Celebrity Solstice

Ship Name: Celebrity Solstice

Cruise Code: SL23OCT14

Departure Date: Thursday, 23 October 2014

Cruise Name: Cruise Sampler

Nights: 3

Departing: Sydney - Australia

Seems like there is a ton of availability on this cruise by Celebrity want $650 pp for lowest category. Dreaming??

I wouldn't mind trying it out but not when its so overpriced. Asking $1165 for solo. Laughs. I know its over a year away. But there is a ton of choice in cruising out of Australia these days.

Another short cruise I would like to try but the pricing is a bit high.

Ship Name: Carnival Spirit

Cruise Code: CS406

Departure Date: Tuesday, 18 February 2014

Cruise Name: Tasmania

Nights: 5

Departing: Sydney

Low cat inside $1397 (solo), I believe the Carnival website has it a bit lower, $719 pp. Its still a daily rate of 279 per night.

If this drops a bit more like under $200 per night I might consider it.

Another short cruise I would like to try but the pricing is a bit high.

Ship Name: Carnival Spirit

Cruise Code: CS406

Departure Date: Tuesday, 18 February 2014

Cruise Name: Tasmania

Nights: 5

Departing: Sydney

Low cat inside $1397 (solo), I believe the Carnival website has it a bit lower, $719 pp. Its still a daily rate of 279 per night.

If this drops a bit more like under $200 per night I might consider it.

with the extra ships coming to Sydney in 12 months time if you can hang off booking until very late you might get it for $100 per night

with the extra ships coming to Sydney in 12 months time if you can hang off booking until very late you might get it for $100 per night

I'm going to hang off booking as long as possible. If the sell out. So be it. I do have a buy in rate :D

We got a Concierge Balcony cabin on Solstice, Syd to Auck in March, $100 per day. The whole package, 14 day cruise, 2 nights at Quadrant Hotel, Auckland and flight back on Emirates - Auck to Syd, was $1800.

We got a Concierge Balcony cabin on Solstice, Syd to Auck in March, $100 per day. The whole package, 14 day cruise, 2 nights at Quadrant Hotel, Auckland and flight back on Emirates - Auck to Syd, was $1800.

There are some really cheap NZ cruises around at the mo. But looking for something shorter than 2 weeks.

Sarah we got our Auckland to Perth on Solstice with alcohol in Concierge but opted to get the reduced pricing from Perth to Sydney without alcohol. Looking forward to Valentines day lunch with you in the city. Terry and Mary

Yeap. Terry. Same.

Ship Name:Celebrity Solstice

Cruise Code:SL23OCT14

Departure Date:Thursday, 23 October 2014

Cruise Name:Cruise Sampler

Nights:3

Departing:Sydney - Australia

Seems like there is a ton of availability on this cruise by Celebrity want $650 pp for lowest category. Dreaming??

I wouldn't mind trying it out but not when its so overpriced. Asking $1165 for solo. Laughs. I know its over a year away. But there is a ton of choice in cruising out of Australia these days.

I'm doing the same cruise in jan 2014. The price dropped in January this year and they also offered a special, balcony for inside price. Twin share was just under $500pp.

What category cabin is that?

Jill:)

We were Category C3, Sky deck, forward, about 8 cabins back from bridge. That high up and that far forward you get the roller coaster ride sometimes. It was a 'free upgrade,' no way I would pay for concierge class, you get almost zilch.

Comparing Carnival to Celebrity is not a good idea. They are two entirely different cruise lines and appeal and cater to entirely different demographics.

Looking at how easily people complain about prices I guess many people here would have a heart attack, keel over and die if they saw the prices I have paid over the years for fancy hotel rooms on my travels. Personally I would never stay at a hotel that is under $100/night. I am at a loss to know what people expect from a cruise ship and what outstanding service they expect to receive for a similar price at sea.

Comparing Carnival to Celebrity is not a good idea. They are two entirely different cruise lines and appeal and cater to entirely different demographics.

Looking at how easily people complain about prices I guess many people here would have a heart attack, keel over and die if they saw the prices I have paid over the years for fancy hotel rooms on my travels. Personally I would never stay at a hotel that is under $100/night. I am at a loss to know what people expect from a cruise ship and what outstanding service they expect to receive for a similar price at sea.

I was not comparing them against each other. I was looking at them individually on a price per night rate. And deemed both to be over-priced.

Hard to say really. Prices used to be a lot more expensive than today prior to the GFC. Over the years the prices have come down when you would expect prices to rise. It wont last forever. It is inevitable that cruise prices will rise again in the future.

Hard to say really. Prices used to be a lot more expensive than today prior to the GFC. Over the years the prices have come down when you would expect prices to rise. It wont last forever. It is inevitable that cruise prices will rise again in the future.

WHY?

With ships getting bigger and bigger and their capacity increasing , I would expect prices to keep on falling.

Cruising is no longer a reserve of the wealthy.

WHY?

With ships getting bigger and bigger and their capacity increasing , I would expect prices to keep on falling.

I think it would be unsustainable to continue dropping prices. People expect quality and a good time. It would be a really bad thing if cruise prices dropped and dropped to dirt cheap prices. It would damage the reputation of the industry, attract the undesirables and allow a trend of poor service and standards to drop.

If prices did drop to like $50 or $60 a night then I will never sail on those ships. Its all speculation anyway as I doubt it will happen.

You cant go out for a night on the town and spend less than what you pay per night on a cruise. If you go to a cruise ship standard restaurant ashore it will cost you more than the per/night rate you pay for a cruise. Add in the entertainment and performances and it appears to be a good deal.

You cant hit the town, go to a restaurant, go to the movies, see a theatre/comedy/act/singer or show all for the value prices you get at sea. That is why it is unsustainable and cant continue.

For me the maths do not add up how a cruise line can sustain low prices no matter how big the ships get.

Compared to the GFC prices have risen substantially, easily double.

Agreed that the cruise lines are continuing to try to increase them though.

WHY?

The newer and bigger ships are more popular though, and being 'flagships' have the premium prices. If you look at those ships, the regular pricing for the newer/bigger ships is higher than the others.

We are doing Auckland to Sydney in December and booked with Qantas to fly Sydney to Auckland, but it is actually an Emirates plane. How did you find them to fly with?

Thanks

Jennie

We are doing Auckland to Sydney in December and booked with Qantas to fly Sydney to Auckland, but it is actually an Emirates plane. How did you find them to fly with?

Thanks

Jennie

I travel frequently on Emirates for business. They are a really well run airline. Their one noteworthy disadvantage is that they squeeze in more seats than most of their competitors. For example, an Emirates 777 has 10 seats across in economy class. In contrast, an Air New Zealand 777 has 9 seats across. See for yourself on seatguru dot com.

Thanks

Jennie

We flew with Emirates to Europe a couple of years ago. Best airline we have flown. The service is outstanding.

I travel frequently on Emirates for business. They are a really well run airline. Their one noteworthy disadvantage is that they squeeze in more seats than most of their competitors. For example, an Emirates 777 has 10 seats across in economy class. In contrast, an Air New Zealand 777 has 9 seats across. See for yourself on seatguru dot com.

Thank you for that. Hearing that is a bit worrying for a plus size lady like me :( Oh well, it is only 3 hours! And if the service is good, maybe that will make up for it.

Thank you for that. Hearing that is a bit worrying for a plus size lady like me :( Oh well, it is only 3 hours! And if the service is good, maybe that will make up for it.

I find Emirates planes quite roomy in economy. Both Air New Zealand and Emirates service are very good.

Archived