Poutine on Princess?

e71465

Does anyone know if they serve Poutine on Princess? I want to try it and I thought they might have it on the Crown in December. So I was just wondering if anyone has ever had it on a Princess ship? It sounds so good!! :p

For those of you who don't know what Poutine is, it's a common Canadian dish, originally from Quebec, made with french fries, topped with a light brown gravy-like sauce and cheese curds.

Does anyone know if they serve Poutine on Princess? I want to try it and I thought they might have it on the Crown in December. So I was just wondering if anyone has ever had it on a Princess ship? It sounds so good!! :p

For those of you who don't know what Poutine is, it's a common Canadian dish, originally from Quebec, made with french fries, topped with a light brown gravy-like sauce and cheese curds.

I've never seen it on Princess. That's not to say it doesn't exist, but I've never seen it.

Does anyone know if they serve Poutine on Princess? I want to try it and I thought they might have it on the Crown in December.

Try asking the headwaiter in MDR. With 24 hour notice they probably would make it for you. You will most likely have to explain it to them.

I've never seen it either. I know that the traditional way of doing Poutine is with cheese curd, but there are some alternatives that will get you somewhere close.

According to this page there is no real alternative however

I exert my expert opinion to say "My god, please no cottage cheese or velveeta! Blech, blech, blech!" Cubes of mozarella come closest, and I can't think of a better substitute.

I reckon that with fries from the Trident Grill, Gravy and Cheese from Horizon Court, you should be able to make a pretty good go of it at sea.

You get get fries from the trident, cheese from the pizza shop, and gravy from the carving station.....I would eat this because I love poutine in general. This however would not compare to fresh cut fries, fresh cheese curds, and a homemade thick brown gravy.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I have never seen it on a cruise, and as someone from Quebec, I can tell you that if they did, it would not compare to the "real" thing.

lor74 --

Where is the best poutine in Quebec City to be found? Going to be there in 12 days!!

Merci!

Can't answer that, I am in Montreal not QC. Like any other food, it is a matter of opinion. You can get it almost anywhere in the province, from fast food joints to fine dinning. My personal favorite is from a pizzeria near my house.....it is an Italian poutine: an amazing home made tangy meat sauce, fresh curds, and steak fries.....I crave it like heroin!!!!!!

I want to try it and I thought they might have it on the Crown in December.

Let's take a step back here for a second. Is a mass-market cruise ship that feeds 3,600 people a day really the best place to try a unique regional dish? The first time I ever tried caviar was at a church pot-luck supper when I was 9 years old. It took me years to overcome that trauma. Lesson learned. When trying something new, do your best to try it in a setting that will do the dish justice. :D

Wow! Poutine and Princess, two words I never taught I would see in the same sentence. What a cool thread! Who invented it is a big unresolved debate. Two clans claim to be the true inventors. Both from the same region, even the same village I believe, both in Quebec province. There is even a very very very high class restaurant in Montreal that serves a foie gras version of poutine ! As far as getting the best one in Quebec city, I would recommend that you ask locals as you get off the ship. They are very friendly and will be able to direct you to restaurants close by. But as there are many poutines, their favorite may not be yours. Bon appétit! Oh, last piece of advice, as it can be a little heavy , maybe try sharing one on your first try.

Let's take a step back here for a second. Is a mass-market cruise ship that feeds 3,600 people a day really the best place to try a unique regional dish? The first time I ever tried caviar was at a church pot-luck supper when I was 9 years old. It took me years to overcome that trauma. Lesson learned. When trying something new, do your best to try it in a setting that will do the dish justice. :D

That's a good point, and I must admit that's something I do wish that Princess actually did harness or do better.

It would make sense (to me at least) to have regional dishes available to some degree every day either as a reminder of food they may have eaten in port that day, or the food that they will try the next day in port.

When you're sailing away from Victoria or Quebec, have Poutine available. If you are leaving NYC, give Hot Dogs and Mustard a bit of a flogging. The day that you said into Sydney Harbour, make sure that you have meat pies on the menu. Sailing into Nagasaki? Sushi. Venice? Pasta Day!

I don't expect locally produced perfection, but surely a bit of regional flavour would be easy enough to co-ordinate.

You won't be able to get poutine on Princess, and even if you could, I would recommend you try it somewhere else. You have better luck finding it around where you live than on a Princess ship. Now, I am from Montreal, am NOT a huge fan of poutine but I have had it a couple of times and enjoyed it. Princess doesn't usually do regional dishes that well. I had their Pad Thai once and it was bloody awful. Again, I recommend you try poutine somewhere near where you live. You don't have to go all the way to (the province of) Québec, it is becoming more popular everywhere. In Vancouver there is a place on Davie Street that makes all kinds of varieties. I had their smoked meat poutine last week and I thought I died and went to heaven!!

Since it is a good hangover prevention / post-drinking food, you might want to ask college students in your area where to find it. Good luck!!

Can't answer that, I am in Montreal not QC. Like any other food, it is a matter of opinion. You can get it almost anywhere in the province, from fast food joints to fine dinning. My personal favorite is from a pizzeria near my house.....it is an Italian poutine: an amazing home made tangy meat sauce, fresh curds, and steak fries.....I crave it like heroin!!!!!!

http://poutinewar.com/en/poutineries/la-poutinerie-3/ it is one restaurant that is recommanded !

Thanks to both of you. Looking forward to trying it :D

I recommend that you not get *fancy* poutine the first time. Just go for the simple fries/curds/gravy combo. This will give you a better feel for what poutine really is. Then you can branch out if you want. I have been eating poutine my whole life (well, not everyday or anything) and have only ever tried maybe 2 variations off the basic. I love it just the way it is and only varied for a special duck confit, blue cheese, and truffle gravy poutine - and then of course a wonderful 4 cheese poutine I get sometimes. Other than that if I'm getting poutine I want the fries/curds/gravy version.

Another little piece of advice - it's often the more ramshackle places that do the best poutine. Chip trucks often do a great job and a lot of time little greasy spoons or diner type places make much better poutine that a more upscale restaurant. Good poutine should not be expensive and it should come in very generous portions. It's really a "dish of the people" type of thing.

As a PP said - the ingredients are basic so the quality of those ingredient are important. Fresh cut a well cooked fries. Fresh cheese curds, not slices or shavings, but curds they have a certain texture that helps make poutine what it's meant to be. And the gravy should be dark brown, thick, beefy, and hot enough to begin melting the cheese curds on contact. Poutine perfection!

lor74 --

Where is the best poutine in Quebec City to be found? Going to be there in 12 days!!

Merci!

Asking where the best poutine restaurant is in Québec City is like asking where is the best Cuban restaurant in Miami. Just walk into any of then and they should be very good because an average one wouldn't survive in a place full of experts.

love fast food, junk food, but poutine is horrible. I agree, find it in Canada, eat it once and leave it at that.

Some like it, some don't. Some is good some is not. Like any other food, you can have a good pizza or a cold, dry no taste one. Hard to judge on just one. Therefore I understand the asking for a good place to get one.

Archived