Harwich Cruise Train

5onadime

I believe you'd still have to backtrack to Liverpool Street station from Stratford. Might as well just start off at Liverpool St.

The first call on the stopping services from LST to Manningtree is Stratford, so no need to go back into the City, there are direct trains. The interchange at Stratford is from low- to high-level (really it's two separate stations), but there are lifts and escalators from the Olympic refurbishment. It's not a bad option, depends on how the connections with the Harwich international trains work out. Bermondsey to Liverpool Street is a pain, taxi would be best option, in my opinion, but dealing with City traffic.

BUT I wouldn't want to be heading East on the Jubilee from Bermondsey before about 0930, as the trains will be packed (and I mean packed) with the many thousands of commuters heading to Canary Wharf.

I have done LHR to that area many times - my London apartment is near to Canada Water, the next stop on the Jubilee. My preferred route, but costly, on public transfer would be Heathrow Express to Paddington, Bakerloo line to Baker Street and Jubilee from there (it's an easy level transfer between the two lines there). If doing tube all the way, yes change at Green Park but DO NOT follow the signs to the Jubilee Line, which takes you through an awkward passage. Take the escalator following Way Out and then the escalator down to the Jubilee line from ticket hall level (but always staying inside the ticket barriers) - much easier with luggage.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

The first call on the stopping services from LST to Manningtree is Stratford, so no need to go back into the City, there are direct trains.

That's good to know - I wasn't sure if the train stopped there. I was just going by what the National Rail website was giving me as options, but as I have 'issues' getting their search engine to give me what I want:rolleyes:, it's good to have first-hand knowledge.

I personally would not take cruise luggage on the tube; it's difficult to move through the small passageways and you really get in the way of the locals trying to go to and from work.

This would be the way I would do it:

-- take the Heathrow Express from the airport to Paddington

-- take a cab from Paddington to your hotel (flat)

-- use the tube for sight-seeing

-- take a cab to Liverpool Street Station

-- take a regular train to Harwich

-- take the return train Harwich to Liverpool Street Station

-- take a cab to a hotel near Paddington

-- take the Heathrow Express back to Heathrow

What you save by not taking the "Cruise Train" you can use to pay for Taxi Cabs.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Very useful information, indeed, and thanks so much!!!

Okay, flat is located east of Tower Bridge, not too far from Bermondsey. Perhaps a cab to Liverpool would be the best option. Although OP states transfer from Jubilee to train is an option, I'm leaning towards the cab. Should I expect any problem in calling a cab to my location in a residential area and, approximately, how much time and fare should I expect to Liverpool?

Really useful info for the inbound portion, too. I plan to avoid early morning rush traffic. I understand the tube's space limitations and certainly don't want to be in the way. Do you think the tube from LHR would be okay if I'm using late morning, say 10-11am? I haven't checked yet, but where does the Express depart from at LHR? Likely, I'll be at terminal 4. Again, the cab question of approximate time and expense from Paddington to the Bermondsey area?

As for the cruise return--since I'm spending the night at a LHR hotel before flying out the next day, I'm considering the dedicated cruise bus to LHR. I don't know much about the cruise bus, other than the bus operates on port days only and can be somewhat lengthy depending on traffic, but I have the time. I assume one can do one way and not just round trip, but I'll have to check into that further, along with cost as it compares with the return routing you provided.

For now, discerning the different travel cards -- Rail, London Pass with Travel, and Oyster -- and which one would work best for our trip, is taking up most of my available brain data space! :eek:

Okay, flat is located east of Tower Bridge, not too far from Bermondsey. Perhaps a cab to Liverpool would be the best option. Although OP states transfer from Jubilee to train is an option, I'm leaning towards the cab. Should I expect any problem in calling a cab to my location in a residential area and, approximately, how much time and fare should I expect to Liverpool?

Really useful info for the inbound portion, too. I plan to avoid early morning rush traffic. I understand the tube's space limitations and certainly don't want to be in the way. Do you think the tube from LHR would be okay if I'm using late morning, say 10-11am? I haven't checked yet, but where does the Express depart from at LHR? Likely, I'll be at terminal 4. Again, the cab question of approximate time and expense from Paddington to the Bermondsey area?

As for the cruise return--since I'm spending the night at a LHR hotel before flying out the next day, I'm considering the dedicated cruise bus to LHR. I don't know much about the cruise bus, other than the bus operates on port days only and can be somewhat lengthy depending on traffic, but I have the time. I assume one can do one way and not just round trip, but I'll have to check into that further, along with cost as it compares with the return routing you provided.

For now, discerning the different travel cards -- Rail, London Pass with Travel, and Oyster -- and which one would work best for our trip, is taking up most of my available brain data space! :eek:

LHR is at the beginning of the Picadilly tube line, so there should be plenty of space for you and your luggage. And the cars on the Picadilly line are made for people with luggage. Really, the main challenge is the transfer, but if you don't mind going up stairs/escalators with your luggage, I honestly think the tube is the way to go rather than Heathrow Express/taxi - and this is from a person who loves the HEX, but it really goes to the wrong side of town for you.

I will say I'm not big on the cruise bus from Harwich to LHR - unless you're arriving back on a Saturday or Sunday, you'll be stuck in traffic, and you'll still have to get from LHR to any hotel you're staying at - and do you really want to be stuck at a LHR hotel all day? Even if you don't do any major sightseeing, just being able to wander about somewhere in Central London would be better, unless you're a dedicated plane-spotter (in which case I highly recommend the Jurys Inn at T4 - excellent view of planes taking off/landing). Heck, even if you do decide to stay at LHR, I'd take the train to Central London and then either cab-HEX, or if you feel like trying the tube route again take the Central line from Liverpool St. to Holborn where you can transfer to the Picadilly Line to LHR.

As for transport passes - get an Oyster card at the LHR tube station.

That's good to know - I wasn't sure if the train stopped there. I was just going by what the National Rail website was giving me as options, but as I have 'issues' getting their search engine to give me what I want:rolleyes:, it's good to have first-hand knowledge.

The trains that connect most conveniently with the Harwich service don't stop at Stratford, but there are other services from LST to Manningtree that won't show up if you do an LST-Harwich search. If you see what I mean :)

With tight connections I sometimes search both legs separately, so I can decide what's best for me, rather than rely on their otherwise good search engine!

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

My top tip - try to get out of the North American habit of dropping Street etc from addresses! A cab from Bermondsey to Liverpool will take most of the day and cost several hundred pounds as to us that means the city in the north west of England. You want Liverpool Street and in this case more precisely Liverpool Street station :)

You should have no problem getting a cab - they won't be as frequent as right in the centre, but this is still a pretty busy neighbourhood. Without knowing exactly where you will be, I can't say if I'd go to hail a black cab on the street or call a minicab service, but hopefully the apartment people can advise. I suspect you will be just off one of the main routes toward the City, so you'll find black cabs heading back in or starting work. There's also a direct bus (number 47) to Liverpool Street, but that's the worst option!

The trains that connect most conveniently with the Harwich service don't stop at Stratford, but there are other services from LST to Manningtree that won't show up if you do an LST-Harwich search. If you see what I mean :)

With tight connections I sometimes search both legs separately, so I can decide what's best for me, rather than rely on their otherwise good search engine!

I found the same thing - the timing of trains from Liverpool Street didn't tie in with those from Stratford.

Only when I searched the calling-points did I see that the hourly on-the-hour trains don't stop at Stratford. Stratford is served only by the slower "stopping" train. The extra stops, and the extra 15 minute wait at Manningtree to connect with the Harwich train makes the journey about 25 minutes longer.

So an easier tube transfer to Stratford or a quicker train journey from Liverpool Street - you pays your money & you makes your choice.

Me? I'd take a $20 cab ride from apartment to Liverpool Street station.:)

BTW, from Heathrow to Bermondsey the tube is by far the cheapest at £6 per person. And a tube train every five minutes (every ten mins from T4 or T5).

Boarding at Heathrow is easy - there's only one line (Piccadilly line) & only one direction. And you board at the start of the train's journey, so no problem getting a seat & parking your luggage next to you.

Just the one change, to the Jubilee line, at Green Park. But that's the only station you can make a single change. Anyone know how easy that change with luggage?

Or is there a better route with luggage?

(Bermondsey is listed as wheelchair friendly, so presumably also luggage-friendly)

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf

JB :)

Just the one change, to the Jubilee line, at Green Park. But that's the only station you can make a single change. Anyone know how easy that change with luggage?

Or is there a better route with luggage?

(Bermondsey is listed as wheelchair friendly, so presumably also luggage-friendly)

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf

JB :)

I described it in detail in post #26 :)

The Tube from LHR to your location in Bermondsey would be very inexpensive (£ 6), however, it will take 80 minutes with a bunch of stops and one train change. Round trip(in the UK, called a "Return") on the Heathrow Express is £ 34, but it only takes 15 minutes to get into central London at Paddington Station. The Cab would be £ 23 and take 24 minutes to get to your location in Bermondsey. The drivers are brilliant and know every location in London!!

You can take the train back to Liverpool Street Station and since you are in no hurry, maybe try the tube to Paddington and board the Heathrow Express back to the airport. Your hotel may have a shuttle?? I would still take a cab from Liverpool Street Station to Paddington, but I love London's taxi service. Just for the heck of it, you might contact Smith's For Airports and get a quote for car service from Harwich to your hotel by the airport. For sure, check with your roll call group and see if anyone wants to share a car!

http://www.smithsforairports.com/index.html

Good Luck!

Kel:)

The Tube from LHR to your location in Bermondsey would be very inexpensive (£ 6), however, it will take 80 minutes with a bunch of stops and one train change. Round trip(in the UK, called a "Return") on the Heathrow Express is £ 34, but it only takes 15 minutes to get into central London at Paddington Station. The Cab would be £ 23 and take 24 minutes to get to your location in Bermondsey. The drivers are brilliant and know every location in London!!

Curly-Q is arriving at T4 so will need to take the HEX shuttle to Heathrow Central and change for the train to London, so it will take them longer than 15 minutes. 80 minutes on the tube to Bermondsey seems pessimistic (based on my experience of living near the next tube stop :)) I don't think time factors into this - allowing for waiting times and delays, all ways of doing it are more or less the same. Cost and convenience should be the deciding factors.

Curly-Q is arriving at T4 so will need to take the HEX shuttle to Heathrow Central and change for the train to London, so it will take them longer than 15 minutes. 80 minutes on the tube to Bermondsey seems pessimistic (based on my experience of living near the next tube stop :)) I don't think time factors into this - allowing for waiting times and delays, all ways of doing it are more or less the same. Cost and convenience should be the deciding factors.

Oops! CE you are correct. This past summer we came into Terminal 5 on BA, so that was just a walk downstairs to the Heathrow Express. It's been a few years since we used the Tube from the airport to Central London, so I used the Tube website to give me that 80 minute time. Our timing this past summer was perfect -- customs; Heathrow Express; Paddington station to the Taxi Queue; arriving at our hotel near Russell Square. (Seems like from customs to our hotel was about 45 minutes)

Certainly the Tube would be less expensive!:)

Enjoy!

Kel

On June 4 Terminal 2 opens at Heathrow when 20 airlines will be moving from their existing terminal.

We are going in May, so I guess Heathrow will be as it is now.

Thanks so much to everyone for your transportation info. We have made reservations for 3 nights pre-cruise at a B&B near Victoria Station, so I think we can take the tube there. I know we will need to change lines, but I think we can do it.

I hope we can get the Oyster card at Heathrow. Since we will have 3 days to sightsee, we will need it. Depending on our experience traveling on the train from Heathrow, we will decide if we should take the tube to Liverpool Street Station or take a cab on sailing day.

Thanks again for the advice and links. I feel better about it now.

Ava

Since we will have 3 days to sightsee, we will need it. Depending on our experience traveling on the train from Heathrow, we will decide if we should take the tube to Liverpool Street Station or take a cab on sailing day.

Good plan. One point also, which I'm not sure you would realize, is that Google Street View also now includes the inside of Liverpool Street station, so you can use it to 'explore' and get your bearings, so to speak.

On June 4 Terminal 2 opens at Heathrow when 20 airlines will be moving from their existing terminal.

I wonder if Delta will move? Our plans are after the opening, so that might have some bearing on our plans. We'd planned to stay at the T-4 Hilton before departure, so I may have to re-think that should Delta change terminals.

I wonder if Delta will move? Our plans are after the opening, so that might have some bearing on our plans. We'd planned to stay at the T-4 Hilton before departure, so I may have to re-think that should Delta change terminals.

No, you're fine, Delta are staying put in T4. Full list of moves here:

http://www.heathrowairport.com/flight-information/airline-moves

• 3 months later...

This is a most helpful post.

Question: We are staying near Victoria Station and plan to purchase an oyster card at Heathrow and ride the tube to Victoria Station. I read somewhere that the best places to change lines is Hammersmith or Barons Court. Which of these would be easiest with our luggage (1 piece each).

Also, we plan to take the regular train on sailing day to Harwich. We don't have mobility problems, but being from the suburbs in the US, we are not accustom to tube/train travel and all it entails. I don't think we will have a problem changing trains at Manningtree if it is a matter of going down 1 flight and up 1 another flight of stairs. I assume there is clear signage and the station isn't large.

Question: Is it possible to get a train ticket from Liverpool Street Station to Harwich on cruise day (Monday, May 12) or do we need to get it in advance? Also, how far in advance should we purchase them? Do the trains get full and do prices rise the closer it gets to travel day?

I would love to think we could take the tube from Victoria to the Liverpool Street Station, but it is a Monday and I am afraid it would be too crowded and difficult with our luggage. So, does anyone know about how much the taxi fare would be? I know they have a surcharge if called, but are taxis easy to get without calling one? We are staying on Belgrave.

I still believe the taxi/train combo would be cheaper, faster and almost as easy as the toolkit bus at 59 pounds per person.

Thanks again for your help.

Ava