Not eating in MDR

GdubKY

Yep, I agree with others.

The service charge/gratuities/tips are not just for dinner. It covers tips everywhere you eat (aside from the $$ venues and room service) for breakfast, lunch, dinner and other included snacks.

The last few cruises we have not eaten in the MDR either, but I do prepay the tips and keep them intact. I eat at WJ or other venues for breakfast and do not tip them, same with the Hotdog place, Promenade Cafe, etc. Unless you are planning on tipping your specific servers at all of these venues, it would seem to be easier to just keep in all included and let RCI pay the tips in their formula.

Of course, to tip extra, that is your decision.

And..I guess having them removed is ultimately your decision as well. I doubt you will see many advocating that on this board.

If we plan to eat only in Windjammer and venues other than the MDR, it is acceptable to go to customer service once we board and ask that the gratuities that are added to the SeaPass card be adjusted to only cover the stateroom attendants,or taken off all together and we will take care of the stateroom attendant with cash in an envelope? We usually sit in the same area of Windjammer, and get to know the staff that work that area, so we also give them an envelope at the end of

Why would you care what people on cruise critic think.It is your money do what you think is best.:) :) Have a great cruise.

Most of the threads on CC are about what people think. If you don't care what people on CC think then what is the point in even reading the boards?

Most of the threads on CC are about what people think. If you don't care what people on CC think then what is the point in even reading the boards?

...or posting a question. :D

We are all more than happy to provide our OPINIONS. :)

It's your vacation! If you can still sleep at night knowing you're a cheap skate, then more power to you.

Wow. If you re-read OP's post, you will not s/he asked "it is acceptable...". The members here then proceeded to explain how the process works and how it would be best to leave the auto-tip in place. I know my sister and her family had this question and many others that we all know the answers to, about their first cruise a few years ago. Not everyone who asks about this is a jerk, you know. Some ask with sincerity and a genuine ignorance, hence the purpose for these boards. Gee.

Wow. If you re-read OP's post, you will not s/he asked "it is acceptable...". The members here then proceeded to explain how the process works and how it would be best to leave the auto-tip in place. I know my sister and her family had this question and many others that we all know the answers to, about their first cruise a few years ago. Not everyone who asks about this is a jerk, you know. Some ask with sincerity and a genuine ignorance, hence the purpose for these boards. Gee.

And not everyone who replies is a jerk, but some.....

True, as a friend is going with me who has never cruised and has a million questions. However, the OP has been a CC member since 2008 and has seven cruises under their belt so I would assume they have a better handle on how things work. But then again, we all know what happens with assumptions.;):)

22 cruises and counting. Sailing Liberty of the Seas in a few weeks. And yet we’re still newbies in comparison to some of you. After the 6 cruise we stop eating in the MDR no more dressing up for formal nights ect. And yes we go to guest services and stand in line if there is one and have the tips removed.

We give cash tips at all venues every day. Our tips far exceed any prepaid or automated. These forums are all alike. It doesn’t matter which cruise line. It’s the same with Tripadvisor it doesn’t matter what destination. There’s also the same ones who, if you don’t agree with their opinion resort to bullying tactics.

Calling people cheapskates. Really?? Suggesting that standing in line is a waste of time. Suggesting that you're somehow bad if you remove the tips.

Some of you remind me of teenagers who bully others on facebook. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves. Yeah I said it now go ahead and bully me. To the OP if you want to have the tips removed feel free to do so. Feel free to do whatever you think is best.

Just to note we pre-pay our tips before we cruise.

And leave them on.

If I have a concern I speak to that individual, and if that does not resolve I will address someone higher--(and I only went above someones head once on a major delay on a ship sponsored tour). I also recognize excellent service.

Saying that, I can only wonder.

If a person selects to not include in the daily gratuity allowance the staff servers----and give exclusively to the waiters and assistants that serve them(tip envelope), then they are the ones who are really benefiting.

Because those wait staff will still get there divided share of the pot from that sailing, plus more, and those that do not get extra tips get less.

Is it a good idea, to make the staff work harder for their tips.........(recognizing specific individuals)?? (dunno).

I am not saying the original poster, but I could see this trend decrease the amount of tips cruise workers would get, because some passengers may not tip at all (saying they gave individual tips). While others may tip more.

I just wish that the cruise lines would include the base tipping fee in the actual cruise cost (I know dreaming).

Thanks for my rant.

Sea Ya

This is just my opinion and I don't care on how others handle their tips as that is their business and none of mine.

As Royal has set up the auto gratuities and placed their serving staff into the pool I am assuming ( maybe incorrectly ) that they have devised some kind of schedule/ rotation to ensure that over the course of a week/ month that every crew member that is part of the tip pool will have received the same share of the tip pool.

I feel that if I am removing my tips from the MDR (due to eating in other venues) then that server will now not receive their share of the tip pool (at no fault of their own), while the other servers (at WJ, specialty etc..) will now receive not only their full share from the pool plus an additional amount.

I will continue to treat the prepaid gratuities as just part of the cruise and forget about them and reward those who go above and beyond with an extra gratuity.

I just wish that the cruise lines would include the base tipping fee in the actual cruise cost (I know dreaming).

Thanks for my rant.

Sea Ya

Azamara does, open bar too! And when I cruise on RC, Celebrity, and others, I just include my gratuities as part of the cruise price.

This is just my opinion and I don't care on how others handle their tips as that is their business and none of mine.

I'm not looking to spar with anyone either.:)

As Royal has set up the auto gratuities and placed their serving staff into the pool I am assuming ( maybe incorrectly ) that they have devised some kind of schedule/ rotation to ensure that over the course of a week/ month that every crew member that is part of the tip pool will have received the same share of the tip pool.

This is how I view things but I guess others feel they have a better way.;)

I feel that if I am removing my tips from the MDR (due to eating in other venues) then that server will now not receive their share of the tip pool (at no fault of their own), while the other servers (at WJ, specialty etc..) will now receive not only their full share from the pool plus an additional amount.
My understanding, at least on one other line is, if you remove the auto tips and give cash, those crew must turn in the cash to be aded to the "pot" and it is then divided. The crew that someone thinks is getting more, in the long run is not. However, if you leave the auto tip in place and give a crew member extra in cash, they can keep the extra.

I will continue to treat the prepaid gratuities as just part of the cruise and forget about them and reward those who go above and beyond with an extra gratuity.

This is always what we do.:)

So don't wanna get flamed, but....if you prepay gratuities, are you being presumptuous thinking you are going to get good service?? Isn't tipping all about recognizing people that do their job well??

Never sailed the RC line, but on other cruises, I believe they've just added the tips at the end.

So don't wanna get flamed, but....if you prepay gratuities, are you being presumptuous thinking you are going to get good service?? Isn't tipping all about recognizing people that do their job well??

Never sailed the RC line, but on other cruises, I believe they've just added the tips at the end.

We have pre paided and all ways gotten great service.

If we plan to eat only in Windjammer and venues other than the MDR, it is acceptable to go to customer service once we board and ask that the gratuities that are added to the SeaPass card be adjusted to only cover the stateroom attendants,or taken off all together and we will take care of the stateroom attendant with cash in an envelope? We usually sit in the same area of Windjammer, and get to know the staff that work that area, so we also give them an envelope at the end of the week

Here we go again!:eek:

Yes, you can have the auto tips removed and tip the rest with cash, and I would agree it is the best thing to do.

PROUD TO BE A CHEAPSKATE!

I can think of many things I'd rather do than stand for ages at the Guest Services desk to ask for the prepaid gratuities to be removed. I'm avoiding saying why I wouldn't remove it even if there weren't a queue. This conversation has been done to death already.

I never realized that 5 minutes was standing for ages.

Love to read different opinions,but people like rci cruiser post# 27 get under my skin.To call someone a cheap skate because they don't agree with him.I knew it was coming when they asked the question.A little respect goes a long way, Ocean Boy have a great next cruise.:) :)

Then there's something you don't know about Royal Caribbean.;) If you choose My Time Dining, you must prepay so it has nothing to do with being presumptuous about getting good service. :)

BTW, NCL and Princess add gratuities day by day and call it a daily service charge.

Love to read different opinions,but people like rci cruiser post# 27 get under my skin.To call someone a cheap skate because they don't agree with him.I knew it was coming when they asked the question.A little respect goes a long way, Ocean Boy have a great next cruise.:) :)

Now I understand the point of your post. You have a great cruise too.

Archived