Tips & gifts

Surbie

I agree. It is totally different than going to a an island where they can't get some things (still think cash is best there also, maybe with some extra treats). On a ship they can get anything they need or want. Dead presidents is the best solution.

What about Hamilton and Franklin?

I'm not sure about other cruise lines, but DCL cast members do not have access to the "tons of food" that passengers do. Their galley is quite different from the MDR.

That sounds bad. Are you saying they ration (read: limit) the crew members' food or something? Are their meals even any good? I read somewhere on here that if a crew member eats any passenger food without authorization, then they'll be terminated. (This doesn't apply to staff and officers, who are allowed to eat in passenger areas.) If that's the case, I'd feel bad for the waiters and busboys who are forced to carry and dispose of mounds of food that passengers waste.

Great screen name, by the way. ;)

That sounds bad. Are you saying they ration (read: limit) the crew members' food or something? Are their meals even any good? I read somewhere on here that if a crew member eats any passenger food without authorization, then they'll be terminated. (This doesn't apply to staff and officers, who are allowed to eat in passenger areas.) If that's the case, I'd feel bad for the waiters and busboys who are forced to carry and dispose of mounds of food that passengers waste.

Understand the food on Carnival is good but dont get the quality or quantity we get.

The crew menu is different because their preferences are different. Think more beans and rice than pasta.

Being dependent on tips, of course, they will accept any item with gratitude.

I remember when I had employers offer a turkey as a Christmas bonus, said thank you very much and needed to find someone quick to offload the frozen turkey.

I was told the crew galleys were not that good in quality, but she admitted that they also had to eat at odd times and/or very quickly. Maybe that's why she hated the food. She always knew the best places in each port for "home cooking," that is, where the locals went. She said that while most crew members were rushing to restock up on necessities, she would eat locally whenever she could for something different.

PS Thanks RE screen name! It really refers to my family. I had never been to the ocean until my son was 4. He fell in love with everything about it. My husband grew up on the water (he comes from a long line of sailors). I guess being stuck on the plains makes it that much sweeter to visit the shore!

we do extra cash on top of the regular tips but also we bring individual maple syrup bottles from Canada and I make homemade thank you cards to go with the extra cash and the small token of maple syrup .... ... The last time we brought it we were told it was like liquid gold as they really like the Canadian Maple Syrup .... we even had staff come up and ask us if we had any extra's as they had heard about it from the staff that helped us .... so we will continue to do the extra cash and the little Canadian Maple Syrup as a token of thanks from us :-)

I remember when I had employers offer a turkey as a Christmas bonus, said thank you very much and needed to find someone quick to offload the frozen turkey.

Ha ha! I think we worked at the same radio station.

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Forums mobile app

I am sure there are some gifts that some crew members would appreciate some of the time, but cash is always king. Of course the crew members are going to act happy and excited when given gifts. It's not like they can say 'This gift sucks' and then throw it on the floor.

I am always 100% polite and respectful to the crew, but they are not my friends. I don't go around giving them little presents. If they do a good job, I give them extra cash, like I would anyone in the service industry.

I am sure there are some gifts that some crew members would appreciate some of the time, but cash is always king. Of course the crew members are going to act happy and excited when given gifts. It's not

like they can say 'This gift sucks' and then throw it on the floor.

I am always 100% polite and respectful to the crew, but they are not my friends. I don't go around giving them little presents. If they do a good job, I give them extra cash, like I would anyone in the service industry.

Which is why my niece and nephew get a card and $5 for birthdays..

I am sure there are some gifts that some crew members would appreciate some of the time, but cash is always king. Of course the crew members are going to act happy and excited when given gifts. It's not like they can say 'This gift sucks' and then throw it on the floor.

I agree.

I agree. They will always act appreciative.

When someone says they give them candy my first thought is they work on a cruise ship with tons of food including treats. People are free to do what they want but I personally find it a little condescending to give a grown adult candy as any kind of reward. They aren't children. They want money just like everyone else. On our last cruise we gave our head waiter an extra $20. I'm sure he can buy something he would like with that vs me purchasing something he won't like or can't use. I feel like with people that feel the need to give trinkets, it is more about the giver than the crew. It makes them feel good to give it even if the crew member might throw it away after they leave. Just my opinion.

EXACTLY! The giver of the "gift/trinket/etc" is the only one genuinely excited about it. Unless it's CASH.

No you all have it wrong. I am going to walk around with those party size bags of m&ms. And when ever somebody does somthing nice for me I will say open your hand and pour some in,

I can just see the joy in the baggage handlers face when I ask him plain or peanut and the tip him appropriately. And what about the room service guy would giving him 1 snickers bar be enough or should I act like a big shot and give him 2 candy bars.

Enough of the silliness treats are for dogs and little children. Cash is king in every language.

Archived