New menus

marylizcat

I've just come off Ventura and there were MPW speciality dishes on the MDR menu on 2 of the black tie nights (first and last). I wasn't particularly impressed by either of the menus, to be honest, and they were no better than the other offerings on the normal MDR menus (which I also wasn't overly impressed with either). The MPW dishes constituted an entire menu in themselves or the individual dishes can be mixed and matched with the dishes of the regular menu.

We didn't eat in the White Room because we didn't find the menu terribly appealing and also our experience of the Dishes in the MDR didn't inspire us to try any more.

The classics menu (starters of prawn cocktail, egg mayo, tomato soup and Caesar salad; mains of sirloin steak, salmon and chicken; desserts of fruit salad and bread & butter pudding) is available alongside, and can be mixed and matched with, the regular menu that changes nightly. The steak was particularly good; as was the tomato soup. The Caesar salad was fairly good too. The bread & butter pudding was disappointing in the extreme.

This was our first time on P&O so we hadn't experienced the silver service and there seemed to be a mixed reaction about the loss of it from passengers who had sailed with them before.

That is interesting! So the MPW dishes didn't cost extra then. Some of those 'always available' items are new, like tomato soup, egg mayo and bread and butter pudding. Good to see the steak back. No always available melon starter then, like there used to be?

To me the MPW label is pretty pointless, whether in the MDR or the White Room. Just because he designed the menu. Unless he is cooking it himself or at least is in the kitchen overseeing things, it is really only as good as the people cooking the meal. I think they are just pandering to people's current obsession with TV celebrity chefs. It is just a name on the menu, that is all.

I do think that your comment is uncalled for and inappropriate if not downright nasty Wiltonian. I am only expressing an opinion and not commenting on contractual arrangements. He is after all endorsing stock pots using his name and reputation.:mad:

I was, of course, referring to the 'other people' to whom you referred, who had claimed to know the chef's payment arrangements.

Stuart

It's always seemed a bit 1930's to me, silver service. Reminds me of weddings.

What I have noticed is the number of times you are offered cabbage. Reminds me of school dinners.

Can't say I am a great fan of much of the food served in the MDR on P&O or any of the other lines in the same price bracket.

But then others I have dined with have mostly been satisfied, so it's probably me.

David

As long as Brussels Sprouts don't appear on P&O. OR do they? I cannot remember seeing them on Arcadia Worldie last year. Thank goodness !

As for silver service, I liked that, pity that British tradition has gone. The Carnival influence no doubt. What next, no knives on the table as the Americans only require forks?

Edited by NSWP

Wait until you have seen P&O's new plated system. The plates are very small and the portions given are tiny (and i mean tiny). Getting any extra is an ordeal as nothing 'extra' is available in the dinning room so you have to wait for the waiter to return to the kitchen, sort it out and return by which time the other dinners have pretty much finished their meals.

Wait until you have seen P&O's new plated system. The plates are very small and the portions given are tiny (and i mean tiny). Getting any extra is an ordeal as nothing 'extra' is available in the dinning room so you have to wait for the waiter to return to the kitchen, sort it out and return by which time the other dinners have pretty much finished their meals.

I am on Arcadia again next April in the Med, J402, I like a decent feed so shall be asking for a 'double up' if the plates/servings are minute. OR it will be soup, appetiser, salad, entrée, main, dessert and ye olde cheese board, now that is a feed.

I could be walking the gangplank before we hit the Straits of Gibraltar, LOL. No doubt about us Colonials.

Edited by NSWP

We had to change our dining routine for our cruise last month. We've always had just a good breakfast and then held off until dinner as that was enough. Last month we were having lunch or ordering a cheese board at dinner or even on a couple of times when time was tight had to go up the the buffet to top up the new 'rationed' MDR meals.

It is a pain. The previous system allowed you to have as much or as little as you liked. P&O now give you a very very small meal and it isn't easy to get hold of more. Even if you ask you don't always get and the time delay between the meal and the extras arriving is in my opinion deliberate to ensure you either 'like it or lump it.

I like chips and the 6 (it is always six chips) isn't enough. Roast dinners come with one roast potato, that's measly and not fine dining and reminds me of those daft fussy foods that were a fad back in the 80 were you paid a fortune for a couple of mouthfulls.

'Please, sir,' replied Oliver, 'I want some more.'

The master aimed a blow at Oliver's head with the ladle; pinioned him in his arm; and shrieked aloud for the beadle (head chef)

Coming soon on a P&O ship near you.

David

That is interesting! So the MPW dishes didn't cost extra then. Some of those 'always available' items are new, like tomato soup, egg mayo and bread and butter pudding. Good to see the steak back. No always available melon starter then, like there used to be?

Sorry, melon is on the always available part of the menu, I think. It's not something I'd ever order so I'd forgotten about it.

I did hear some people complain about the meagre portions but I found them to be perfectly adequate and can't say I ever left the MDR feeling hungry. And I like my grub and don't have the appetite of a sparrow either (unfortunately!)

Hands up al those like me, who have been offered cabbage with curry , pasta dishes etc? Many times!!

Should I change my name?

My hands are up! P&O seem intent on serving you all kinds of accompaniments that don't actually go with your meal! Wouldn't care if it was decent.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Hands up al those like me, who have been offered cabbage with curry , pasta dishes etc? Many times!!

Should I change my name? From Silverservice

I agree with both of you. Vegetables (often cabbage and diced carrots) put unappetisingly on your plate is best discontinued and plated food with appropriate vegetables a good improvement. It takes a lot of time serving the vegetables and P&O waiters always seem the most overworked to me.

Could be worse, you could "chance" the P&O buffet where they try and "curry" everything Thier food is god awful.

When we sail Celebrity we just order extras when we place our meal order e.g. my son really likes the sirloin steak (available on the every day menu) but it is served with jacket potato so when ordering we just ask for a plate of fries on the side and always a get a huge plate full. We also ask for a dish of extra veg at the time of ordering so no need to wait. Can you do this with P&O? Surely that would solve the problem?

When we sail Celebrity we just order extras when we place our meal order e.g. my son really likes the sirloin steak (available on the every day menu) but it is served with jacket potato so when ordering we just ask for a plate of fries on the side and always a get a huge plate full. We also ask for a dish of extra veg at the time of ordering so no need to wait. Can you do this with P&O? Surely that would solve the problem?

Might be a bit too much modern thinking for P&O I'm afraid!

We ask for extra vegetables on Princess at the beginning of the meal if we think they will be required, I'm sure you will be able do the same now on P&O.

I do think that your comment is uncalled for and inappropriate if not downright nasty Wiltonian. I am only expressing an opinion and not commenting on contractual arrangements. He is after all endorsing stock pots using his name and reputation.:mad:

Well they are excellent stock pots :)

I agree & it was also "god awful" in the MDR.

Totally agree, the MDR served the most blandest (if that's a word) "fine dining" I've had on a cruise not helped by those bought in synthetic deserts they give you.

Totally agree, the MDR served the most blandest (if that's a word) "fine dining" I've had on a cruise not helped by those bought in synthetic deserts they give you.

Oh and ok isn't good enough, it should always be much better than ok. Other cruise lines can provide decent buffet food so went doesn't P&O? The answer is that we put up with it!

Edited by mika6617

OK (Oh Kurry again)

An Aussie favourite is CURRIED SAUSAGES, can we get that on P&O ? Lubberly Jubberly with a nice and thick yellow curry sauce to accommodate the snags !

Edited by NSWP