Bringing your own wine to MDR

I don't think so. I agree that you don't need to tip on top of a corkage fee, but I don't think they'll add 15% automatically to that corkage fee.

ha ha ha ha ha

Oh, YES, they do.

I remember the first time that it happened to me.

I said, "How can you charge a gratuity on what is essentially a service charge?????"

I received a shrug in reply.

Oh, YES, they charge a gratuity on the corkage charge. I have a slip that I have been meaning to scan and post. I'll try to find it.

I'll post my experience from the last two cruises again.

On Enchantment in March we had four bottles from two cabins and were never charged a corkage in either MDR or Chops.

On Grandeur in October we brought on two bottles onboard and had third one waiting in the cabin from the TA. We were charged a corkage in Giovanni's and Chops, but not the MDR.

We had a large table for our family (13 people) on the Oasis a few weeks ago and we brought 2 bottles of wine to the MDR every night and was never charged. The waiter put the bottles on ice every night then poured during dinner.

It's very doubtful that you'll be charged.

you know everybody SWORE up on side and down the other that we would not be charged.

BOTH times.. we were charged.

so, now we drink anything we bring on board ourselves in our cabin or just pour a glass to carry. yes the corkage fee is reasonable. but when I only pay $20 for the bottle I cannot justify paying another $25. for that same price I'd rather just buy a bottle on board from the list.

ha ha ha ha ha

Oh, YES, they do.

I remember the first time that it happened to me.

I said, "How can you charge a gratuity on what is essentially a service charge?????"

I received a shrug in reply.

Oh, YES, they charge a gratuity on the corkage charge. I have a slip that I have been meaning to scan and post. I'll try to find it.

Wow. That's pretty bad - another $3.75 just for the privilege of charging you $25 to drink your own wine. I was one of the lucky ones who didn't get asked to pay corkage, when we brought a bottle to dinner.

I stand (or sit) corrected. :D

For those bringing just their bottle to the table and being charged, was it open or unopened when you arrived at the table? If it's opened already then I don't see how they can assume you haven't already been charged the fee.

If they really wanted to, they could look and see if a corkage fee had been charged to your account.

We were recently on the Spendour of the Seas. We brought a bottle of wine to dinner with us every night and were never charged a corkage fee or 15%. Our assistant waiter opened a bottle for us one night, the rest were already open.

Edited by SICruiseGirlNYC

If they really wanted to, they could look and see if a corkage fee had been charged to your account.

I'm sure they could... and that server would a) find it a horrible use of their time and b) know it might affect his tips. So it's highly unlikely that would happen.

I'm sure they could... and that server would a) find it a horrible use of their time and b) know it might affect his tips. So it's highly unlikely that would happen.

I didn't address how likely it was - you just seemed to imply they'd have no way of knowing whether you paid a fee or not.

As for how it might affect their tips...well...a passenger who is carrying around open bottles of wine for the express purpose of avoiding a corkage fee are probably not going to be the biggest tippers, anyway. :p