Breakfast on HA

eddieg07410

A few years ago we did the Eurodam and found their buffet breakfast the best of any cruise we had been on. Their omellete station offered more options and I needn't ask for fresh berries. They were just there.For current cruisers how would you categorize the breakfast bouffet?

Still great. Actually this is one area far superior to what is offered on Crystal cruise ships - they have a lousy breakfast buffet. I couldn't even find sweet butter for their very substandard baked goods. i was directed to dishes of butter to which they had actually added sugar itself. Yeck.

But we also like the refinement and quiet of the main dining room for breakfast too. Pretty good range of the classics, if not the variety of the buffet. Easier than standing in line and fighting for a table that early in the morning.

Many choices available and all that I tried were very good. One thing I learned this Summer on the Eurodam was that if one wanted items like scrambled eggs, bacon/sausage, their-style of Hash Brown Potatoes, it was not necessary to line-up at the part of the buffet line that served the hot dishes. The waffle station also had the items I listed as well and the lines were always shorter than at the main hot dish station. And, the eggs, etc. were just as good and just as hot/warm as one could get at the hot dish station.

I do not know if it was because of the passenger mix or not, but a separate section for an "English Breakfast" was set-up. It had the traditional American breakfast items as well as those items that are friends in the UK enjoy, i.e. grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, English Bacon, baked beans, etc.

It seemed like I could only find my loved croissants at the station where the Continental Breakfast items were located. And, even then on some days, they were "out"! Darn!

Still great. Actually this is one area far superior to what is offered on Crystal cruise ships - they have a lousy breakfast buffet. I couldn't even find sweet butter for their very substandard baked goods. i was directed to dishes of butter to which they had actually added sugar itself. Yeck.

But we also like the refinement and quiet of the main dining room for breakfast too. Pretty good range of the classics, if not the variety of the buffet. Easier than standing in line and fighting for a table that early in the morning.

Is breakfast served in MDR or just the lido ?

We just did the Eurodam October 12-27. Generally it was a good cruise. However, in my opinion, the breakfast buffet was horrible. In fact, any dining in the Lido was horrible. Who wants to eat cafeteria style ever, never mind while on holiday? We had breakfast most mornings in the MDR. Our only problem was that it was open for breakfast only until 9 (9:30 some mornings.) We found the MDR very under utilized. It didn't open for lunch on a daily basis. We felt it was a waste of a wonderful facility.

This was our first Holland America cruise. We usually cruise Princess. There were some things we loved about HAL but the dining options, horrible evening entertainment and poorly configured staterooms were deal breakers for us.

Pearl

We just did the Eurodam October 12-27. Generally it was a good cruise. However, in my opinion, the breakfast buffet was horrible. In fact, any dining in the Lido was horrible. Who wants to eat cafeteria style ever, never mind while on holiday? We had breakfast most mornings in the MDR. Our only problem was that it was open for breakfast only until 9 (9:30 some mornings.) We found the MDR very under utilized. It didn't open for lunch on a daily basis. We felt it was a waste of a wonderful facility.

This was our first Holland America cruise. We usually cruise Princess. There were some things we loved about HAL but the dining options, horrible evening entertainment and poorly configured staterooms were deal breakers for us.

Pearl

I agree with you that Princess does have some advantages over HAL.

Is breakfast served in MDR or just the lido ?

Both, buffet in the Lido, table service in the MDR.

And also breakfast in the Pinnacle restaurant for Neptune suites guests only which is the same as the MDR menu. I got to like the eggwhite frittata on our last cruise off the Pinnacle/MDR menu. But no thanks to a few of their "international" breakfast menu offerings - meh.

Though I was always going to try the Japanese breakfast - grilled salmon, rice and miso soup, but somehow never got too far past the tray of powder sugar donuts to give it a try. Loved their oatmeal too.

The menu lox and bagels does not work, but the fixings on the Lido buffet do. You have to have slices of tomato and onions to make it properly which the Lido offers; not wedges and the flimsy amount of onion and capers that come out on the menu offering of this delectable start to the day.

One thing I learned this Summer on the Eurodam was that if one wanted items like scrambled eggs, bacon/sausage, their-style of Hash Brown Potatoes, it was not necessary to line-up at the part of the buffet line that served the hot dishes. The waffle station also had the items I listed as well and the lines were always shorter than at the main hot dish station. And, the eggs, etc. were just as good and just as hot/warm as one could get at the hot dish station.

That's a good trick on the larger ships, but unfortunately it doesn't carry over to the smaller ships. :(

Sometimes I have to go to the hot foods area to get toast for my egg white omelet.

You have to go elsewhere to get meats to go with that waffle.

Just something to keep in mind.

Both, buffet in the Lido, table service in the MDR.

And also breakfast in the Pinnacle restaurant for Neptune suites guests only which is the same as the MDR menu. I got to like the eggwhite frittata on our last cruise off the Pinnacle/MDR menu. But no thanks to a few of their "international" breakfast menu offerings - meh.

Though I was always going to try the Japanese breakfast - grilled salmon, rice and miso soup, but somehow never got too far past the tray of powder sugar donuts to give it a try. Loved their oatmeal too.

The menu lox and bagels does not work, but the fixings on the Lido buffet do. You have to have slices of tomato and onions to make it properly which the Lido offers; not wedges and the flimsy amount of onion and capers that come out on the menu offering of this delectable start to the day.

Love the eggwhite frittata - had that just about every day (after the oatmeal, LOL, but they could never find a bowl of brown sugar.). I managed to resist the donuts tray. DH loved the "full English".

Pearl

I was on the same cruise as you and have the same feelings about the lido. I hate it. I ate brekie in the MDR almost every day. I wished the MDR would have been open for lunch more. That was annoying.

I was on the same cruise as you and have the same feelings about the lido. I hate it. I ate brekie in the MDR almost every day. I wished the MDR would have been open for lunch more. That was annoying.

I wonder if doing room service for breakfast especially on port days is a good strategy ?

I wonder if doing room service for breakfast especially on port days is a good strategy ?

I like to do room service if I have a early shorex. That way I can get ready and eat at the same time. I like to get out of my cabin ASAP in the morning so the cabin stewards can get in and out. I go into my cabin 50 times a day. My stewards on my recent Eurodam cruise were awesome, best I've ever had.

I think it depends on what you like to eat in the morning. DH and I have a hearty breakfast and extremely light lunch - therefore we eat in the MDR (or Pinnacle). Room Service breakfast would not be a favorite for my DH. Your family might love it.

That's a good trick on the larger ships, but unfortunately it doesn't carry over to the smaller ships. :(

Sometimes I have to go to the hot foods area to get toast for my egg white omelet.

You have to go elsewhere to get meats to go with that waffle.

Just something to keep in mind.

And everything gets cold while you go from one place to the next to get all the various things you want. Toast always seems to be a 'hang up' spot.

We love room service for breakfast on HAL the most.

I dislike room service. My idea of enjoying a meal while on holiday is sitting down at a proper table, in a comfortable chair and being waited on. We found this service on Holland America very limited.

Archived