Bon Voyage Experience (BVE) for 2014

Smokeyham

I just booked one for the Royal in October. They dont seem to be posting dates for 2014 BVEs on their website, so i took the logical route.

I went to "Book a cruise" on the Princess website to see what dates ships were leaving from NYC, and based my BVE options on this. I would suggest this for anyone who is waiting for Princess to officially announce specific dates.

I just booked one for the Royal in October. They dont seem to be posting dates for 2014 BVEs on their website, so i took the logical route.

I went to "Book a cruise" on the Princess website to see what dates ships were leaving from NYC, and based my BVE options on this. I would suggest this for anyone who is waiting for Princess to officially announce specific dates.

Princess let you book a BVE 8 months out? Just curious, because we have always been told no more than 60 days out.

I just called Princess and there is a BVE available on the day I'm interested in but I had a thought after speaking with them...

This is only a 4-day cruise from SF to Vancouver. I was hoping to have my son drive us to SF and drop us off and I thought it would be nice to treat him to a BVE so he can see what the ship is like, etc. However, he doesn't have a passport.

Since this cruise doesn't return to the US could he just use an original birth certificate or would he have to have a passport? It seem to me that I've read where people have used a birth certificate but I'm not real sure since this cruise doesn't return to the US.

Since this cruise doesn't return to the US could he just use an original birth certificate or would he have to have a passport? It seem to me that I've read where people have used a birth certificate but I'm not real sure since this cruise doesn't return to the US.

You only need a drivers license for BVE.

I booked the BVE today for my cabinmate's husband directly with Princess. The gal took my name & booking number, verified that there would be a BVE on this date, then transferred me to the BVE dept. I gave them DH name, email and I paid for the BVE. She read back the booking number and instructions. She linked our booking number to his, so that we can check-in and board early. He has a passport, but a state issued photo ID is acceptable and you'll need a credit card on the day of the BVE (just in case you want to buy anything [future cruise credit, maybe?] or drinks).... all in all... about 15 minutes. :)

I booked the BVE today for my cabinmate's husband directly with Princess. The gal took my name & booking number, verified that there would be a BVE on this date, then transferred me to the BVE dept. I gave them DH name, email and I paid for the BVE. She read back the booking number and instructions. She linked our booking number to his, so that we can check-in and board early. He has a passport, but a state issued photo ID is acceptable and you'll need a credit card on the day of the BVE (just in case you want to buy anything [future cruise credit, maybe?] or drinks).... all in all... about 15 minutes. :)

We had the same experience in San Francisco last summer. There were 5 of us sailing and two guests for the BVE. My only complaint was that since those of us sailing DID NOT get a sticker, we were not served wine at lunch. That was a little awkward. I think Princess could afford to offer just one glass of wine to their sailing passengers who bring guests to introduce them to the ship! Each couple, even those sailing, DID get a picture.

We had the same experience in San Francisco last summer. There were 5 of us sailing and two guests for the BVE. My only complaint was that since those of us sailing DID NOT get a sticker, we were not served wine at lunch. That was a little awkward. I think Princess could afford to offer just one glass of wine to their sailing passengers who bring guests to introduce them to the ship! Each couple, even those sailing, DID get a picture.

A guest did a bve with us, and she got a glass of wine, but we

did not. I would not expect wine if I were simply having lunch

in the dining room, so it was fine.

We did a BVE in November, and the photographers thought all

BVE customers had friends sailing, so they didn't print the pictures.

They promised to send later, but never did.

My only complaint was that since those of us sailing DID NOT get a sticker, we were not served wine at lunch. That was a little awkward. I think Princess could afford to offer just one glass of wine

We go to dinner onboard every night with some having wine and others not. Don't find anything awkward about that. BVE guests have a $39 ticket that includes a glass of wine. Non BVE guests have a cruise card that can get them a glass of wine if required.

Terry

y only complaint was that since those of us sailing DID NOT get a sticker, we were not served wine at lunch. That was a little awkward. I think Princess could afford to offer just one glass of wine to their sailing passengers who bring guests to introduce them to the ship!

We go to dinner onboard every night with some having wine and others not. Don't find anything awkward about that. BVE guests have a $39 ticket that includes a glass of wine. Non BVE guests have a cruise card that can get them a glass of wine if required.

Terry

We had a similiar situation, in that some sitting at the table were BVE participants, while others were actually sailing. The staff handled the situation well, asking the sailing passengers for their Sail and Sign cards in the normal manner, while providing the BVE guests with their complimentary glass of wine.

I guess we were lucky. We brought our son and his friend on board for the BVE. At lunch all those that wanted, were served wine. Even my wife and I who were the cruisers. No signatures asked for. We did get our pictures at the picture galley. Our cabin was available so they were able to see our view of Treasure Island and the Bay Bridge.:D

I guess we were lucky. We brought our son and his friend on board for the BVE. At lunch all those that wanted, were served wine. Even my wife and I who were the cruisers. No signatures asked for. We did get our pictures at the picture galley. Our cabin was available so they were able to see our view of Treasure Island and the Bay Bridge.:D

It would be nice if this practice could be followed on all BVEs!

Thanks for the response but I don't think my questions were clear.

Since we are actually sailing we will not be paying the $39 for the BVE, just joining friends.

They will sign up for it. Do we need to let anyone know beforehand that we will be joining them or just show up at 10:30 with our normal boarding passes for the cruise?

Also, the pictures are included in their $39. We're not paying anything so it would seem we don't qualify for the pictures.

We have three cabins on our upcoming cruise and have someone not traveling with us that wants to do the BVE. We let Princess attached all three rooms to the BVE person so we are all able to board with him. Hope this answers your question :)

• 2 weeks later...

I finally called Princess to ask about BVE's. Specifically, whether they do them in Vancouver at all. Doesn't look as though they do. They read off a list of ports including LA, SF, Seattle, Boston (I think) and Fort Lauderdale but there were NO foreign ports listed.

I thought there may have just been an occasional date in each port but it sounded to me as though most sailings were possible as long as they weren't already fully booked. I asked how many they allowed per sailing thinking probably ten or twelve but was surprised at the answer. FIFTY per sailing. WoW!

Disappointed that Vancouver doesn't get an opportunity but oh well, were used to it! Like when I tried to get the Princess Visa card. No Go for Canadians.

Terry

I finally called Princess to ask about BVE's. Specifically, whether they do them in Vancouver at all. Doesn't look as though they do. They read off a list of ports including LA, SF, Seattle, Boston (I think) and Fort Lauderdale but there were NO foreign ports listed.

I thought there may have just been an occasional date in each port but it sounded to me as though most sailings were possible as long as they weren't already fully booked. I asked how many they allowed per sailing thinking probably ten or twelve but was surprised at the answer. FIFTY per sailing. WoW!

Fifty is the norm for the number of people allowed to the BVE, but I suggest you book early, as they do fill up quickly.

Fifty is the norm for the number of people allowed to the BVE, but I suggest you book early, as they do fill up quickly.

A friend came on a BVE with us when we were sailing.

She was the only participant.

She got a private tour from the Future Cruise Sales person

(and someone else I can't remember). I thought it was funny,

as there were two staff for the single participant.

Mrs. Pablo came on a BVE when I was sailing alone. Again, she

was the only BVE participant.

No Boston as that's not an embarkation port for Princess. Also, it's not available outside the US since Princess would have to make special arrangements with Canadian Immigration to allow it.

A friend came on a BVE with us when we were sailing.

She was the only participant.

She got a private tour from the Future Cruise Sales person

(and someone else I can't remember). I thought it was funny,

as there were two staff for the single participant.

Mrs. Pablo came on a BVE when I was sailing alone. Again, she

was the only BVE participant.

That is rather sad to hear, since I know there are lots of people who would enjoy doing this. I suspect it is Princess not doing a good job of letting people know that the program is available, and the need to make it easier for people to register for it.

I don't think it is even on the main website anywhere obvious.

I agree. The only reference I could find is a short blurb on their FAQ web page. (http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp). This tells people to call the 1-800 number.

They have numerous links at the bottom of their home page, and could place a link there, and then have a web page dedicated to the program.

Doing a Google search brings up a number of travel agents' websites, but nothing from Princess' web site.