Customs/Passport Control at Port?

mathan416

Hey Everyone - I'm curious - how is Passport Control handled for us at ports like at Princess Cays (Eleuthera) and Grand Turk? Done on the ship as we exit, or when we get on land?

Or because passport details have been provided earlier, it's all approved ahead of time?

Never had anyone ask for or look at our passports in the Caribbean while going ashore.

In Princess Cays if you want to leave the secure Princess area, you will need

to have a government issued ID (Drivers license) when comeing back into the Princess area. We just stay in the Princess area.

Hey Everyone - I'm curious - how is Passport Control handled for us at ports like at Princess Cays (Eleuthera) and Grand Turk? Done on the ship as we exit, or when we get on land?

Or because passport details have been provided earlier, it's all approved ahead of time?

I am not aware of any non-US port in the western hemisphere where you go through any sort of customs/passport control station. The ship has already collected the required information that may be required at your enroute stops. Ship's officials work with local authorities to "clear" the ship and passengers upon arrival.

If you have a dream of getting your passport stamped at each port-o-call . . . it isn't going to happen.

Enjoy!

If you have a dream of getting your passport stamped at each port-o-call . . . it isn't going to happen.

Enjoy!

*whines* Ahhhhhhh! I'll never have proof except in pictures. HAHAHAHA :)

Okay, okay, I need a wambulance. :P

... If you have a dream of getting your passport stamped at each port-o-call . . . it isn't going to happen.

Enjoy!

For my previous passport I never got any stamps from any furrin countries. In my present passport I've gotten one entry stamp, in San Francisco of all places. We did have to show our passports, or some form of gov't ID, upon arriving at Victoria BC, on our way back from Alaska last year.

I have not needed to produce a passport on all Caribbean cruises. The various islands are most anxious to allow the pax as it means money. The cruise ships are the biggest money producer for a lot of these islands and they depend on it.

All you need to leave and reboard the ship at port stops is your seapass and a picture ID. Although I have seldom have had to produce a picture ID. When the ship security personnel swipe your seapass, they see your picture on their display.

I am not aware of any non-US port in the western hemisphere where you go through any sort of customs/passport control station.
I'm guessing you and Upcountry Travelers are thinking of Caribbean cruises only. On cruises involving some South American countries (also in the Western hemisphere) all passports are held by the ship as the immigration officials will be going through them. We definately went through customs inspection entering Chile when we disembarked there. When at the Santiago airport we were required to produce the entry card that the immigration official put with our passports when the ship first entered Chile. Our passpots also had entry and exit stamps from Argentina. You also won't be allowed to even board any ship with a stop in Brazil without having a valid visa for Brazil. They have very strict passport control when entering, even at ports.

Just walk off the ship with your cruise card, leave your passport in your safe. However, if you wish to leave the cruise ship area at either port bring along a gov't issued photo ID.

FYI, at St. Thomas and other U.S. controlled ports of call you should carry a gov't issued photo ID to get back on the ship. Port security will ask for it. If you don't have your ID with you then port security has to go through a verification step with the ship.

We always take our passports, copies of our med ins and a credit card every single time we go on land. We take mostly private tours and would require these if we had a medical emergency or missed the ship. You just never know - better to be safe than sorry.

Archived