Man Overboard on Brilliance

mc'smom

Agian I have to ask---- how does one just fall off a ship?

I don't think they do. Any why is this posted here?

I have to ask AGAIN. How does one fall of a cruise ship? I cant even imagine what situation would warrant someone falling off... Would it be someone looking over the ship, or someone losing their balance (even so, its still hard to fall off the ship)

They are not going to find that man, he is fish food.... I hate to say that but think about it--- anyone falling off in the middle of the ocean in the middle of the night or anytime I guess would have a pretty slim survival rate... That ocean is so big and so strong and so full of life, its hard to withstand its power without any kind of assistance.

This subject is pertinent to any cruiseline since this happens on all lines. I suspect that sometimes a fall is from trying to go from one balcony to the next by someone that has had a bit too much to drink.

Out of 18 cruises, 4 on Carnival, Brilliance is by far the prettiest ship I've seen.

Falling overboard was a big issue of mine when we first started cruising, especially since we had our 2 young children along. I had read so many horror stories of people falling overboard that I was a little paranoid. :eek:

But once we went on our cruise, it was very evident that a person would need to climb up on the railing in order to go overboard. And if you think about it, I don't ever recall there being a story of a child going overboard, only adults. From what I've read about these incidents it usually ends up coming out that the person had too much to drink and was climbing up on the railing to scare their loved one or was doing it to show off. It's sad to say, but many times alcohol is involved. :(

My sister told me about this teh other day. Someone she works with knows the wife. They think maybe foul play was involved because he just wasn't the type to get stupid drunk. He was very happy about the marriage too.

She was with him not too long before she suspected that he was missing.

Very sad situation. she had to get off in Turkey to fly home.

From the not missing but mislaid department: Monday CND ran an article about a Fascination passenger who reported that her cabinmate wasn't in her cabin when she woke up. After searching the ship it turned out he was missing, and the Coast Guard was called in to search the path the ship had sailed since he was last seen. One cruise executive dropped us a line to let us know that these days more often than not when a cabinmate is reported "missing" and not in the cabin in the morning, it turns out that the person somehow managed to be sleeping in the wrong cabin, and is amazed that the person in bed with them isn't their original cabinmate. I guess one bed was too hard, and they checked another one that was too soft and they kept going until they found one that was j-u-s-t right.

I have to go with Longlegscruiser on this one...How one falls off a ship stupid drunk or not is beyond me...but I guess I should be grateful for stupidity as it is job security for me.

On a more serious note, where was the new bride? how long did it take for her to miss the new husband?? I am doubtful but always optimistic and hope that they find him.

I have to go with Longlegscruiser on this one...How one falls off a ship stupid drunk or not is beyond me...but I guess I should be grateful for stupidity as it is job security for me.

Did you ever think maybe he didn't *FALL* off?

Hope nothing like this ever happens to a family member or friend of yours, because I find nothing about this to joke about.

Did you ever think maybe he didn't *FALL* off?

Hope nothing like this ever happens to a family member or friend of yours, because I find nothing about this to joke about.

I think you'll find more lotto winners than relatives of ship jumpers on this board.

Barring a phantom gust of a 100-knot wind, it is impossible to "fall" overboard, unless someone is attempting something outside the realm of normal cruising behavior. This could be anything from an innocent sober attempt to go around the balcony dividers to a drunken hand stand on the balcony railing.

People do really stupid things sometimes. When people that do really stupid things do it often enough, eventually natural selection comes into play and culls out the gene pool.

To some this may seem brutal, but even they would have to agree this is blatantly true. :(

"There are old sailors and there are bold sailors, but there are no old bold sailors."

[quote name=glrounds

People do really stupid things sometimes. When people that do really stupid things do it often enough, eventually natural selection comes into play and culls out the gene pool.

To some this may seem brutal, but even they would have to agree this is blatantly true. :(

i]

It is being investigated as foul play. They did find blood in the area. Even if it were someone that jumped off, I don't find it anything to joke about.

I have been on these boards a long time, some of the above posters are in the minority if they think this is funny.

Have fun.

I was just on the diamond, and really the only way to FALL off was if you had a 9th floor balcony or were on the deck with the lifeboats above you (Deck 7). The bow had a ceiling railing that caught you if you were throw up due to wind and the tippy back, welll you couldn't get there. If you fell off the side onnywhere besides the 9th and 7th decks, you would land on a balcony.

e39m5

PS: Imagine getting to your balcony and finding some guy there with a broken leg.

It is being investigated as foul play. They did find blood in the area. Even if it were someone that jumped off, I don't find it anything to joke about.

I have been on these boards a long time, some of the above posters are in the minority if they think this is funny.

Have fun.

How did you learn it was foul play?

Yes I am in the minority I voted for "not Bush"

Archived