Is this normal from a PVP?

bogeydi

I got a call today from my PVP telling me I needed to pay another $700 deposit. I had originally booked a cruise through an online TA and paid $800 down. Had to cancel (Early Saver) and lost the $100 ($50 ea.). No problem - understood the risk - had to be done under the circumstances. So 3 weeks ago when we were ready to re-book, I decided to do so directly with Carnival. The PVP I spoke to said we needed to pay an additional $100 for the deposit of the new cruise. Okay. Again - we understood. $700 was held and we needed to pay the difference.

Apparently, however, the previous $700 went towards our balance on this new cruise and only $100 went toward the deposit. She told me today that her computer told her I didn't have a cruise booked because there was an insufficient deposit. She asked me if I could make the additional $700 payment before the end of the month. It took me 10 mins of questions before she finally admitted that although I DO have a cruise booked, she would not get the commission unless I paid her another $700 before the end of the month.

Loved the 2 Carnival cruises we've been on - looking forward to the 2 upcoming ones - but probably won't book directly with Carnival again.

The person you spoke with was incorrect. Held money by Carnival for canceled cruises using ES, cannot be used toward deposits on a new cruise...only final payment.

If the deposit is $400pp, then yes, you owe them $700 more to reserve your cabin. The held $700 from canceled cruise will be deducted from your final payment.

The person you spoke with was incorrect. Held money by Carnival for canceled cruises using ES, cannot be used toward deposits on a new cruise...only final payment.

If the deposit is $400pp, then yes, you owe them $700 more to reserve your cabin. The held $700 from canceled cruise will be deducted from your final payment.

So it sounds like they may very we'll cancel my reservation unless I pay the additional $700. I don't want to lose my cabin so I'd better do that ASAP. Tgank you for the clarification.

So it sounds like they may very we'll cancel my reservation unless I pay the additional $700. I don't want to lose my cabin so I'd better do that ASAP. Tgank you for the clarification.

Your welsome, and yes, they will cancel your reservation. It will make for a rather nice final payment though.

I also have a cruise booked for Aug/2014, and they are holding $700 of my money also. My cabin has dropped $810 since July, so I am hoping for more drops before cruise.

I have a doctorate in business and had to read this three times!! Wish it weren't so confusing!:eek:

Thanks, crzndeb.

I honestly don't know. Fairly new to Carnival and the lingo. It was the person I got when I called them to book (re-book) the cruise.

If you called the general 800 number, you didn't talk to a PVP, just a CVS or reservation agent.

CVS' are in the most part NOT as savvy and knowledgeable as PVP's (different education level, years of experience in the travel industry and job requirements).

Since you say that your Carnival expertise is limited, it may pay off to get someone with more experience to assist you. Either a TA or a PVP. By the way, what made you decide to ditch your original TA?

I usually just shop around for the best deal on a cruise. The original cruise was booked on a well known travel site - didn't have a TA or anything. Since it was the same price as Carnival this time and didn't offer any obc or extras - I just decided to book directly through Carnival. I had read here on CC how so many people were happy with their PVP - I assumed that meant they just called Carnival and were assigned to the person that answered the phone. I'm learning. Thanks for your help. I do appreciate CC experienced cruisers!

So exactly how do you get a PVP? I know you can't mention names here but I've never heard of how you actually get a PVP.

You can call and ask to be transferred to a PVP. If you don't click with the one you talk to call back until you get one you like. I have been using the same PVP since Carnival has had them. I would much rather deal directly with my Carnival PVP than a travel agent. I like having the control over my booking and not having to go thru a travel agent.

You can call and ask to be transferred to a PVP. If you don't click with the one you talk to call back until you get one you like. I have been using the same PVP since Carnival has had them. I would much rather deal directly with my Carnival PVP than a travel agent. I like having the control over my booking and not having to go thru a travel agent.

Very much the same here. Have used the same PVP since 2007. I like the idea of being able to call and talk to Carnival directly at most any time of day if needed. NOT just when a certain person at a certain office is available. But then again. I can text or email my PVP at most anytime IF needed.

OP, sounds like the person who booked you on the new trip was not fully aware of how ES worked. If paying the other $700 that soon is a problem. I would call back and ask for a supervisor to request an extension given the situation and what you were told at booking. Carnival is due the deposit but some extra time would not be out of the question and very fair IMO.

I did call Carnival back and spoke with someone else. This person said my booking was just fine - no more payment due until final payment. Now I'm really confused. Anyway - Ill just keep checking my booking and make sure I'm still booked. I would love to know how to get a good PVP too!

Definitely get a PVP and remember that IF (for some reason) you do not like the PVP you are assigned....

you can change at any time.

You are still dealing directly with Carnival but you are dealing with one person all the time that is assigned to your account for all your cruises.

And they do not work on commission.....

Archived