise, disembark in San Juan, then hop a short flight from San Juan to St. Thomas.

Wishing you a wonderful cruise, wedding and honeymoon!

Edited by varoo

It's definitely not ruining our upcoming cruise, wedding or honeymoon. After reading here and doing some reading of our own about the Passenger Vessel Act and the Jones Act excepting some ports we simply decided to accept that we may have to continue onboard to Puerto Rico and fly to St. Thomas.

I did call Celebrity but as it was after 8pm EST I'll have to call back today. At least we are armed with a different plan should they say no.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Edited by OMK&Belladonna

Isn't there a ferry from San Juan to St. Thomas? And very reasonable at that.

Good luck with your wedding plans!

No, there's no ferry between Puerto Rico and St Thomas that I know of. Years ago there was a ferry between St. Croix and Puerto Rico. I just don't have any idea if it's still in service these days. I remember my aunt taking a ferry between the two often. However there are flights between the two islands.

Not sure but believe you are incorrect. The Jones Act makes no distinction between distinct and near foreign ports. Vancouver is to Seattle just as Los Angeles is to Bali. Distance has no reverence

Actually cruisestich is largely correct. Presently the VI are exempt from provisions of the PVSA, it is legal to transport passengers between a US port and the VI. Whether or not Celebrity wants to do it maybe another issue, it could be something as simple as the CBP not wanting to set up to permit permanent disembarking of passengers. The PVSA came first in 1886 concerning passengers, while the Jones Act did not come along until around 1920 and applies to cargo. The PVSA does make distinctions between nearby and distant foreign ports. In order for a non US flagged ship to transport a passenger between say Ft. Lauderdale and San Diego it must call on a "distant foreign port." Here is a snip of the definition from a CBP publication....

" A “nearby foreign port” is defined as "any port in North America, Central America,

the Bermuda Islands, or

the West Indies (including t

he Bahama Islands, but not incl

uding the Leeward Islands of

the Netherlands Antilles, i.e., Aruba, B

onaire, and Curacao)." 19 CFR § 4.80a(a)(2).

However, there is no violation of the

PVSA when a passenger is on a voyage to one or

more coastwise ports and a “distant foreign

port” .

In your example Vancouver would be considered a nearby foreign port and Bali would be the distant. In terms of the PVSA it would be a moot point for either of those voyages as they do not involve transportation between two US ports.

Now we can all rest a little easier now that we know the government has this all under control;):D!

Happy sails....

Send an email to emergencyteam at celebritycruises dot com:

Subject: Request to disembark early at port location‏

Example:

Reservation ID: XXXXXXX

Ship: Celebrity Summit

Sailing Date: 14 DEC 2013

Stateroom: XX-XXXX Inside Stateroom

Port to Disembark: CHARLOTTE AMALIE, ST. THOMAS

Disembark Date: 20 DEC 2013

That's it.

We have done this multiple times on different lines. It took less than 24 hours to get the formal permission/confirmation to downline from RCCL.

On our next cruise (Azamara) we have permission to leave the ship in Mumbai and embark the next day in Goa. At the end of the cruise we are leaving a day early but it's in the same port (Singapore) where we will be overnight so was told to just let them know once onboard.

Email RCCL at AirSeaGFO@rccl.com

Make sure to include your reservation ID.

Edited by Jade13

We have done this multiple times on different lines. It took less than 24 hours to get the formal permission/confirmation to downline from RCCL.

On our next cruise (Azamara) we have permission to leave the ship in Mumbai and embark the next day in Goa. At the end of the cruise we are leaving a day early but it's in the same port (Singapore) where we will be overnight so was told to just let them know once onboard.

Email RCCL at AirSeaGFO@rccl.com

Make sure to include your reservation ID.

Your issue is totally different. The PVSA is a US law and does not apply to cruises outside the US.

I contacted Celebrity a couple days ago and was informed we would not be able to do this on our itinerary.

Keep in mind that the small airport next to the cruise terminal where you disembark does have commuter flights to St Thomas.

I certainly do not want to violate the PVSA, nor do I want to get billed $300pp for "jumping the ship". However, I did find this under "exceptions", maybe this is why X approved my disembarkation request?

Transportation of Passengers Between Puerto Rico and Other U.S. Ports—46 U.S.C. § 55104

An exception to the PVSA permits non-coastwise-qualified vessels (vessels not qualified to engage in the coastwise trade) to transport passengers on voyages between ports in Puerto Rico and other U.S. ports until qualified U.S. vessels are available.

I certainly do not want to violate the PVSA, nor do I want to get billed $300pp for "jumping the ship". However, I did find this under "exceptions", maybe this is why X approved my disembarkation request?

Transportation of Passengers Between Puerto Rico and Other U.S. Ports—46 U.S.C. § 55104

Do you see the exception to the exception noted in bold? There are qualified U.S. vessels available as there is a ferry service transporting passengers between Puerto Rico and San Juan. Thus, the bizarre provisions of the PVSA apply and that's why the OP can't do it.

I am contacting X for clarification. Does not make sense for me to be approved and not OP for essentially the same request.

No. It doesn't make sense and neither does the PVSA. But, that's X for you. Remember that the PVSA fine is not your fine to pay, it's X's fine to pay.

Do you have written confirmation that you can exit early? If so, I would leave well enough alone. At this point, what is going to be accomplished by you contacting X? The only thing that can happen is that they can change their minds and say you can't do it. I would, however, plan for the contingency that they don't let you off at the last minute. It costs about $70 to fly from SJU to STT on JetBlue.

Edited by BKFlowerMound