Royal Princess. The budget ship.

antsp

and the prices of her itinaries dropping all the time...

Dropping?? Where? My sailing is not for another year and my category is already sold out and the next category up available is a good $400 more than what I'm currently paying!

I have been reading extensively about the Royal since I decided to book it, and I have noticed that its indeed a handful of people here on Cruise Critic who have created this micro-environment of "gloom and doom" around it.

Edited by Tapi

I think a lot of people forget that cruise lines are evolving and the Royal is an EVOLUTION of what Princess has been doing. Maybe they are trying to appeal to different groups of people.

The Royal is exactly the reason why we have finally chosen to try Princess for the 1st time. :D

I honestly feel sorry for Princess traditionalists who would prefer that the cruise line that they have grown to love remains unchanged (I know how it feels from sailing on other cruise lines and watching them change), but a lot of times, these changes are necessary to remain relevant and attract new clientele.

I'm looking forward to sailing on the Royal (and on Princess) soon.

As with any new thing there will be pain points, and they'll get fixed in time. It's like the watch I just bought that needs to go back to Citizen for a firmware update. LOL!

Seriously - yes there are some challenges, but my husband and I would not have an issue with returning to Royal Princess in a heartbeat. We fell in love with cruising, and while there were some wonky service things, overall, we were pleased.

Also, people forget how hard the crews do work.

No kidding...I don't find the repeatedly negative threads helpful from the same people who haven't even sailed on the Royal. I enjoyed the 18 day TA & for me there were many more positives than negatives. There isn't a ship that is perfect for everyone and I don't think the doom & gloom scenarios were accurate.

For some any sort of change is met with resistance & I've found it interesting how some want new ships just like the old ones. The same ships some complained about when adding another passenger deck are for some now the "good old days". ;)

I agree..well said Astro Flyer. I cannot wait to cruise on her and will enjoy every moment. Most cruises I have done, there has been some thing go not according to plan, which Is part of travelling. I think some people forget how fortunate we are to be in a position to cruise on these wonderful vessels visiting some the most glorious places in the world and meet some of best people in the world.

Dropping?? Where? My sailing is not for another year and my category is already sold out and the next category up available is a good $400 more than what I'm currently paying!

I have been reading extensively about the Royal since I decided to book it, and I have noticed that its indeed a handful of people here on Cruise Critic who have created this micro-environment of "gloom and doom" around it.

Agreed. My cruise next year is already $400 more as well. I like the reviews that we used to see. Especially from the experienced cruisers. You know, the ones, with the hints and tips of how to take advantage of the different things and potential things to watch out for. That helped for planning and then onboard the ship.Those are invaluable. Tips like, the heads-up about where the larger balconies are, if you need to ask for egg crates, etc are all helpful. Some of the "regulars" are still doing that and I thank them. In my opinion, the overall Princess product hasn't changed, how it is delivered/experienced is based on the ship (and of course if Carnival Corp is getting cheaper :D ). That is what these boards are all about...free to express opinion. I am more selective now on who I read.

No kidding...I don't find the repeatedly negative threads helpful from the same people who haven't even sailed on the Royal. I enjoyed the 18 day TA & for me there were many more positives than negatives. There isn't a ship that is perfect for everyone and I don't think the doom & gloom scenarios were accurate.

For some any sort of change is met with resistance & I've found it interesting how some want new ships just like the old ones. The same ships some complained about when adding another passenger deck are for some now the "good old days". ;)

Couldn't have said it any better. Instead of trying to help other cruisers, which is what CC is all about, there is a handful of posters with WAY too much time on their hands who periodically start new negative threads, none of which has seen the ship first hand. We loved our cruise on the Royal and would love to sail on her or Regal!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

I'm really looking forward to sailing on board the Royal this January, even more than with any previous cruise and this is mainly because it is a new ship with amazing new features that appeal to me. I will miss the all around Promenade deck and the central stairs. Will they ruin my cruise, I bet not.

Hmmm . . . guess you must be getting the benefit of some targeted special that I'm not. Lucky you. I'd definitely pay $1300 for a balcony cabin; that's a steal.

I am also seeing $1298 as a single for Christmas.

Well said' date=' my friend. :) [/size']

I don't understand why people who never intend to sail on the Royal are consistently posting about her. Move on! Surely there is more to life than consistently bashing something that isn't for you! :confused:

People do have the right to post their thoughts. There were in fact things I liked about the Royal to go along with the things I didn't like about her. Why does someone get bashed when they post something that isn't necessarily "glowing".....:rolleyes:

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

One doesn't have to sail on a ship to have an opinion about it. I have sailed on almost 40 cruises, I can definitely read deck plans and see what I like and don't like. I don't need to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to qualify my opinion.

IMO - this is one way of letting Princess know what some of us think about their new ships. It is my understanding that Princess is very concerned about feedback of the new ship (as they should be) as they are contemplating future orders.

I recently canceled several FCCs that do not expire until next year and I was escalated to another department to ask me specific questions on why I was canceling them.

I have several friends who are TAs, and they have had a huge number of cancellations on this ship. A similar posted above mentioned the same thing.

Also, CC is about discussing cruises and ships. If that be positive or negative. As long as I follow the rules of CC, I can post my opinion on cruise topics. This means that I can post things other than glowing reviews and comments.

Edited by Coral

One doesn't have to sail on a ship to have an opinion about it. I have sailed on almost 40 cruises, I can definitely read deck plans and see what I like and don't like. I don't need to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to qualify my opinion.

IMO - this is one way of letting Princess know what some of us think about their new ships. It is my understanding that Princess is very concerned about feedback of the new ship (as they should be) as they are contemplating future orders.

I recently canceled several FCCs that do not expire until next year and I was escalated to another department to ask me specific questions on why I was canceling them.

I have several friends who are TAs, and they have had a huge number of cancellations on this ship. A similar posted above mentioned the same thing.

Also, CC is about discussing cruises and ships. If that be positive or negative. As long as I follow the rules of CC, I can post my opinion on cruise topics. This means that I can post things other than glowing reviews and comments.

Couldn't have said it any better.....:):):)

Bob

People do have the right to post their thoughts. There were in fact things I liked about the Royal to go along with the things I didn't like about her. Why does someone get bashed when they post something that isn't necessarily "glowing".....:rolleyes:

Bob

No one is saying people don't have a right to post their thoughts. I welcome reviews of the Royal or posts which contain new information (ie, the soot on the balcony problem) whether its positive, negative, or indifferent. I just find it tiresome when the same people post variations of the same "Royal: Worst ship ever constructed?" threads that serve only as a vehicle to reinforce the poster's opinions.

And if we assume that Princess reps read these boards, I would think that they would be far more interested in first-hand accounts and well-reasoned arguments for what people feel are deficiencies in the ship, rather than repetitive, poorly argued screeds by a few posters who haven't even been on the ship.

Edited by Cauzneffct

That's absolutely true. If the ship seems to lack in amenities which are important to you, I don't see why you'd spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to give it a whirl anyway.

Having said that, it is one thing to feel that Royal is inadequate for your cruising needs and express your disappointment. There have been many threads which have done just that. It is another to start multiple threads (which seem to get deleted) which are all just variations of "look at me! I think the Royal is teh worstest ship ever!!!!1111"

That's absolutely true. If the ship seems to lack in amenities which are important to you, I don't see why you'd spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to give it a whirl anyway.

Having said that, it is one thing to feel that Royal is inadequate for your cruising needs and express your disappointment. There have been many threads which have done just that. It is another to start multiple threads (which seem to get deleted) which are all just variations of "look at me! I think the Royal is teh worstest ship ever!!!!1111"

I agree. I have not started one of those threads. I think constructive comments are probably best as opposed "to worst ship ever".

No one is saying people don't have a right to post their thoughts. I welcome reviews of the Royal or posts which contain new information (ie, the soot on the balcony problem) whether its positive, negative, or indifferent. I just find it tiresome when the same people post variations of the same "Royal: Worst ship ever constructed?" threads that serve only as a vehicle to reinforce the poster's opinions.

And if we assume that Princess reps read these boards, I would think that they would be far more interested in first-hand accounts and well-reasoned arguments for what people feel are deficiencies in the ship, rather than repetitive, poorly argued screeds by a few posters who haven't even been on the ship.

Your points are very well stated. As with Coral, I have never started one of those "Royal Bashing" threads. As a past Royal Princess cruiser, I posted my observations and opinions while following the CC guidelines.

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

When you can get a $649 Balcony cabin on a 7 day cruise over the Christmas holiday on a brand new ship, I think it is happening.

You had better hang on to that price, I just checked and a balcony is running $1599 per person over Christmas.

Bob

Excuse me? Where did I ever "bash" anyone? Like you, I TOO took the time to post a review from the TA, and not all of it was glowing. Far from it.

But my comments that you took the time to quote and respond to were directed the OP. Not you. not anyone else who has sailed or made constructive comments on THEIR PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

Sheesh. :rolleyes:

The $649 rate was for all balconies.

I'm showing $1099 for the 12/22 sailing and $1499 for the 12/29 sailing.

I looked at prices on other 7 night Caribbean sailings during the same week (Crown Princess and Caribbean Princess) and their balcony pricing are in line with the Royal.

Edited by Tapi

Obviously, anyone may post their thoughts about a particular cruise ship even if they haven't yet sailed on it. The point is, however, how helpful is that to others? No offense to anyone, but I only have interest in those comments from people who HAVE sailed the particular ship. Why on earth would I care what someone who hasn't sailed on her thinks? That's akin to someone saying they find the food at a particular restaurant inedible but, by the way, hasn't ever dined there. But, this forum is a place for all types of comments. Some are helpful (to me) and some aren't. The beauty is people get to decide for themselves. :)

Obviously, anyone may post their thoughts about a particular cruise ship even if they haven't yet sailed on it. The point is, however, how helpful is that to others? No offense to anyone, but I only have interest in those comments from people who HAVE sailed the particular ship.

This is what is helpful to you. Maybe some of these comments are helpful to someone else. I honestly don't care about all the posts about bringing wine onboard but I am not critical of those who post about it because it doesn't apply to me. Though, I do understand it is important to others. So just because it doesn't mean much to you, it may mean something to someone else who is considering the ship.

This is what is helpful to you. Maybe some of these comments are helpful to someone else. I honestly don't care about all the posts about bringing wine onboard but I am not critical of those who post about it because it doesn't apply to me. Though, I do understand it is important to others. So just because it doesn't mean much to you, it may mean something to someone else who is considering the ship.

Kudos! What is helpful to some is not helpful to others. People should not be critical or bash posts that do not apply to them. If you don't like the post -- move on. I like to read posts from people who have cruised a lot on what they think of new ships.

You had better hang on to that price, I just checked and a balcony is running $1599 per person over Christmas.

Just logged in again and as Coral reported, still $649 for me (I have to sign in to get this price, otherwise see higher price). I'm not intrested in this sailing as on a river cruise in Germany over that period. Was just curious and actually checked rates based upon other comments made as well as other news items stating there is a high cancellation rate on Royal. Was kind of surprised at the $649 rate having paid much more in the past in the Caribbean on 7 day cruises over Christmas.