Irons & Ironing

San10s

Greetings! :D

We're heading on the Noordam in 4 weeks and I read that the Noordam is one of the ships without guest laundry / ironing facilities.

I heard from my sister that a couple she met stated that when on the Nieuw Amsterdam, they were able to call someone who would deliver an iron & ironing board to you cabin for a specific amount of time. Can anyone confirm that this is really something that I would be able to do on the Noordam?

I have always been on a ship with ironing facilities. I really didn't want to send out most of my clothing for pressing on the first day on board! :eek:

Thanks! :D

Pack using dry cleaner bags and you should not have many wrinkles.

I almost never have to send things out to be pressed.

Hang the blouse or shirt on a wire dry cleaner hanger, put a dry cleaner bag over it and pack flat. The air in the bag helps keep the garment from wrinkling.

Out of all our HAL cruises, I have never heard or read on CC about anyone having an iron and ironing board delivered to their cabin particularly on a ship that has no self-service lauderette.

The ships that have launderettes are: Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam, Rotterdam, Zaandam, Voldendam, Amsterdam and Prinsendam. There are irons and ironing boards in those lauderettes.

All Vista and Signature ships have no irons for guests and we are not permitted to bring our own irons to any of the ships.

I heard from my sister that a couple she met stated that when on the Nieuw Amsterdam, they were able to call someone who would deliver an iron & ironing board to you cabin for a specific amount of time.

Could it possibly have been on the Amsterdam, which has self-service facilities? There might have been some special circumstances that allowed it to be done there, but I highly doubt that it was done on the N.A.

I always pack the way SAIL does. With things like t shirts and capri's, I've used large plastic baggies and they've held up fine. I just ordered some of those packing cubes for next time and I'll see how I do. We're going to be out of town guests at a hotel for a family reunion in December, and I'll try them out there.

I rarely have to send things out to be pressed & hate wrinkled clothes..I too pack all of them in dry cleaner bags & hang them out in a steamy hot shower ..Most of the time the wrinkles come right out..Some of my evening clothes can be either rolled or packed flat with tissue paper...If it has to be folded such as DH's slacks I wrap a paper towel roller in tissue & put it between the fold so it does not crease it..Once in a while I have to send something out but not often..

We also take advantage of the laundry bags.. It's between $20 & $25.00 per bag..If you are star Mariner you will get a reduction..You can get quite a bit in those bags by rolling things together..I roll & DH stuffs...He's good at this..

Have never heard that they will deliver a board or iron to your cabin..

Enjoy your cruise..

Betty

We too have used dry cleaning bags to reduce wrinkling for years. We did get a little more wrinkling last year traveling to Europe but our clothing stayed packed a lot longer as we flew in two days early and didn't unpack at our pre-cruise hotel. Meant we had some pressing done but not a lot so a small price to pay. I too can't imagine having a cruise ship deliver an iron and board to a cabin.

Laundry: For your convenience, we offer full laundry and dry cleaning service. You will find laundry bags and price lists in your closet. Self-service laundromats are situated in various locations on board, except the ms Nieuw Amsterdam, ms Eurodam, ms Noordam, ms Oosterdam, ms Westerdam and ms Zuiderdam. The facility consists of washers, dryers, irons and ironing boards. Specially priced laundry and pressing packages are available at favorable prices. Please check your welcome folder for details. There is a charge for the use of washers and dryers. For safety reasons, ironing clothes in your stateroom is not allowed any time.

Go to page 15: http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf

I've used the dry cleaner bags and have never had a problem with wrinkles, even when clothes have been in the suitcase for several days prior to arriving at the ship. I bought some spacebags once for summer storage of linens and when I unpacked them there was a terrible smell from the bags. Took 3-4 washings to remove the smell.

If something did wrinkle I would try steaming it in the bathroom while my husband takes a hot shower, or send it out to be pressed. It's vacation and I don't cook, clean, do laundry, or press clothes :D

I've used the dry cleaner bags and have never had a problem with wrinkles, even when clothes have been in the suitcase for several days prior to arriving at the ship. I bought some spacebags once for summer storage of linens and when I unpacked them there was a terrible smell from the bags. Took 3-4 washings to remove the smell.

If something did wrinkle I would try steaming it in the bathroom while my husband takes a hot shower, or send it out to be pressed. It's vacation and I don't cook, clean, do laundry, or press clothes :D

I'm with you..:DWhile on Vacation, I won't do my own laundry any more even if they have the facilities on our ship !

Betty

I'm with you..:DWhile on Vacation, I won't do my own laundry any more even if they have the facilities on our ship !

Betty

Totally agree! Not only do we now never do our own laundry on the ship ... we never have. On Vacation! :D

LuLu

~~~~

Archived