Amsterdam to Budapest or Budapest to Amsterdam?

Traveling Wifee

We are not Viking cruisers so cannot help there but we loved Budapest and enjoyed 4 days there last year pre cruise. We have been twice to Amsterdam as we have taken cruises that have arrived or departed from there and simply do not care for the city.

For value, Budapest beats Amsterdam hands down as well as for food and ambiance. JMO.

Our personal preference is to make the longer flight/worst time change at the beginning of the trip and if possible (we both work) give ourselves time to adjust. Then we tend to fly back and start work quickly at the end of a trip so it's nice having the shorter flight on the return. Won't always be possible, but if we can, that's how we make the choice.

Not sure if this is entirely true, but it was mentioned to me that when you travel from Amsterdam to Budapest, the weather travels with you, but when you go the opposite direction it doesn't. So if you start in Amsterdam with sun, you'll have a good trip. If it rains,,, who knows???

We went Budapest to Amsterdam in summer last year, had 3 days pre cruise in Budapest and the same in Amsterdam at the end of the cruise. I really dont think it makes a big difference which way you go, from what I've read on here anyway.

Which ever way you do it , I'm sure you'll love it, the scenery is spectacular.

We had planned the opposite direction but this was all that was available and then only one cabin left for the month we were looking at, like someone else here has said, it might be more a matter of availability than choice.

Stay extra days in Budapest at least, its absolutely beautiful and there is so much to see there, I would have loved a week, not just the 3 days.

Not sure if this is entirely true, but it was mentioned to me that when you travel from Amsterdam to Budapest, the weather travels with you, but when you go the opposite direction it doesn't. So if you start in Amsterdam with sun, you'll have a good trip. If it rains,,, who knows???

Good memory. I was just about to post that advise again. :)

If flying from Budapest with Viking you get up very early to fly to Amsterdam to catch the same flight as those disembarking there. On the river itself, it doesn't really matter. Last October we had rain on Amsterdam, sun on the river and snow leaving Budapest.

Re: weather traveling with you. If the weather is bad in Amsterdam then since most of the weather fronts come from the Atlantic and sweep from west to east you would carry that weather with you. If, however, you start at Budapest you will go "through" any front and would emerge with better weather in front of you.

Of course, Amsterdam is known for 4 weather conditions: sun, rain, sleet, and snow and according to the locals one could encounter any 3 of those in a given day!

I really think this is a furphy - built more on rumour than fact. In early September 2011 we sailed from Amsterdam to Budapest. When we arrived in Amsterdam the weather was overcast with light rain and those conditions remained until we sailed into Cologne where the skies turned blue and we had perfect weather all the way into Budapest. The rainy weather did not follow us.

Archived