Regal Princess maiden voyage rescheduled?

seacruise9

Hi,

I have been booked on the seven-day maiden voyage of the Regal Princess that was scheduled for June 2 to 9, 2014 (Venice to Barcelona) for several months. Today, I received a booking confirmation that my cruise on the Regal Princess is now from May 20 to 27, 2014 (Venice to Athens). Of course, the itinerary is totally different. The Princess website still indicates the June 2, 2014 maiden voyage. Does anyone know what is going on? Has the maiden voyage been rescheduled?

Thanks,

Chuck

Hi,

I have been booked on the seven-day maiden voyage of the Regal Princess that was scheduled for June 2 to 9, 2014 (Venice to Barcelona) for several months. Today, I received a booking confirmation that my cruise on the Regal Princess is now from May 20 to 27, 2014 (Venice to Athens). Of course, the itinerary is totally different. The Princess website still indicates the June 2, 2014 maiden voyage. Does anyone know what is going on? Has the maiden voyage been rescheduled?

Thanks,

Chuck

What does the new itinerary look like?

Hi,

Yes, this is very strange. My new booking confirmation for the May 20, 2014 Regal Princess cruise indicates the following itinerary:

May 20: Venice

May 21: At Sea

May 22: Corfu

May 23: At Sea

May 24: Istanbul (overnight)

May 25: Istanbul

May 26: Mykonos

May 27: Athens

I booked the June 2 sailing on the Princess website back in May. This booking still appears in my account. I have not made any changes to this booking since I originally made it. I called Princess and they said that there have been problems with "phantom bookings" for Captains Circle members. They said that the Regal Princess maiden voyage is still scheduled for June 2, 2014. I cancelled the new May 20 cruise.

Why would a booking be created for a cruise that does not exist on the Princess website? Where did this itinerary come from? I think this is very strange.

Chuck

Hi,

Yes, this is very strange. My new booking confirmation for the May 20, 2014 Regal Princess cruise indicates the following itinerary:

May 20: Venice

May 21: At Sea

May 22: Corfu

May 23: At Sea

May 24: Istanbul (overnight)

May 25: Istanbul

May 26: Mykonos

May 27: Athens

I booked the June 2 sailing on the Princess website back in May. This booking still appears in my account. I have not made any changes to this booking since I originally made it. I called Princess and they said that there have been problems with "phantom bookings" for Captains Circle members. They said that the Regal Princess maiden voyage is still scheduled for June 2, 2014. I cancelled the new May 20 cruise.

Why would a booking be created for a cruise that does not exist on the Princess website? Where did this itinerary come from? I think this is very strange.

Chuck

It is very strange. Perhaps some kind of computer glitch. I was just looking at your signature and the number of different ships you have cruised. I wish I was sailing on one of your upcoming cruises. I would love to hear your thoughts on all those ships.:D

It is very strange. Perhaps some kind of computer glitch. I was just looking at your signature and the number of different ships you have cruised. I wish I was sailing on one of your upcoming cruises. I would love to hear your thoughts on all those ships.:D

Hi,

Thanks, I like trying different cruise lines and ships. Also, I love discussing cruises. :)

Chuck

no no no... why are you guys starting this rumours?? the june 2 is still on shcd, we just ,called princess and this is confirmed, she said the person talking about the phantom bookings is making up stories and putting on here..

it better be on sced or they will be paying for our airlines fees as well as other things...:D

Hi,

I received an e-mail from Princess this morning that the new maiden voyage for the Regal Princess departs from Venice on May 20, 2014 with the itinerary indicated above. The ship is still doing the June 2 cruise, but it will no longer be the maiden voyage.

Of course, when I call Princess last night, the person I spoke with knew nothing about this.

Chuck

I also received an email from Princess with the new booking of May 20, 2014. When I called Princess, I was put on hold for quite a while before they came back with the answer: Everyone booked on June 2nd cruise was given the same category and cabin as the original booking on the new date.

However, my new booking had not transferred the cruise deposit so another phone call answered by someone who asked me where I got the information from. Princess!! On hold even longer then confirmation. Seems to me that emails were sent out before Princess was ready to handle the enquiries.

I also received an email from Princess with the new booking of May 20, 2014. When I called Princess, I was put on hold for quite a while before they came back with the answer: Everyone booked on June 2nd cruise was given the same category and cabin as the original booking on the new date.

However, my new booking had not transferred the cruise deposit so another phone call answered by someone who asked me where I got the information from. Princess!! On hold even longer then confirmation. Seems to me that emails were sent out before Princess was ready to handle the enquiries.

So, what happens between 27 May and June 2. Christening, tours and 2 day cruises?

It would seem so...

As listed, 5/27-6/2 is only 6 nights - do you think the price will reflect this?

We also got the e-mail saying that Princess is doing us a favor and converting us to the 5/20 sailing - unless we ignore it and then it reverts to 6/2.

This really stinks - people have bought airline tickets (lots of $ to change the flights). The itinerary is completely different. My husband refuses to get off the ship in Istanbul, so there would go two days of the cruise. What if people bought nonrefundable excursions or hotels before/after the cruise?

If Princess announces a maiden voyage date, then that should be the date. Don't they realize that people lay out lots of other money (airfare, hotels, requests for time off from work...)?

Initially, we were very excited about this cruise - our first maiden voyage! Now, with the changes, we are thinking about cancelling altogether. Unfortunately, we're stuck with almost $1500 each for the airfare - nonrefundable.

Shame on Princess for doing this.

As listed, 5/27-6/2 is only 6 nights - do you think the price will reflect this?

We also got the e-mail saying that Princess is doing us a favor and converting us to the 5/20 sailing - unless we ignore it and then it reverts to 6/2.

This really stinks - people have bought airline tickets (lots of $ to change the flights). The itinerary is completely different. My husband refuses to get off the ship in Istanbul, so there would go two days of the cruise. What if people bought nonrefundable excursions or hotels before/after the cruise?

If Princess announces a maiden voyage date, then that should be the date. Don't they realize that people lay out lots of other money (airfare, hotels, requests for time off from work...)?

Initially, we were very excited about this cruise - our first maiden voyage! Now, with the changes, we are thinking about cancelling altogether. Unfortunately, we're stuck with almost $1500 each for the airfare - nonrefundable.

Shame on Princess for doing this.

Well, to take the devil's advocate position, if Fincantieri says that the ship will be completed ahead of schedule (and Princess would not have known of this when the initial itineraries were created), what is Princess to do? They have to take possession of the ship when it is complete. Fincantieri would want the completed ship out of their yard...

Not a good situation. If you have non-refundable airfare and all, call Princess and speak with Customer Relations... maybe they can do something for you.

Hi,

Fortunately, I had not purchased my air tickets for the June 2 cruise. I think this cruise is overpriced considering that it is no longer the maiden voyage. Because I was on the maiden voyage of the Royal Princess, I thought it would be fun to be on the maiden voyage of the Regal Princess. However, the new maiden voyage does not work with my schedule. I will probably cancel my cruise on the Regal Princess and switch to a seven-day cruise on the Celebrity Silhouette (much better price).

Chuck

Maiden voyages seem to move dates about a third of the time; this dilemma now created may be one reason to book air/hotel late, book refundable air/hotel or book through the cruiseline for special situations such as a maiden voyage, particularly when the intent of the trip is more for the maiden aspect than the itinerary or date.

Best of luck to all of those who now have new decisions to make. It will be interesting to see if Princess helps with change fees or not.

Oct. 17, 2013, (10:40 a.m. EDT) -- Princess Cruises' newest ship, Regal Princess, will debut next year 13 days earlier than its original launch date of June 2, 2014. The line has added two new week-long Mediterranean sailings to the ship's maiden schedule.

The inaugural cruise now departs May 20 and will sail from Venice to Athens, with a second sailing departing May 27, returning the ship to Venice.

Passengers booked on Regal's previously announced maiden voyage have been automatically booked on to the May 20 sailing. They have until November 15 to decide if they want to take the new cruise instead of, or in addition to their existing reservation.

Regal Princess is a sister to ship to Royal Princess, which debuted this year.

--by Dori Saltzman, News Editor

We were booked on the 17 day madien voyage and got the email and a phone call about the earlier sailing date. We had not yet booked our Hotel and have changeable airfare, so it has been that big of a deal for us. The new madien will be 20 days with the different ports ending in Barcelona. Of course the option is still available to keep the original dates. Have about a month to decide which option will work better for us.

Archived