How do I file a complaint about on-board medical care during recent cruise?

kentuckyluckyguy

But still, shouldn't Carnival be made aware that staff on the ship, whether employed by Carnival or a contracted company, be telling passengers to do things which violate company policy????? So you're damn straight that I wanted to let Carnival know because at some point some passenger will bring on board prescription medicine they've purchased in port because the "Dr told them they could get it cheaper there".

So she was trying to be nice by telling you how you could save some money on an expensive prescription and you snitched on her...

I am pretty sure it is completly legal and not against Carnival policy to bring back non-narcotic prescriptions. The sign you read may have been referencing narcotics or other controlled substances, but you would have been fine with a simple antibiotic.

1) It is always good to express a concern. Perhaps there is a record of misdiagnosis with this Dr. Numerous concerns could indicate that they need to replace the Dr.

2) It very well could be an honest mistake that any Dr could have made. But it is important to inform the powers that be to ensure this is not a pattern.

3) The OP never said they wanted anything, but rather informing the party that hires the Dr to ensure that this doesn't cause harm to others in the future.

Seems like this subject has been beat to death....time to move on....Kentuckyluckyguy: in post 47 you said you were finished posting, but then you post again at 72...everyone should let it go...

My advice to those who want a thread to end and for others to move on, is not to post a response. By doing so you are not only continuing the thread you want to stop, but also rise it to the top of the threads making it more enticing to others.

Had you, and the poster below you who said "best post of the day" had not posted, this thread would of been on page two, and on the way to sleeping in the pages that time forgot.

My advice to those who want a thread to end and for others to move on, is not to post a response. By doing so you are not only continuing the thread you want to stop, but also rise it to the top of the threads making it more enticing to others.

Had you, and the poster below you who said "best post of the day" had not posted, this thread would of been on page two, and on the way to sleeping in the pages that time forgot.

Thanks for posting exactly what I was thinking. :)

I wonder about people who want a thread dead yet keep reading it...ANd posting on it

1) It is always good to express a concern. Perhaps there is a record of misdiagnosis with this Dr. Numerous concerns could indicate that they need to replace the Dr.

2) It very well could be an honest mistake that any Dr could have made. But it is important to inform the powers that be to ensure this is not a pattern.

3) The OP never said they wanted anything, but rather informing the party that hires the Dr to ensure that this doesn't cause harm to others in the future.

well said :)

I am leaving this thread now. But I DID tell the Doctor on board the WHOLE story. Only after thinking about it in the last 24-48 hours did it make sense to me that perhaps the sunscreen spray I used got into my ears and made them "sticky" for the sand to adhere to....I did tell her that I had been out snorkeling and laying on the beach and that swimmer ear drops had not relieved the pressure and that it was worse in the right ear than the left, and that I could move my jaws a certain way and seem to hear/feel things in my ears...not sure what else I could've said.

Besides, the mis-diagnosis is mild to being told to buy prescription ear drops in the Bahamas which is clearly against the policy to be brought back on board. I suppose I was supposed to use them on shore before I walked back onto the ship in her mind?

Not saying anymore about it. And likely will just lurk and not post here again. I have seen other internet boards fall apart based on this very type of thing over the years and this one is starting to get worse all the time.

OP, you did everything exactly right. Most of us appreciate the heads up, that the ship Doctor might not have all the answers. Don't go away just because of a few idiots. Glad your feeling better.

Yes, notifying Carnival might accomplish something, it just might filter down to the Doctor who might do a better job of checking an earache next time. Which is all the OP wanted in the first place.

I would certainly contact Carnival and make them aware of the situation. There could be a pattern of misdiagnosis. I can't imagine that a Dr. could not see sand in your ear.

Again, you should google "ear fungus" and see how easy it would be to misdiagnosis this. A huge clump of sand and wax could look like fungus and would seem to be much more likely than a ton of sand in someone's ear.

OP, I'm glad your ear is better.

Now, let's say his letter gets the attention that it should get through the email that he sent. It sure would be nice if they left the doctor know the misdiagnosis & maybe the doctor can learn something also.

It could help someone else in the long run.

I just hope that Carnival does the right thing & share his information with the doctor.

OP, I'm glad your ear is better.

It sure would be nice if they left the doctor know the misdiagnosis & maybe the doctor can learn something also.

true!!

I can't imagine that this happens too often. It's honestly very strange to say the least.

He said earlier he was going to quit and then he came back. Nobody wants to hear it anymore. What do you not get?????

It's HIS thread & if he changes his mind he is ALLOWED to come back if he wants. Who are you to tell him what he can or can not do. Really? Get over yourself. You always spew such crap to everyone & it's because of replies like yours that people stop posting all together.

He didn't ask anyone for any advice, he asked for contact info. If him coming back into his thread bothers you so much stop coming into his thread.

If there was that much sand, you'd be very hard of hearing and sand particles would fall out on a pillowcase (unless it was lodged in earwax)

I recently went to a local ER for back pain. I knew it was a kidney infection because I'd had them twice before. After x rays the doc said no you don't have an infection, you have a touch of arthritis in your back! 2 days later my primary doc put me on double dose of antibiotics for the kidney infection.

So, things like this can happen anywhere, even an ER.

Just wanted to share my experience. This happened to me,, sand in the ear. Many years ago we were at a beach in St Lucia. Waves were rough. Went in-got tossed badly and thought I was going to drown (lesson learned) In any event - sand EVERYWHERE! back on the ship - stripped in the shower and you wouldn't believe the amount of sand that came off - even the shower at the beach didn't help.

Felt pressure in the ear, slight hearing loss - nothing big, nothing to ruin the cruise but obviously not right.

Sand did not come out of my ear on my pillow - but I can say I did THINK I felt gritty in my ear. Luckily I had no pain.

Upon returning home - I still felt irritated and not right. Went to the doctor, knowing exactly what happened at the beach I knew it was sand and so did the dr. Flushed the ear, a ton (exaggerating) of sand came out - no meds - 100% better.

So, if you know what you are dealing with - it is a simple cure. I fortunately knew what happened and was pretty sure what it was.

It's HIS thread & if he changes his mind he is ALLOWED to come back if he wants. Who are you to tell him what he can or can not do. Really? Get over yourself. You always spew such crap to everyone & it's because of replies like yours that people stop posting all together.

He didn't ask anyone for any advice, he asked for contact info. If him coming back into his thread bothers you so much stop coming into his thread.

Really???? did I didn't say he couldn't come back I am not in charge????? Everyone is allowed an opinion on here.

We have taken these precautions, contacted the special needs department, and will have the appropriate medical equipment on board. He is feeding tube dependent, as well has pulminary issues. We also have private trip insurance specifically in case he needs to be flown out or we have to debark in port and fly home. We live with the unknown every day. But, if he were to develop granulation tissue, we cannot take care of that ourselves and he needs a doc to burn it off. If he were have an asthma attack so severe that albuterol can't control it, I need a doc to take over. My concern is that if the doc can't tell fungus from sand, will they be able to control the situation for a severe asthma attack or stitch back a G tube that has torn the stoma.

If it was my child I would be taking a land based vacation very close to a medical facility and not risk my child's life on a cruise ship or anywhere else many hours or days from top medical care.

No doctor is ever 100% accurate. Ever wonder why they say a doctor is "practicing medicine" or a doctor is a "medical practitioner"?

Doctors "practice" medicine. Practice indicates they don't always get it right.

OK this made me chuckle.....I resemble that remark ;)

Being a nurse of thirty plus years, I know that mistakes are make. What I think is that the op should said is that they wanted the doctor to know an error was made in the dx. I do appreciate learning from my mistakes. Every patient is different and medicine is an art not a science but based on scientific evidence, we still learning. I have seen patients with similar symptoms but with different conclusions. I pray every day that I make the right choice and I believe that most physicians want the same. The only suggestion I have is to follow up when treatment doesn't work. A general practice physician is expected to be familiar with the basics and often choose treatment based on the usual presentations. Next time, this physician may know to also check for sand in the ear. God is in the details.

I didn't think of this.

and your proof? Carnival has big big pockets. Do you know how many lawsuits are filed against cruise lines each year.?

Goggle it. it is stunning. Totally stunning.

And I am moving on.

I think some bored frat boys in a retirement home are having fun with us all......

Now, I will MOVE ON as some one so eloquently told me to do earlier in the thread. Thanks for those of you who gave me info I needed and to those who were concerned.

I am leaving this thread now. But I DID tell the Doctor on board the WHOLE story.

Not saying anymore about it. And likely will just lurk and not post here again. I have seen other internet boards fall apart based on this very type of thing over the years and this one is starting to get worse all the time.

It wasn't just the mis-diagnosis which did annoy me...it was also the fact that she (the ship doctor) told me I could probably find the exact same prescription ear drops that she said were $90 for much cheaper in Freeport the next day when we docked. Then when boarding the ship on the gangway the Carnival sign inside the ship explicitly includes among the items prohibited "prescription medications purchased while in port".

So I guess she was telling me to put the drops in my ear while in Freeport and throw away the bottle? Surely she wasn't telling me to try to bring them on board which is in violation of Carnival policy?

Either way, I didn't get the drops and they wouldn't have done any good because there was not a fungus growing in my ear. But, if I had bought the drops and tried to bring them on-board and had gotten caught, all I would have been doing is what the "ship doctor told me I could do".

Granted, it's not as easy to find a pharmacy in Freeport because of the remoteness of the port as it is in places like Cozumel or Playa del Carman or Grand Cayman. But still, shouldn't Carnival be made aware that staff on the ship, whether employed by Carnival or a contracted company, be telling passengers to do things which violate company policy????? So you're damn straight that I wanted to let Carnival know because at some point some passenger will bring on board prescription medicine they've purchased in port because the "Dr told them they could get it cheaper there".

If that person is you, and they hassle you and at the very worst case confiscate your medicine, aren't you gonna be a little bit pissed? If nothing else, I've pointed out something that is happening that a lot of you didn't even know about.

I am not commenting on the validity of your issue but....

You should take your own advice.;)

and your proof? Carnival has big big pockets. Do you know how many lawsuits are filed against cruise lines each year.?

And I am moving on.

I think some bored frat boys in a retirement home are having fun with us all......

OMG, You're asking someone to prove what they thought or didn't think? Seriously? :eek:

30.gif

BTW, I didn't think it either. Just read post #1

And I am moving on.

Really??????

Archived