Duct tape and power strip?

slhb

I keep seeing these two listed on packing lists. Why the need for duct tape? We travel a lot (first cruise though) and have never needed either item. Is there an outlet by the bed? If so I think that will suffice for me. Let me know if I'm missing the obvious.

There are very few outlets in the rooms so many people take a power strip to charge camera's, phones, tablets etc. We don't take one since the phones are in the safe for the week. All we're charging is a camera battery and our daughters iPad.

I keep seeing these two listed on packing lists. Why the need for duct tape? We travel a lot (first cruise though) and have never needed either item. Is there an outlet by the bed? If so I think that will suffice for me. Let me know if I'm missing the obvious.

Solstice class ships have two American plugs and one European plug on the desk -none by the bed. As for duct tape we always carry a length wrapped around one of thise fake credit cards you get in the mail. We have yet to need it but tape would be good for silencing a noisey bureau drawer, fixing ripped luggage, or even an emergency shoe repair. Since it is you first cruise make sure you have a fresh battery in your watch as they don't sell watch batteries on the ship. (DH had his watch die on the first day of a TA and since he didn't want to buy a new expensive watch on board had to go watchless until they had their cheap-o ten dollar watch sale!)

Usually one plug by the desk and one in the bathroom. Nothing by the bed. We bring a small power strip to charge everything at once. As for duct tape, just in case your suitcase breaks maybe? We've never needed duct tape.

Uses for duct tape (yes, I've used it for all of these):

• Securing curtains to keep cabin dark for sleeping
  • Removing lint from dark clothing
  • Packing fragile souveniers - wrap in dirty laundry & secure w/duct tape
  • Temporary hemming of pants/skirt
  • Securing damaged luggage

I'm sure there are more that others will share but for every one of these things, DH has said, "Oh, THAT'S why we pack duct tape" :D

Sometimes in rough seas the drawers slide in and out! Duct tape is a simple solution!

Diane

^^^ HUH??? We've packed a power strip for as many cruises as I can remember. Did they give you a reason as to why they confiscated it? Maybe people wouldn't pack them if there were adequate power sources in the cabins!

A roll of duct tape can come in very handy as someone mentioned above. I've had to use it for temporary hemming of pants myself. I've also made flip flop repairs with it, used it to patch baggage that has been damaged and on one cruise I had a closet door that rattled and I was able to stop it by using duct tape. You can take one of those smaller rolls, not the huge industrial size roll and it takes up virtually no room and has potentially dozens of uses.

Uses for duct tape (yes, I've used it for all of these):

• Securing curtains to keep cabin dark for sleeping
  • Removing lint from dark clothing
  • Packing fragile souveniers - wrap in dirty laundry & secure w/duct tape
  • Temporary hemming of pants/skirt
  • Securing damaged luggage

I'm sure there are more that others will share but for every one of these things, DH has said, "Oh, THAT'S why we pack duct tape" :D

Nice. A couple I had not heard of before.

I have never taken a power strip with me, but am taking one on the Oasis as

I have read that apparently the outlet is in a hard to reach spot in the cabin.

I am packing it in my carry on, so if they take it from me at check in, at least

I won't have to worry about my checked bag with my clothes in it hitting the

"naughty room". :eek:

I don't like having to go down there!! :(

Edited by island lady

Add a bag of dry cement and you have the makings of a crime scene.....lol.

^^^ HUH??? We've packed a power strip for as many cruises as I can remember. Did they give you a reason as to why they confiscated it? Maybe people wouldn't pack them if there were adequate power sources in the cabins!

Power strips are not allowed. But sort of like other smuggled items, many bring them.

I was recently invited to the naughty room and noticed many power strips on the table. Along with full size irons??

Get one of these: It's what us and many other cruisers use for power strips. Also the power plug rotates 360 degrees for adapting to all the different cabin outlets.

http://www.quill.com/belkin-1-5-outlet-surge-protectors/cbs/207663.html?cm_mmc=SEM_PLA_T_207663

Edited by mdrobtx

Get one of these: It's what us and many other cruisers use for power strips. Also the power plug rotates 360 degrees for adapting to all the different cabin outlets.

http://www.quill.com/belkin-1-5-outlet-surge-protectors/cbs/207663.html?cm_mmc=SEM_PLA_T_207663

This is what we use also -- watch carefully, there are two models - the old and less expensive ones USB ports do not have enough power to charge an iPAd. The newer model does.

They are visually identical

This is what we use also -- watch carefully, there are two models - the old and less expensive ones USB ports do not have enough power to charge an iPAd. The newer model does.

They are visually identical

The new one is called the SurgePlus USB Swivel Charger (10 Watts, Combined). It's only 5 bucks more than the other, but it is worth every bit if you have an iPad.

Currently, Amazon has the 10 amp for 19 and the 5 amp for 10 (Vs 29/24 at full retail). You'll just want to search for SurgePlus USB Swivel Charger and they will be the first 2 results.

Edited by KarinaGW

Hair dryers are included in the room though, right? Is the outlet by a mirror?

Yes in both electrical formats (the room one that is...the outlet for the eRazor is over the bathroom mirror).. But, I'm pretty sure the dryer is hardwired, but I could be wrong...don't use it personally. My main impression is it taking up perfectly good drawer space.