Anyone use ear plugs???

lor74

I was wondering if anyone uses ear plugs for sleeping on a cruise, and if so which brand. I have super sonic hearing, and can be kept awake by a variety of noise that nobody else hears! And to be clear, these noises are separate from the voices in my head :p

On some of our cruises, I have had trouble sleeping because of the vibrations that go through the ceiling or walls. I also can hear the frequency that comes from some electrical equipment, and at 39yrs old, I can still hear the 17.4kHz frequency which can usually only be heard by young people.

On some days I can even read people's minds :eek: Like yesterday when that guy was road raging on me...I guess because I didn't stay behind him while he was driving soooo slow.....perhaps I was aided in knowing what he was thinking by the middle finger that he gave me :cool:

I'm a light sleeper and almost always wear earplugs. I have been using plugs made by 3M:

1c9f4746-20cd-4533-b3ef-d5350d822ecc_300.jpg

They are called "3M Tekk Protection Orange Disposable Earplugs". I buy mine at my local Home Depot in the tools department. They come in packages of 7 pair for $2.97 or 100 pair for about $20. I use a pair for a week and then toss them out.

To drown out all the noises that surround your cabin bring an oscillating fan that you can fit in your luggage. I bring a fan every time we cruise and it helps me immensely. It drowns out my husband's snoring and if you check on Cruise critic you will find out that alot of other people do the same thing. I also do this at home. I don't need any sleeping pills because of the fan going full blast. :):):)

Thanks, I will have a look at the 3M plugs. So far I have only tested the cheap foam plugs which will not even stay in my ears.

As for trying to drown out the noise with something else, that would only work if I am very tired. If I have any focus left in me, I will distinguish the different noises.....such as in my bedroom, where we have a ceiling fan and are right above the furnace & heat pump. Even with all this constant noise, I would still know if my wife is charging her Blackberry in the room. It gives off a very high pitched "eeeeeeeeeeee" which drives me crazy, and of course she is completely oblivious to it.

I'm a light sleeper and almost always wear earplugs. I have been using plugs made by 3M:

They are called "3M Tekk Protection Orange Disposable Earplugs". I buy mine at my local Home Depot in the tools department. They come in packages of 7 pair for $2.97 or 100 pair for about $20. I use a pair for a week and then toss them out.

To let you know how good they work, I happen to know for a fact that lots of airport workers use these to block out plane noise. I personally have used them and can vouch for their effectiveness. BTW, thanks for the reminder. My traveling companions snore!

I was wondering if anyone uses ear plugs for sleeping on a cruise, and if so which brand. I have super sonic hearing, and can be kept awake by a variety of noise that nobody else hears! And to be clear, these noises are separate from the voices in my head :p

On some of our cruises, I have had trouble sleeping because of the vibrations that go through the ceiling or walls. I also can hear the frequency that comes from some electrical equipment, and at 39yrs old, I can still hear the 17.4kHz frequency which can usually only be heard by young people.

On some days I can even read people's minds :eek: Like yesterday when that guy was road raging on me...I guess because I didn't stay behind him while he was driving soooo slow.....perhaps I was aided in knowing what he was thinking by the middle finger that he gave me :cool:

I know this will sound crazy, but Silly Putty is excellent for ear plugs.

Years ago, I had recurring problems with water in my ears. My otolaryngologist recommended Silly Putty because it formed a water tight seal. Well, I tried it and no more ear infections. Great when you have noise problems too.

I can't use the foam ones because they don't stay in my ears. i use silicone ones by Mack (or the store's generic versions). you roll them into a ball, then but them in your ears and flatten them out. they don't go in the canal at all. They work for me and allow me to sleep when my husband is snoring!

I have supersonic hearing also. I use a fan and ear plugs a lot of times. I can't sleep with any sound, other than a fan or some monotonous steady rhythm to lull me to sleep. I have a air purifier going right now just to drown out the outside noise. If my pomeranian that sleeps under the bed (her choice) snorts she will wake me up.

I've used the foam ones, but didn't have much luck. They were the ones you roll between your fingers to soften and narrow before putting them in, ....

but they didn't stay in, and just kept slowly coming out.

Until I discovered (right after a shower) that if they (or your ears) are damp, they'll stay put oh-so-nicely. And actually require a bit of finesse to remove them!

Gosh ... am I the only one who is totally weird or what ???

Using ear plugs and not being able to hear totally freaks me out.

:D Snoring from DH blocks out most other sounds anyway! :D

Still, being able to hear him snore is better than not being able to hear at all!

LuLu

~~~~

I would suggest to make sure that someone in your cabin can hear everything. Wouldn't want you to miss hearing an emergency alarm in the unlikely chance that it happens

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I use the disposable foam ones for plane travel (the rolling kind), usually at home from my snoring hubby. I had issues with them until I learned the proper technique to use them. After rolling, I gently pull my ear out a bit which opens the ear passage up in order to put the ear plug in. They stay in all night and block out most noise. Took me a few times to get the technique down.

Guest fyree39
I use the disposable foam ones for plane travel (the rolling kind), usually at home from my snoring hubby. I had issues with them until I learned the proper technique to use them. After rolling, I gently pull my ear out a bit which opens the ear passage up in order to put the ear plug in. They stay in all night and block out most noise. Took me a few times to get the technique down.

To expand on this, I reach my opposite hand over my head and pull my ear up from the top. This opens the canal to accept the ear plug, then releasing my ear allows the canal to collapse a bit and make a good seal.

If the plugs fall out, it means they're too big. Some plugs are smaller than others, but I'll be darned if I know which ones.

I rather enjoy hearing the little knocks and creaks of furniture, the soft foot falls down the carpeted hall. The occasional clang of a stewards cart or an elevator ding. These are the sounds I dream of and long to hear when I am falling asleep to the white noise of garbage trucks, sirens and city life on the East Side.

Jonathan

What I hear at night is:

The loud chatter of obnoxious people in the hallways late at night who have no consideration for others.

The clang, clang, clang of the hangers moving around in the closet....I do the best I can to minimize this

The Tictictictictictictictictic noise vibrating in the ceiling panels.....a touch of pressure on the ceiling will temporarily stop it

My neighbor who orders room service at 6am everyday, and the crashing of the cart and very loud KNOCK KNOCK ROOM SERVICE

The family of four jammed in the room next to me, and the father who keeps yelling at the children.

Of course everything is made 10x worse when you have already been awake for hours, staring at the ceiling praying for sleep, while your spouse is next to you looking so comfortable dreaming away.

Yeah, time to get plugs!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I brought these ones with me on my last cruise for my sister and my friend as unfortunately i am the one that snores.

It seemed to work for them.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Forums mobile app

I can't use the foam ones because they don't stay in my ears. i use silicone ones by Mack (or the store's generic versions). you roll them into a ball, then but them in your ears and flatten them out. they don't go in the canal at all. They work for me and allow me to sleep when my husband is snoring!

I'm going to have to try these. Typically I don't need anything, but sometimes my sister's snoring is out of control and unstopable. I can't use the foam kind because my ear canal is very small and they hurt after just a short while.

Can the Mack's be purchased at a drug store?

To expand on this, I reach my opposite hand over my head and pull my ear up from the top. This opens the canal to accept the ear plug, then releasing my ear allows the canal to collapse a bit and make a good seal.

If the plugs fall out, it means they're too big. Some plugs are smaller than others, but I'll be darned if I know which ones.

I agree. My sister does this as she puts in her hearing aid, which helped me realize how to get my ear plugs in. No issues now.

I would suggest to make sure that someone in your cabin can hear everything. Wouldn't want you to miss hearing an emergency alarm in the unlikely chance that it happens

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The foam plugs drown out lower frequency sounds, and some mid level sound. The high pitched wail of an emergency siren or speaker will easily get through these. They are specifically designed to eliminate most, but not all, sounds. Designed for use in factories or noisy work areas, safety was factored into the sounds they do and don't suppress.

I use ear plugs and also travel with a battery operated alarm clock and sound soother. It plays 10 or more options of "noise" (rain, ocean waves, heart beats, etc...) and you can adjust the volume as needed. It helps with snoring husbands or loud people in adjoining cabins or hallways...

Archived