Bon Voyage Experience (BVE) for 2014

Smokeyham

It's important to note that the list posted for 2013 was incomplete. My wife and I did a BVE in SF that was a few weeks AFTER the last one posted on the list. Our TA told us we were out of luck as there were no more BVEs scheduled for the year but I decided to call Princess directly and was told there were a couple more scheduled. The person on the phone wasn't sure so she asked me to hold while she checked and came back with good news for me.

The last BVE listed for SF on that list shows as September 7. It turned out there was one in SF on September 17th (I think that was the date we passed on) and another one (the one we attended) on September 27th. It never hurts to ask and I was glad I did.

I agree that calling Princess is a good way to go. I think the list on the travel agents' website was posted early in the year, and not updated as Princess made changes.

make sure when you check in for your cruise you tell them that you are doing the BVE with your friends. They need to give you a sticker to wear or you will not be allowed on board. We had a mess in Brooklyn doing this with our daughters a few weeks ago. No one seemed to know where to go or what to do. They put us in the wrong place to wait, and we didn't know about the stickers. they were going to let the girls on but not us. Someone was kind enough to go get stickers and clear up the mess. They had a great time wandering the ship and eating their way through the various venues.

BVE's are only available at the start of the cruise ? At a port stop, San Diego, relatives can't experience the BVE?
Pat, the BVE is done only on some embarkation days in some US ports. No port stops. :) There's a group of us planning to do a BVE on the Sapphire in late March. I know it's a hike from SD but come join us. We're just waiting for 2014 BVE bookings to open.

We're on the January 4, 2014 sailing on the Grand, and I've been calling every couple of weeks since September trying to get information on the BVE for this sailing. Each time I've been told our sailing "is not on the list", and I have had to point out to the agent that the list ends with 2013 dates, and I want to know about a 2014 sailing. Each time the agents would call the BVE Group while I was hold, and each time I was told call back .. most recently, to call back in mid to late November. Each time I asked the agent to note in my record history that I wanted to have family on board for the BVE, and that I hoped it would lead to a family sailing in the near future.

Called today (11/20) and was told there were no BVEs for the Grand past November 27. Again asked the Agent to contact the BVE group, as my request for for 2014.

The Agent came back on the line after a long hold, and told me there WOULD be a BVE on the January 4 sailing from San Francisco ... but it was limited to a total of 50, and there was a single reservation for 50! Also, the person "in charge" of this wasn't in, so there was no one for me to discuss it with.

I pointed out I had been making a request for this information for over 120 days. His suggestion is that I call back at 05:30 PT to chat with that group in the morning.

Frustrating! I suppose the point of the BVE is for agents to get potential clients on board, but I feel like I should have a chance at it, too.

Will update this post after I speak with them tomorrow. Hold a good thought for me!

We're on the January 4, 2014 sailing on the Grand, and I've been calling every couple of weeks since September trying to get information on the BVE for this sailing. Each time I've been told our sailing "is not on the list", and I have had to point out to the agent that the list ends with 2013 dates, and I want to know about a 2014 sailing. Each time the agents would call the BVE Group while I was hold, and each time I was told call back .. most recently, to call back in mid to late November. Each time I asked the agent to note in my record history that I wanted to have family on board for the BVE, and that I hoped it would lead to a family sailing in the near future.

Called today (11/20) and was told there were no BVEs for the Grand past November 27. Again asked the Agent to contact the BVE group, as my request for for 2014.

The Agent came back on the line after a long hold, and told me there WOULD be a BVE on the January 4 sailing from San Francisco ... but it was limited to a total of 50, and there was a single reservation for 50! Also, the person "in charge" of this wasn't in, so there was no one for me to discuss it with.

I pointed out I had been making a request for this information for over 120 days. His suggestion is that I call back at 05:30 PT to chat with that group in the morning.

Frustrating! I suppose the point of the BVE is for agents to get potential clients on board, but I feel like I should have a chance at it, too.

Will update this post after I speak with them tomorrow. Hold a good thought for me!

How frustrating!

This is a great program, but Princess really needs to get better organized. I'm going to write a formal letter to Princess, and will include the following points. Please feel free to add other ideas, and to write to Princess yourself with ideas for improving the program. If enough of us submit letters the program may be improved:

· Create website/webpages specifically for this program, with updated information on the dates/ships/ports where the program is being offered.

o Provide accurate information for people considering participating in the program so they know the actual boarding time, etc.

· Simplify the registration process so people who do not have passports (but do have driver’s licenses) can more easily register.

· Create a way that people on the Bon Voyage can link their registration to friends/family who will boarding as regular passengers (perhaps through the passengers’ confirmation number).

· Show the number of remaining places available on each Bon Voyage Experience.

Here is their mailing address. I do believe that there are times when a mailed letter has greater impact than an email, so suggest the "snail mail" approach for this.

24305 Town Center Drive

Santa Clarita, CA 91355

It could be that there is a wedding on board that day, and the 50 people are wedding guests. Wedding reservations would trump BVE guests.

It could be that there is a wedding on board that day, and the 50 people are wedding guests. Wedding reservations would trump BVE guests.

There was a wedding on our sailing and we still had BVE guests so not sure that would trump the BVE.

Pat, the BVE is done only on some embarkation days in some US ports. No port stops. :) There's a group of us planning to do a BVE on the Sapphire in late March. I know it's a hike from SD but come join us. We're just waiting for 2014 BVE bookings to open.

Thanks Pam~~~I may try to do that, although we will be on Sapphire in Jan for a few days.

Mostly I was interested in knowing if our DS and DIL could BVE at our port stop in SD since that's where we live. Just a fun outing for them. I didn't think it was possible, but worth a try.

Thanks.

Pat

So frustrated! Called at 7 am today as instructed yesterday only to be told that the person who could help me would be in at 8:30. Called back at the appropriate time to be told by the agent who answered the phone that the reservation for 50 was confirmed ... Yesterday, right before I called. And that was that.

I expressed my frustration, and asked the agent to please call the BVE Group, as I initially requested. She did, and came back after an extended hold to say there was nothing that could be done.

I again expressed my frustration. I've been calling over the last several MONTHS, and called back repeatedly, as directed ... and I missed it by one day? Unbelievable!

I asked if it was a travel agency booking and she said yes. I asked for the agency information ... I would happily book it that way, but she "was unable to reveal that information".

I was then turned over to Customer Relations, who apologized that I had to call back so many times ... But it was sold, booked, done. Customs allows a maximum of 50 BVE guests on board, and they can make no exceptions.

They will call me back on December 9 in case anything has changed. Not sure what that means, and not sure I will ever hear anything further.

Total time on this call was 39 minutes. The call made earlier today was 14 minutes.

They really need a better system! And it seems pretty clear the intention is to sell this as a block to agencies rather than individuals.

I think the biggest failure is that the front line agents don't have accurate information, and there is no direct way to reach those in the know.

Not holding my breath, but will update this on December 9 with the final outcome.

Weddings are different. There was a wedding group on our BVE earlier this year and they boarded before us. There were probably 40-50 people doing the BVE.

Since the BVE is arranged through Homeland Security, it's possible that the Princess BVE Group weren't allowed or able to release the dates. I'm probably jaded but I take anything organized/overseen by a government group with a grain of salt.

To my knowledge, TA's do not block out groups on BVEs. What can happen is what my TA told me: she has a list of passengers who have requested BVEs on certain dates. She's waiting for the 2014 dates and as soon as they open, will book her clients. They aren't pre-booked or blocked out but I'm sure other TAs do the same service for their clients.

I've done 3 BVE's and never through my TA. I just call Princess. Of course if there is a wedding, and there are only 50 allowed to do the BVE, I understand why that would get priority. So sorry for your frustration, I would be very frustrated too. I do find that you can get different answers from different customer service reps, so that's why I usually resort to getting on CC and asking questions. Pam is always so helpful, and is always happy to share her knowledge.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam in CA

Pat, the BVE is done only on some embarkation days in some US ports. No port stops. There's a group of us planning to do a BVE on the Sapphire in late March. I know it's a hike from SD but come join us. We're just waiting for 2014 BVE bookings to open.

Pam, please keep us in mind for the BVE, it would be so much fun to see everyone.

Eileen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam in CA

Pat' date=' the BVE is done only on some embarkation days in some US ports. No port stops. There's a group of us planning to do a BVE on the Sapphire in late March. I know it's a hike from SD but come join us. We're just waiting for 2014 BVE bookings to open.

Pam, please keep us in mind for the BVE, it would be so much fun to see everyone.

Eileen[/quote']Absolutely! :)

I again expressed my frustration. I've been calling over the last several MONTHS, and called back repeatedly, as directed ... and I missed it by one day? Unbelievable!
Just to provide an alternate idea... Perhaps there was never a public BVE available. Some TA called his DSM, and arranged a special BVE, and bought all the slots for his (potential) customers.

Just to provide an alternate idea... Perhaps there was never a public BVE available. Some TA called his DSM, and arranged a special BVE, and bought all the slots for his (potential) customers.
Personally, I think this is less likely. The reason is that I don't think TAs get much of anything as commission on a BVE and the organization would be very time-consuming. It's just like booking a cruise. The TAs I'm familiar with do this for their clients as an added-on value service, not to make money.

Personally, I think this is less likely. The reason is that I don't think TAs get much of anything as commission on a BVE and the organization would be very time-consuming. It's just like booking a cruise. The TAs I'm familiar with do this for their clients as an added-on value service, not to make money.
Well, the original poster told us that one travel agent bought all the slots. It is certainly not for the travel agent, or their employees, as they could fam...

Well, the original poster told us that one travel agent bought all the slots. It is certainly not for the travel agent, or their employees, as they could fam...
That's true. But it could have meant that the TA booked all the spots because they had a list of clients who had asked to be booked when available. We don't know the actual wording. "Bought" is very different from "booked."

Just a thought. If the wedding was being performed during the time friends and family would be aboard for the BVE, Princess would know about it and reserve the 50 spaces usually occupied by individuals who would be there solely for the BVE experience. This is a wonderful idea for a small wedding. A lovely lunch is served with wine included and the guests enjoy the day and bid farewell to the honeymooners. Very clever, if you ask me.

Just a thought. If the wedding was being performed during the time friends and family would be aboard for the BVE' date=' Princess would know about it and reserve the 50 spaces usually occupied by individuals who would be there solely for the BVE experience. This is a wonderful idea for a small wedding. A lovely lunch is served with wine included and the guests enjoy the day and bid farewell to the honeymooners. Very clever, if you ask me.[/quote']

No, that's not how it works. The wedding is totally separate from the BVE, and lot more expensive per passenger than the BVE. I just sailed and had a friend take me to the port and I treated him to the BVE. There was a wedding waiting to board. The BVE boarded first and then the wedding. There were about 30 or 40 for the BVE and as many, if not more, for the wedding.

They only give the person doing the BVE a sticker, and this has been the case on every sailing when I brought someone. You do not need a sticker if you are the one sailing and have someone doing the BVE with you. In fact, if you are a passenger, you shouldn't have a BVE sticker, because the BVE passenger gets a free glass of wine with lunch but you pay for yours, among other reasons.

Now, that being said, I did have a problem with boarding this time in Brooklyn. The woman at the door to the gangway was arguing with me that only the BVE passengers were entitled to early boarding. Just what is your guest supposed to do while waiting for you to board? I have heard of this happening to others so I was prepared. In any event, it was quickly straightened out by another employee, who set her straight, and I was welcomed to board with my friend.

In my past BVE experiences, we were welcomed and giving a briefing by the Future Cruise Consultant upon entering our waiting area, and then the FCC stayed with us, and offered the tour. This time we were given no information, no offer of a tour, no nothing. Most of the BVE guests were not accompanied by a passenger and it was a bit confusing for them. Plus, had the FCC been with us, those of us who had an issue boarding with our guests would not have experienced the problem.

Maureen

Thank you for the update. I'm doing a BVE for the first time on Royal next month and I'm sure I'll be hooked. :)

I'm cruising on the Royal 1/5/14. Anyone want to BVE with me so I can priority board?! Not sure if they have released the 2014 BVE calendar yet, but I'm happy to pay for your lunch if you'll help me board early!

So frustrated! Called at 7 am today as instructed yesterday only to be told that the person who could help me would be in at 8:30. Called back at the appropriate time to be told by the agent who answered the phone that the reservation for 50 was confirmed ... Yesterday, right before I called. And that was that.

I expressed my frustration, and asked the agent to please call the BVE Group, as I initially requested. She did, and came back after an extended hold to say there was nothing that could be done.

I asked if it was a travel agency booking and she said yes. I asked for the agency information ... I would happily book it that way, but she "was unable to reveal that information".

I was then turned over to Customer Relations, who apologized that I had to call back so many times ... But it was sold, booked, done. Customs allows a maximum of 50 BVE guests on board, and they can make no exceptions.

They will call me back on December 9 in case anything has changed. Not sure what that means, and not sure I will ever hear anything further.

Total time on this call was 39 minutes. The call made earlier today was 14 minutes.

They really need a better system! And it seems pretty clear the intention is to sell this as a block to agencies rather than individuals.

I think the biggest failure is that the front line agents don't have accurate information, and there is no direct way to reach those in the know.

Not holding my breath, but will update this on December 9 with the final outcome.

What a mess! I am so sorry to hear of your experiences. In the past, I have called, answered some basic questions, and then been put through to speak to the BVE office/staff (after requesting that I speak to them directly). They were much more knowledgeable about the program.

In one instance, before being transferred to the BVE department, I had a front line staff member inform me that I could not sign up for BVE because I was not accompanying a regular passenger on board. Thankfully, I knew how the program worked, apparently better than she did!

You might try writing a letter to Princess, and include the "log" of calls which you made. Worth a try.

No, that's not how it works. The wedding is totally separate from the BVE, and lot more expensive per passenger than the BVE. I just sailed and had a friend take me to the port and I treated him to the BVE. There was a wedding waiting to board. The BVE boarded first and then the wedding. There were about 30 or 40 for the BVE and as many, if not more, for the wedding.

They only give the person doing the BVE a sticker, and this has been the case on every sailing when I brought someone. You do not need a sticker if you are the one sailing and have someone doing the BVE with you. In fact, if you are a passenger, you shouldn't have a BVE sticker, because the BVE passenger gets a free glass of wine with lunch but you pay for yours, among other reasons.

Now, that being said, I did have a problem with boarding this time in Brooklyn. The woman at the door to the gangway was arguing with me that only the BVE passengers were entitled to early boarding. Just what is your guest supposed to do while waiting for you to board? I have heard of this happening to others so I was prepared. In any event, it was quickly straightened out by another employee, who set her straight, and I was welcomed to board with my friend.

In my past BVE experiences, we were welcomed and giving a briefing by the Future Cruise Consultant upon entering our waiting area, and then the FCC stayed with us, and offered the tour. This time we were given no information, no offer of a tour, no nothing. Most of the BVE guests were not accompanied by a passenger and it was a bit confusing for them. Plus, had the FCC been with us, those of us who had an issue boarding with our guests would not have experienced the problem.

Maureen

I was there Maureen. They insisted that we must have a sticker too. It was a bit crazy and there was no one there to help. Maybe they hadn't done it in Brooklyn before. Will definitely sign the girls up again next year for the Royal. It gives them a nice break from driving back home to CT after dropping us off. They had a great time eating their way from venue to venue!