Take upgrade and be farther from friends?

camouseketeer

A group of 9 friends and I are sailing soon on the Golden Princess. Each pair of friends booked a cabin in the aft section of the Emerald deck. Some booked mini-suites, some balconies, and some ocean views, but we all are very close to each other. My cabin mate and I booked E714, an obstructed ocean view.

Today we received an upgrade to B623, a balcony room three decks above our friends. We are the only ones to receive an upgrade. I love the idea of a larger cabin and, of course, a balcony would be lovely, but we are not sure if we should take the upgrade due to the distance from our friends.

This is my first time cruising, so I do not know if three decks makes a big difference or not. We don't have definite plans for being together every moment of the cruise, but we do plan to gather in the mini-suites each evening before dinner.

This is short trip to Ensenada, if that makes any difference.

Do the cabins have phones with which we can call each other's cabins?

So which cabin would you recommend?

Smaller E714 but closer to friends

Larger B623 with balcony but farther away from group activities

Thank you for any insight you can offer!

Take the balcony :)

While it is a large ship, it isn't that large. Enjoy! You will just be a short elevator ride away from your friends.

Yes, there are phones with voice mail.

Edited by Coral

A group of 9 friends and I are sailing soon on the Golden Princess. Each pair of friends booked a cabin in the aft section of the Emerald deck. Some booked mini-suites, some balconies, and some ocean views, but we all are very close to each other. My cabin mate and I booked E714, an obstructed ocean view.

Today we received an upgrade to B623, a balcony room three decks above our friends. We are the only ones to receive an upgrade. I love the idea of a larger cabin and, of course, a balcony would be lovely, but we are not sure if we should take the upgrade due to the distance from our friends.

This is my first time cruising, so I do not know if three decks makes a big difference or not. We don't have definite plans for being together every moment of the cruise, but we do plan to gather in the mini-suites each evening before dinner.

If you're not planning to be joined at the hip anyway (something that I wouldn't like even with close friends), it probably wouldn't matter. If you were talking about minor children, you would definitely want to turn down any moves (and even insist on "no upgrades" while booking). You'll be three decks away, so if you're hardy, you can even take the stairs or they can come down to meet you.

Each cabin does have a telephone, and that is often the way friends in separate cabins leave messages for each other. Some may bring a magnet (the cabin door is magnetized) to hold messages, but make sure it's a strong enough one and not something sentimental to you. Some may bring a small dry erase board to leave messages for cabinmates. On our last cruise, we just used paper from a notepad and a piece of tape to leave messages for our teen or each other. Our girl also knew when our dinner seating was so if she decided to eat with us, instead of her group of teens, she knew when we would be in our cabin.

If you're sure your friends don't mind (and hopefully they don't), then just decide on what you want to do after checking to see what's under and over your cabin.

No, I didn't know that. How do I find out what cabins are still available?
Call your travel agent and ask them to check. If you booked directly, call Princess. Besides discounting your fare, giving you onboard credit, etc., this is where having a travel agent can make a difference.

If you think your friends won't be happy for you, then they are not true friends! Pick the balcony!

We often travel with friends and they will always get a mini-suite. We will sometimes op for a balcony. We will sometimes be divided by decks. Never matters. You will still get to meet with them for meals and other events. Use the phones or pick a place and time to meet for each event you are doing together. Sometimes it is nice to be 'alone' for a bit from them!

Take the balcony and enjoy your cruise!

We have been on several cruises with both family and friends. If they are some place between the bow and the stern they are are close enough. We plan to get together for dinner.

We always tell them what tours we plan to take. If they are interested they can join.

Even been times when the Wife went off with them and I went off by my self.

Staying too attached can spoil the cruise.

Enjoy the experience.

Three things.....

1) How were you notified about your upgrade?

2) Can you share with us which Golden cruise?

3) CONGRATULATIONS!!! Go with the balcony!!!