St Kitts

sailingsusie

We went to Palm Court Gardens for the day. The grounds are gorgeous, there's an infinity pool that overlooks the harbor where the cruise ships are docked, and there's a hot tub. It's $10 per person to get in, and their food and beverage prices are quite reasonable. The walk wasn't too bad, but the distance is just far enough away that you might want a cab if you're not as mobile.

When you get off the ship' date=' there are some shops at the port along with all kinds of people offering tours. We took a 2 1/2 hour lunch time tour with Welcome Tours by Beulah Mills for $12 pp. Well worth the money and a great way to see the island![/quote']

We took this earlier this year and was well worth the money. We saw a lot of the island and learned quite a bit about the history, too. Would go with Beulah again in a heartbeat

2009_0112021.jpg

When we were in St. Kitt's, the four of us took a taxi to two different beaches. This was the first one - South Friar's Bay; aside from a little bar, a picnic table and an outhouse, there was nothing there. But talk about beautiful ! And we had the beach almost to ourselves. I can't remember the name of the second beach we went to, but we were wishing we'd stayed at this one !

If you are interested in my review linked below I have some pictures. We took a tour we booked when we got to the port but if you are looking for one thing I recommend the area where the atlantic meets the caribbean & Caribelle Batik. It is a crafty shop that offers handmade treasures. Beautiful paintings that take days and multiple stages. They also offer clothes and accessories that are also gorgeous.

There's a lot to do close to the ship. Lots of shops right near the dock, along with a good little maritime museum. Independence Square is worth a visit, and one of my favorite shops, Glass Island Designz, was located on the north side of it, at least it was 18 months ago...they thought they might be moving. Wonderful, colorful, handmade jewelry, Christmas ornaments, plates, knick-knacks...if you like unusual glass items, it's worth a stop. I've also walked around Basseterre by myself during the day (I'm a woman) with no problems.

The rest of St. Kitts has some interesting stuff too...Brimstone Hill is fascinating, Caribelle Batik at Romney Manor has beautiful clothing and purses and the gardens are amazing, and the sugar train tour will take you to parts of the island you might not otherwise see.

2009_0112021.jpg

When we were in St. Kitt's, the four of us took a taxi to two different beaches. This was the first one - South Friar's Bay; aside from a little bar, a picnic table and an outhouse, there was nothing there. But talk about beautiful ! And we had the beach almost to ourselves. I can't remember the name of the second beach we went to, but we were wishing we'd stayed at this one !

Is this a safe area? When you say a "bar" what do you mean...

South Friars Beach is safe. The bar that is depicted in the pictures is Shipwreck. I would consider it very safe after being there often during our annual trips to St Kitts.

Looks wonderful,,thanks for the pictures, it is easier to make plans knowing what your going to. Is it easy to get a taxi back?

Sailingsusie .... If what you really want to do is walk around a bit on-your-own, you certainly will be able to and find interesting things to do ... per below post by BeagleOne.

Other things will require a taxi or an excursion.

LuLu

~~~~

There's a lot to do close to the ship. Lots of shops right near the dock, along with a good little maritime museum. Independence Square is worth a visit, and one of my favorite shops, Glass Island Designz, was located on the north side of it, at least it was 18 months ago...they thought they might be moving. Wonderful, colorful, handmade jewelry, Christmas ornaments, plates, knick-knacks...if you like unusual glass items, it's worth a stop. I've also walked around Basseterre by myself during the day (I'm a woman) with no problems.

When you get off the ship' date=' there are some shops at the port along with all kinds of people offering tours. We took a 2 1/2 hour lunch time tour with Welcome Tours by Beulah Mills for $12 pp. Well worth the money and a great way to see the island![/quote']

Is this a tour that needs to be booked online ahead of time or did you just find it at the pier??

Archived