How do I file a complaint about on-board medical care during recent cruise?

kentuckyluckyguy

This is another case of someone asking a simple question, and then getting raked across the carpet. The OP said NOTHING about wanting anything....he simple wants to make Carnival aware of the situation.

Getting to be that people can't post a legit question or comment without the snakes coming out of the woodwork with fangs exposed.

I can sympathize with the OP, however, was there no other way to find out a number or email for Carnival other than to come to these boards?

Agree.

It's not at all unusual for doctors to have different opinions and offer different treatments whether on land or at sea. Doctors do not have a crystal ball, many times treatment can be trial and error. Not unheard of for a physician to say "Let's give X a try". If it X does not work, then something else will be tried.

What do you want Carnival to do?

THIS is why they call it "practicing" medicine! :eek:

I can sympathize with the OP, however, was there no other way to find out a number or email for Carnival other than to come to these boards?

Oh, come now...there have been tens of thousands of posts on these boards where someone has asked for info that can be had elsewhere.

The OP didn't come here looking for sympathy (or empathy)....he came here to ask a question. He got his answer.....plus some major attitude.

How typical.

Oh, come now...there have been tens of thousands of posts on these boards where someone has asked for info that can be had elsewhere.

The OP didn't come here looking for sympathy (or empathy)....he came here to ask a question. He got his answer.....plus some major attitude.

How typical.

Well, it seems to me he was looking for validation of his complaint as he went into detail of what happened and then said this:

All I am wanting to do is inform Carnival of the issue but I can't seem to find any kind of address or place to send any sort of concerns.

It's fine that he wants to let Carnival know, but as we all know these boards, if you put it out there, people will comment good or bad. If you truly don't want the comments, then just ask the question.

i'm so sorry the OP had a bad experience with the medical care on the shiip......in 2011.....my hubby & me were on the fascination....when my husband fainted from low blood pressure.....we were on the lido deck eating breakfast & i was so shocked when the nurse was at his side a few mins after i asked for help.....he was taken down to the medical center....the doctor that was on duty was right there & took very good care of him.....I guess all ships or doctors are not always equal.;)

Whiners like you...or those seeking to sue Carnival are going to hurt the truly sick people who travel..and can only travel because of Medical help onboard.

I have rheumatoid Arthritis. The last cruise I took was the FIRST One in Years where I did not visit the Medical Clinic.

I have been treated for an infected boil, pain and fatigue from R.A. Violenent sea sickness, Norvo, toe infection, and an eye infection.

( my medication suppress my immune system..so at the beginning of anything..I see a doctor. or nurse.

All of those times..and some of the Doctors were women..some men..THE CARE WAS EXCELLENT. AND THE COST....VERY REASONABLE.

IF THAT DOCTOR HAD PUT ONE FINGER IN YOUR EAR...I bet dollars to donuts...you would already have a law suit on him.

you might cost him his job. but you would be laughed out of any court room.

I am angry. Everyone in the USA seems to think they can hit the law suit lotto and darn the people hurt by it.

disgusting.

i, for one, was glad to see your post and appreciate it. Glad you were able to get the information over to carnival. Sorry others feel the need to berate you over the situation.

I learned three things.

The docs on the ship dont appear to have much attn to detail.

Spray sunscreen can potentially lead to sand build up in the ear.

You cannot bring foreign scripts onboard.

Much better than a good portion of other posts i read here.

i totally disagree. I am screaming. I have seen more doctors on carnival ships, i would bet, than all of the posters total.

Every doctor....on carnival or princess.....has been professional. Making sure i had call backs. Checking with me to the last day of the cruise. Giving me copies of what medical treatment i had and what medicines. And in one...telling me to see my doctor as soon as i could..that it was urgent.

This is a total smear.

Not trying to make light of the situation,

I will, maybe the doctor should have put the leeches near the ears?

My, DW works at a clinic, they use something like this.

http://www.rehabmart.com/product/otoclear-ear-irrigation-system-and-tips-31553.html

Sometimes I think it will just blow whatever is stopping up out of the other ear.

:D

No offense but it happens all the time with doc on ships and on land. My daughters 14 year old friend went to the doc last week and they told her she had a sinus infection. Turns out she has lukemia not a sinus infection.

Oh. What a distortion.,

One week she had sinus..the next week leukemia? But then how did they find out she had leukemia ? Did they do blood tests? Did they order a catscan/ Acutally just a blood test reveals leukemia. And you have to wait on them

Obviously the doctor was doing the right things....drawing blood

Say the child walked in. Looked pale. had the characteristic lumps. and with leukemia attacking her system..her immune system....she may have had a cold. She may have had bruises and such.

So he may have suspected a blood disorder..AND you expected him/her with no blood work..no tests to diagnose Lukemia?

Did he say something like well, she may have sinus and I will call you when the tests come in? AND I have been there. When a doctor even suspects a blood disease on the order of that..YOU ARE SENT TO A HEMOTOLOGIST FASTER THAN YOU CAN WRITE THE NUMBER DOWN. AND THEY CALL FROM THE PRIMARY CARE'S OFFICE AND MAKE THE APPOINTMENT. AND THEY SEE YOU THE NEXT DAY. BEEN THERE. DONE THAT. WAS NOT LUEKEMIA. THANK GOD.

the diagnosis of leukemia and a firm diagnois in a week......fantastic doctor. and he waited until he knew. It could have any number of anemias. Or bones not making Red cells. sickle cell. Famial Mediterrean Fever

Whiners like you...or those seeking to sue Carnival are going to hurt the truly sick people who travel..and can only travel because of Medical help onboard.

I have rheumatoid Arthritis. The last cruise I took was the FIRST One in Years where I did not visit the Medical Clinic.

I have been treated for an infected boil, pain and fatigue from R.A. Violenent sea sickness, Norvo, toe infection, and an eye infection.

( my medication suppress my immune system..so at the beginning of anything..I see a doctor. or nurse.

All of those times..and some of the Doctors were women..some men..THE CARE WAS EXCELLENT. AND THE COST....VERY REASONABLE.

IF THAT DOCTOR HAD PUT ONE FINGER IN YOUR EAR...I bet dollars to donuts...you would already have a law suit on him.

I am angry. Everyone in the USA seems to think they can hit the law suit lotto and darn the people hurt by it.

disgusting.

The OP never whined...just related THEIR experience. The only person to mention lawsuit was you.

It's presumpsuous to assume that everyone is as passive as you apparently are. You can bet your sweet bippy that, if a doctor – ashore or at sea – made a mistake like this with me or my family, someone would hear about it.

If the situation had been far worse, and if the mistake had resulted in someone dying, I doubt people would be saying, "move on" and "doctors make mistakes, get over it."

The OP is not looking for absolution or compensation, he is merely wanting to make the problem known....there is NOTHING wrong with that.

Yes there is! You are expecting Carnival to do some thing or you would not bring the subject up. Should the doctor be fined, fired or left at the first port?

Your words "If the situation had been far worse, and if the mistake had resulted in someone dying, I doubt people would be saying, "move on" and "doctors make mistakes, get over it." But the situation was minor and no one died so I do say "move on" and "doctors make mistakes, get over it." Thanks for proving my point.

I want to say that in 2011, my husband and I were on a Carnival cruise in the Caribbean. My husband got very ill and on the 2nd day of the cruise we went to see the doctor. While we thought he had bronchitis or at worst a pneumonia, the nurse and doctor on board knew immediately what was wrong. At first they would only say that he was VERY ill and needed to be in a hospital and we would need to leave the ship. Since we were at sea, the captain was notified and he came to the infirmary and met with us. It was determined we would head for the nearest island and be evacuated that pm. After a couple of hours, the doctor finally told us that she "suspected" a pulmonary embolism and that he could very easily pass away. They went above and beyond what would be expected of any doctor. I won't go into details, but she also provided a treatment that could be considered against medical ethics, since she could not verify her diagnosis without the proper equipment. She explained her suspicions and asked if we would like to for her to go ahead with the treatment or wait for verification at the hospital. We said go ahead. It saved his life. If she was not willing to go out on that limb, my husband would be dead, I believe. The only thing she was wrong about was he not only had a pulmonary embolism but had a bilateral massive pulmonary embolism. I will defend the doctors on board to the end, however, with all doctors, everywhere, they are human and can make mistakes and will try a conservative approach first. The same thing could and has happened on land.

I am far from a Carnival cheerleader. I have cruised on 6 cruiselines and said I would never go on a Carnival cruise til h@ll froze over because of all the bad things I had heard about them, well a few years ago it got VERY cold underground and I caved in and booked a Carnival cruise, because it was short notice and nothing else available at a reasonable cost. I enjoyed it very much and will continue to sail with them.

Not trying to make light of the situation, but have you read the cruise contract? Everyone should. And I imagine they all have similar language.

http://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/ticket-contract.aspx

(a) The Guest warrants that he and those traveling with him are physically fit to travel at the time of embarkation and is required to notify Carnival in writing at the time of booking the cruise of any physical disability or medical condition which may require special assistance during the voyage. Failure to do so will release Carnival from any liability for loss, damages or other compensation arising from or related in any way to such disability or condition. Upon booking the cruise, guests who have special needs are required to contact Carnival's Special Needs Desk (305-599-2600 ext. 70025) to discuss the details of their special needs. Carnival reserves the right to require that any Guest, who is not self-sufficient, travel with a companion who shall take responsibility for any assistance needed during the voyage and in case of emergency.

We have taken these precautions, contacted the special needs department, and will have the appropriate medical equipment on board. He is feeding tube dependent, as well has pulminary issues. We also have private trip insurance specifically in case he needs to be flown out or we have to debark in port and fly home. We live with the unknown every day. But, if he were to develop granulation tissue, we cannot take care of that ourselves and he needs a doc to burn it off. If he were have an asthma attack so severe that albuterol can't control it, I need a doc to take over. My concern is that if the doc can't tell fungus from sand, will they be able to control the situation for a severe asthma attack or stitch back a G tube that has torn the stoma.

We cruised on the Elation with my sister and her family and our adult children. DH at the hotel played in the pool with my sisters kids and two days later, he came down with a horrible ear ache. We went to the infirmary and the doctor looked in his ear and stepped back with a grimace look on his face. DH had an inner and outer ear infection and put him on antibiotics. DH got the best of care and was feeling much better two days later. He was disappointed that he couldn't drink while taking the meds. I wouldn't hesitate to see the ships doctor, I've had worse on land.

I think the OP should just chalk it up as an experience, it's doubtful Carnival will do anything about it.

the part that I find odd is that if you didn't know you had sand in your ear when the Dr looked in he probably did not think he was looking at sand either.

If you had said I was buried in sand by my kids he may have considered that you could have sand in your ear?

I once had a beanbag pellet in my ear from work. The Dr looked in my ear and said I cannot tell what is in your ear but it is weird, I then remembered I had stuck my hand down past the shoulder in a barrel of beads at work. When I mentioned this he wanted to also prank his associate so he called him in to take a look and they both had a good laugh!

Cruise ship Docs probably are used to seeing certain problems so when a problem comes in they just try to match it up with a diagnosis they made before.

We have taken these precautions, contacted the special needs department, and will have the appropriate medical equipment on board. He is feeding tube dependent, as well has pulminary issues. We also have private trip insurance specifically in case he needs to be flown out or we have to debark in port and fly home. We live with the unknown every day. But, if he were to develop granulation tissue, we cannot take care of that ourselves and he needs a doc to burn it off. If he were have an asthma attack so severe that albuterol can't control it, I need a doc to take over. My concern is that if the doc can't tell fungus from sand, will they be able to control the situation for a severe asthma attack or stitch back a G tube that has torn the stoma.

Frankly, you are taking a very large risk. Good luck to you.

I want to say that in 2011, my husband and I were on a Carnival cruise in the Caribbean. My husband got very ill and on the 2nd day of the cruise we went to see the doctor. While we thought he had bronchitis or at worst a pneumonia, the nurse and doctor on board knew immediately what was wrong. At first they would only say that he was VERY ill and needed to be in a hospital and we would need to leave the ship. Since we were at sea, the captain was notified and he came to the infirmary and met with us. It was determined we would head for the nearest island and be evacuated that pm. After a couple of hours, the doctor finally told us that she "suspected" a pulmonary embolism and that he could very easily pass away. They went above and beyond what would be expected of any doctor. I won't go into details, but she also provided a treatment that could be considered against medical ethics, since she could not verify her diagnosis without the proper equipment. She explained her suspicions and asked if we would like to for her to go ahead with the treatment or wait for verification at the hospital. We said go ahead. It saved his life. If she was not willing to go out on that limb, my husband would be dead, I believe. The only thing she was wrong about was he not only had a pulmonary embolism but had a bilateral massive pulmonary embolism. I will defend the doctors on board to the end, however, with all doctors, everywhere, they are human and can make mistakes and will try a conservative approach first. The same thing could and has happened on land.

I am far from a Carnival cheerleader. I have cruised on 6 cruiselines and said I would never go on a Carnival cruise til h@ll froze over because of all the bad things I had heard about them, well a few years ago it got VERY cold underground and I caved in and booked a Carnival cruise, because it was short notice and nothing else available at a reasonable cost. I enjoyed it very much and will continue to sail with them.

While this is a great story, I'm glad your husband faired well, if he truly had that large of an embolism he truly is lucky to be alive... I'm wondering why the doctor could not confirm her diagnosis on board? My understanding is they have x-ray equipment on board, I'm sure she used that to her advantage, obviously a CT Scan will ultimately make a definitive diagnosis the x-ray would confirm her suspicions..

Also something to keep in mind regarding healthcare options on a ship it's not just a MD on staff. Most cruise lines also utilize RN's as well as PA's and now many are adding Paramedics as they've come to realize the wealth of experience and care a well-trained paramedic can bring.

While this is a great story, I'm glad your husband faired well, if he truly had that large of an embolism he truly is lucky to be alive... I'm wondering why the doctor could not confirm her diagnosis on board? My understanding is they have x-ray equipment on board, I'm sure she used that to her advantage, obviously a CT Scan will ultimately make a definitive diagnosis the x-ray would confirm her suspicions..

A dx. still couldn't be dependant on an x ray. It might show something was there, but not what was there. Even if it showed something there, the ship personnel have no previous x ray to compare it to. Perhaps what they might see was not a new thing.

It's not just cruise ship doctors that really suck sometimes. I've got lots of land-doctor stories that are worse than yours. (unfortunately)

I'm sorry this happened to you. You can write to CCL to make them aware but it really will have no impact. This is something they have no control over. Just because someone is licensed to do somethign, this does not ensure how well they will do it.

It's presumpsuous to assume that everyone is as passive as you apparently are. You can bet your sweet bippy that, if a doctor – ashore or at sea – made a mistake like this with me or my family, someone would hear about it.

If the situation had been far worse, and if the mistake had resulted in someone dying, I doubt people would be saying, "move on" and "doctors make mistakes, get over it."

The OP is not looking for absolution or compensation, he is merely wanting to make the problem known....there is NOTHING wrong with that.

While I agree that people are jumping on the Op for no reason, I have to disagree with you for the reasons I stated in the above quote.

Misdiagnosis is not uncommon anywhere, land or sea and what you do on land if you get pissed at a doctor is to find a new one.

You move on.

Obviously if the misdiagnosis leads to injury or death, that's a whole different balll game but that isn't the case here.

Yes, by all means the OP can write to CCL about this but it's going to accomplish nothing.

Well, it seems to me he was looking for validation of his complaint as he went into detail of what happened and then said this:

All I am wanting to do is inform Carnival of the issue but I can't seem to find any kind of address or place to send any sort of concerns.

It's fine that he wants to let Carnival know, but as we all know these boards, if you put it out there, people will comment good or bad. If you truly don't want the comments, then just ask the question.

People should not get attacked for asking ANY question as that is exactly what these boards are for.

disgusting.

WTH??

Who said anything about suing?? The OP wasn't whining.

It kills me how people get jumped on all over here.

UNbelievable

It wasn't just the mis-diagnosis which did annoy me...it was also the fact that she (the ship doctor) told me I could probably find the exact same prescription ear drops that she said were $90 for much cheaper in Freeport the next day when we docked. Then when boarding the ship on the gangway the Carnival sign inside the ship explicitly includes among the items prohibited "prescription medications purchased while in port".

So I guess she was telling me to put the drops in my ear while in Freeport and throw away the bottle? Surely she wasn't telling me to try to bring them on board which is in violation of Carnival policy?

Either way, I didn't get the drops and they wouldn't have done any good because there was not a fungus growing in my ear. But, if I had bought the drops and tried to bring them on-board and had gotten caught, all I would have been doing is what the "ship doctor told me I could do".

Granted, it's not as easy to find a pharmacy in Freeport because of the remoteness of the port as it is in places like Cozumel or Playa del Carman or Grand Cayman. But still, shouldn't Carnival be made aware that staff on the ship, whether employed by Carnival or a contracted company, be telling passengers to do things which violate company policy????? So you're damn straight that I wanted to let Carnival know because at some point some passenger will bring on board prescription medicine they've purchased in port because the "Dr told them they could get it cheaper there".

If that person is you, and they hassle you and at the very worst case confiscate your medicine, aren't you gonna be a little bit pissed? If nothing else, I've pointed out something that is happening that a lot of you didn't even know about.

You are correct, they did do x-rays and blood tests that made her feel her suspicions were correct, however, the only way to truly confirm the diagnosis is with a CT scan which was performed at the hospital in Martinique more than 12 hours after our arrival. The care on the ship was much better than we received in Martinique.

It wasn't just the mis-diagnosis which did annoy me...it was also the fact that she (the ship doctor) told me I could probably find the exact same prescription ear drops that she said were $90 for much cheaper in Freeport the next day when we docked. Then when boarding the ship on the gangway the Carnival sign inside the ship explicitly includes among the items prohibited "prescription medications purchased while in port".

Maybe it is a new policy and the doctor wasn't aware. I have never, in all my years of cruising, seen a sign like that. I do believe you, but I think this policy must be new...and I find it totally bizarre and insane. Why the heck should they stop you from purchasing medicines ANYWHERE. If it's a prescription/legal drug, this seems totally off and in no way right.

I would be more pissed about that than anything else...

Archived