Ship Preparation

Stickman505

Hello my friend... wow, your font is getting bigger by the week. A small favor and would you mind turning it down again? I know it's probably easier for you to read, but it is actually harder for me to read and it hurts my eyes. It looks like you are at a "5" - would you mind going down to at least a 3? It would be so appreciated.

I thought I'd ask but of course, it's mine to deal with if you say no. :) Many thanks.

I am also not complaining, just posting an observation. Large fonts that are significantly different than the majority do stand out - which might be the object - but often stand out for the wrong reason. Much like using all CAPS is considered shouting, using larger than normal font has the same affect on many of us. It isn't a big deal, really. But like I mentioned, it is noticeable and not always for the best reasons.

For the record, I appreciate Krazy Kruisers posts, so certainly don't want her to stop, regardless of font size used.

For those of you complaining about those of us who prefer a smaller font, especially charfan9 - you aren't contributing any value to a civil conversation between us and the Karzy Kruisers, but instead come across as mean and condescending.

By the time they are hustling you off for debarkation they need you out of the way as fast as possible, and you have already tipped them or left auto-tip in place, so there is no need for them to pretend that serving you is a pleasure. The boarding passengers, on the other hand, need to be schmoozed.

This is exactly what happened on one of our cruises last year. Everyone was disembarking and I went over to a woman bartender and asked her for a napkin. She showed how annoyed she was by rolling her eyes. (Actually ignoring me on my first two requests)

A few minutes later she came over to our group to see if we wanted something to drink while we were waiting.....

Well, she was rather surprised to see we were on the B2B. I told her in front of some officers, I didn't want to bother her anymore then I already have!

Hello my friend... wow, your font is getting bigger by the week. A small favor and would you mind turning it down again? I know it's probably easier for you to read, but it is actually harder for me to read and it hurts my eyes. It looks like you are at a "5" - would you mind going down to at least a 3? It would be so appreciated.

I thought I'd ask but of course, it's mine to deal with if you say no. :) Many thanks.

Sorry if my font size is bothering you (I know of several others who use the same size) -- but I am having some major eye problems. This font size is the same one I have used the last couple of months. It has not been getting any bigger by the week. Next eye appointment is in December and I know I am not going to like what he is going to say to me. Even using the larger font size, I am still having troubles reading what I type and thus still making mistakes.

So if your friends and you don't like my size -- you can put me on your "Ignore" list and then you won't see what I have types. That is an easy solution.

I'm surprised to read no one has mentioned shore side employees. The ships crew doesn't do it all, they have help from beyond the gangway come aboard and help clean, re-stock and other duties.

They will clean and close off certain public areas during the last night as well.

It's a huge job and on disembarkation day, we just get ready to leave, eat our breakfast and try to stay out of the way.

Sorry if my font size is bothering you (I know of several others who use the same size) -- but I am having some major eye problems. This font size is the same one I have used the last couple of months. It has not been getting any bigger by the week. Next eye appointment is in December and I know I am not going to like what he is going to say to me. Even using the larger font size, I am still having troubles reading what I type and thus still making mistakes.

So if your friends and you don't like my size -- you can put me on your "Ignore" list and then you won't see what I have types. That is an easy solution.

No one said we wanted to put you on our ignore list. I personally value your contributions. That you have a good reason to use a larger font size is understandable and I have no problem with that. Not knowing that you did, I, and another person, offered an innocent request. Some people use larger or fancy fonts to dress up their posts, which is done more for their own enjoyment than any other reason. But, with eye problems, you have a valid reason. I use prescription reading glasses now to read these posts, so I can fully understand what you are dealing with.

No offense was intended. My apologies if I offended you.

I'm not sure how changing your font size in your own personal posts helps you with the forums. You should instead be changing your browser settings to large fonts to make everything bigger. If you're using IE click on Page, Text Size, Largest. You could also raise the zoom of the pages in that same menu. Further adjustments can be made in windows using the accessibility modes. I understand you're having eye problems, but that doesn't mean you have to project them onto everyone else. I hope you get your issues resolved soon.

To start with, I am a typical Male. Been cruising for 45 years. The one basic thing that I have learned in life? It's not the size of the waves, it's the motion of the ocean. Calm down and get civilized. :p

[/font]

I'm not sure how changing your font size in your own personal posts helps you with the forums. You should instead be changing your browser settings to large fonts to make everything bigger. If you're using IE click on Page, Text Size, Largest. You could also raise the zoom of the pages in that same menu. Further adjustments can be made in windows using the accessibility modes. I understand you're having eye problems, but that doesn't mean you have to project them onto everyone else. I hope you get your issues resolved soon.

This!

[/font]

This is what several other posters have tried to help her with previously. It would help her with all websites and reading all posts, but....

I always have the utmost sympathy for the "front line" crew, (such as room stewards / stewardesses and dining room / buffet waitstaff,) but never more so than on "turnaround day", which is just the WORST for them-- completely exhausting, especially since so many of them have to pitch in on luggage removal into the wee hours of the night before. And of course, being "front of the house" means dealing constantly with passengers. Most are just delighted to be on vacation, but some are just flat-out spoiled, entitled jerks that I'd love to see keelhauled. (Look it up if you don't know the word!:cool:)

That said, however, their job on turnaround day isn't THAT much worse than what hotel staff have to do when a big convention crowd clears out of town. Hotel guests are told to check out at 11am, and new guests' rooms are supposed to be ready at 3pm-- a window of just four hours. On a ship, 8am to 1pm leaves them five hours. Of course, on a ship, nearly EVERYONE except those back-to-back passengers leaves at once.

The moral of the story: BE NICE. And tip well!

I can't imagine how they get it all done. I need to watch one of those shows.

As far as the font thingy. I just recently upped the size of my pages because these forums were hard on my eyes. I can't use my glasses because the glare from the screen does something funky but if you just hold down the control key and then tap the + sign it will automatically make the page bigger.

Just watched one of these about the Oasis of the Seas. It was called Extreme Cruise Ship, or something like that. It was fascinating!

Sitting here in Western Australia, watching the very same show right now, while checking out CC. It can be a really small world!! What a fabulous and hard working crew. Its amazing what they achieve in such a small space of time. Now straight after it there is one about Oasis of the Seas. Great learning how it all works:D

I'm surprised to read no one has mentioned shore side employees. The ships crew doesn't do it all, they have help from beyond the gangway come aboard and help clean, re-stock and other duties.

They will clean and close off certain public areas during the last night as well.

It's a huge job and on disembarkation day, we just get ready to leave, eat our breakfast and try to stay out of the way.

Actually, not anymore.

A decade ago, a few cruise lines tried using shore-based cleaners to assist on turnaround days.

Most of the cleaners were OK, but the number of thefts of passenger and ships property went way up. One cruise line even went so far as making pocketless uniforms for these shoreside cleaners.

But then the IMO and MLC2006 came along, requiring extensive - and expensive - safety and security training and medical tests before those shore-based employees could set foot on the ships. It was no longer cost effective and was stopped.

The ships crew has to do it all.

I've noticed on a few occasions that during turndown service on the last night of the cruise the bedside tables have been loaded up with new linens and towels.

Also, I've noticed that the shower dispensers are refilled and the bathrooms are restocked with tissue and paper supplies.

But it's a huge job for sure, and not one that I would want.

By the time they are hustling you off for debarkation they need you out of the way as fast as possible, and you have already tipped them or left auto-tip in place, so there is no need for them to pretend that serving you is a pleasure. The boarding passengers, on the other hand, need to be schmoozed.

Actually, I noticed this phenomonem more in the earlier years of my cruising. It was most noticeable in the attitudes of our assigned dining room waitstaff. We traditionally gave the tip envelopes out after the last dinner. If we happened to get the same server's for breakfast before debarkation, they did not seem as 'friendly' as usual.

And no, it was not because they were undertipped....it did not matter how much they received, it was because they already received it.

Since 'freestyle', or 'anytime' and 'autopay' came about, that has changed for the better, IMHO....no noticeable change any longer....:)

Archived