Carnival Guy Booked Oasis! Some Questions

hales1284

Hey guys and gals I'm a Carnival guy and I just couldn't resist the spectacular looking Oasis of the Seas. I've had the pleasure of seeing her several times while on tours with Carnival and each time I've found myself in awe. I've always desired to book a tour on her however I'm somewhat a creature of habit and making the switch proved difficult. My experience with Carnival has been positive and I've become very loyal to the company during the course of the past ten years. Lately however cruising with Carnival has become stale, the same old same old.

Now even after all that I still originally booked another tour with Carnival. Then one day while sitting on the couch watching television a Royal Caribbean commercial came on highlighting the WOW factors of their ships. My girlfriend and I looked at each other and said that looks like fun. That's when the research began and I kept saying to myself maybe next year. But I couldn't stop looking at all the videos and photos of Oasis and finally I decided to call my travel agent and cancel the Carnival sailing and book with Royal.

I'm sailing on Feb. 8th, 2014 on an Eastern Caribbean tour. I've been to all of the islands with Carnival. Quite frankly I'm not wild about the stops (especially Nassau) however it was the week I had off and I couldn't change it. I have some questions about how Royal Caribbean operates and if any of you veterans could answer them I'd be grateful.

I'm flying in the day before my cruise and I either will catch a cab to the pier or utilize my hotel's shuttle. Generally when I sail with Carnival they recommend getting to the pier at 1pm however I've always gone around 10:30AM and got on the ship rather quickly. My last cruise in fact I was on the ship in about 20 minutes.

Are the suggested arrival times posted by Royal Caribbean concrete or will the line begin boarding once the ship is readied from the previous tour?

Now since I have become an elite member with Carnival my room was ready upon arrival and my luggage delivered within 2 hours. I obviously don't expect this treatment being a first time cruiser with Royal.

Generally what time are the rooms on Oasis ready by and how long should I expect to wait for my luggage? I would like to plan accordingly if I won't receive my luggage by dinner service and pack extra clothes in my carry on.

Oasis is a grand ship with more passengers than any other vessel and what concerns me is debarkation from the ship during ports of call. I have always been able to disembark Carnival ships fairly quickly and I'm wondering if Oasis' size causes bottlenecks or lengthily lines. Should I allow for additional time if I plan on making shore excursion arrangements?

Additionally I've booked a return flight home from FLL which departs at 1:57PM and I'm assuming that should leave me more than enough to disembark the ship. My question is on the last morning of the cruise will breakfast services be available on the ship or should I plan on making other arrangements?

Also what is debarkation like on Oasis? Is it called by deck, by zone, another system entirely?

Finally I plan on exploring the ship thoroughly however any additional incite that can be provided on can't miss items I'd truly appreciate it. With a ship as large as Oasis I'm sure things can easily be missed on the first go around.

Any other tips or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!

-James

Great questions...I'm sailing on Oasis for the first time next August.

Looking forward to some answers by some vets.

If I may answer your second question, based on my limited experience with RC, rooms are usually ready by 1PM and luggage should be delivered by 5pm. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

With the exception of my last Carnival cruise, my luggage usually was delivered either just before or after muster drill.

Are the suggested arrival times posted by Royal Caribbean concrete or will the line begin boarding once the ship is readied from the previous tour?

Generally what time are the rooms on Oasis ready by and how long should I expect to wait for my luggage? I would like to plan accordingly if I won't receive my luggage by dinner service and pack extra clothes in my carry on.

I'm wondering if Oasis' size causes bottlenecks or lengthily lines. Should I allow for additional time if I plan on making shore excursion arrangements?

My question is on the last morning of the cruise will breakfast services be available on the ship or should I plan on making other arrangements?

Also what is debarkation like on Oasis? Is it called by deck, by zone, another system entirely?

Finally I plan on exploring the ship thoroughly however any additional incite that can be provided on can't miss items I'd truly appreciate it. With a ship as large as Oasis I'm sure things can easily be missed on the first go around.

-James

We have only sailed Oasis once (but it was a B2B so I guess twice). I agree the ports are nothing fantastic. On Nassau go snorkeling if you like that or just hit the beach. St. Thomas and Saint Martin are fun but I have been there a lot (I suspect you have too).

We arrived at 11 AM and were on the ship by 11:30. As long as the ship clears in a timely fashion you should have a simialr experience. Despite the hoards of people boarding, they have a very good system for getting you through boarding quickly.

The cabins should be available by 1 PM. Luggage is more hit or miss. I sometimes get my bags before 3 PM and occasionally (I think once in many cruises) they show up after 5 PM. If you don't get your luggage, don't sweat about going to the MDR dressed as you boarded.

The ship is huge but they do a good job of distributing people so it does not feel that crowded. We went in summer and because there were lots of kids filling every 4 person cabin the ship seemed a bit crowded during certain events. You are going in February so crowding should not be a problem at all. Of course when they have 70s night on the promenade you can't avoid a big crowd but that is part of the fun. There was a bit of a line for shore excursions so try to pre-book those if possible. Also be sure to prebook your shows. If you change your mind at the last minute you can just show up at a different time and probably get in. The only exception is the comedy club since it is fairly small.

On the last morning you wil have your choice of breakfast in the MDR or the Windjammer buffet. Last morning breakfast is sort of a quickie affair with fewer choices in the MDR so don't make that your only breakfast there if you can avoid it.

Departure is by zone. If you want to carry your own luggage off then you can get off first (you need to sign up for this). Otherwise you will get numbered and color coded luggage tags. They will announce groups to get off the ship based on luggage tag you have. They will assing you a place to wait with others with the same tag. It works pretty well. If you have an earlier flight make sure you ask for a lower tag number so you can get off as early as possible.

Not to miss:

Central Park and the Park Cafe. If you stop by in the evening, they have chamber music. Very relaxing.

The diving show in the Aqua Theater They also do a comedy version of the show.

The Ice Skating show. Amazing what they can do on that small rink!

Hairspray (unless you have seen it before and did not like it).

The comedy club. Can be ribald but that is modern comedy!

Breakfast in Johnny Rockets. I thought they served a nice breakfast there and it was free.

Zipline. Do it at least once but don't wait for the last day or there will be a line.

The 70s show in the Promenade. Love and Marriage Game show and of course, the Quest (adult scavenger hunt).

They also had an improv workshop in the comedy club that was pretty good and they had an improv night down in the skating rink (not on ice) the last night that was a lot of fun.

Finally, please accept that it is difficult to do EVERYTHING on Oasis in a single week. That is why we did it as a B2B. It made it much more relaxed. So don't sweat it if you can't cram it all in!

Edited by eel

Just to add a few things.

To emphasize PRE-BOOK shows. That is very important. But as mentioned, you can always standby if you want to go at a different time.

Don't miss the Ice Show. In fact don't miss any show. The entertainment is top notch.

Ride the "Rising Tide" bar. You'll find it on the Promenade

There are "secret balconies" at the back end of deck 11 and 12. All the way aft and out the door. Great to watch sailaway, and they usually do a sailaway party at the Aqua Theater, and you can watch it if you want. It's also a quiet area to relax if you're looking for one.

Roast Beef Sandwich in Park Cafe in Central Park.

Walk through Central Park at night.

If you're thinking of specialty restaurants, Giovanni's is nice for lunch (for dinner too). It's cheaper and food is good.

Johnnie Rockets.. $4.95 but great burgers.

Flow riders....

As for debarkation, it is very quick. We were off the ship in 45 minutes and that included about a 10 minute stoppage. We didn't "carry off." We did get at porter and he expedites somewhat through customs. Definitely worth the tip money. But you'll have NO problem making a 1:57 flight. In fact you'll be at FLL way early.

I have done 4 Carnival and 16 Royal Caribbean cruises. There is a reason for that. Carnival is fun and I think the food is as good or better. The pizza definitely is better on Carnival. But I love the whole "experience" of Royal. You will notice a definite "luxury" feel to Royal ships compared to the more "glitzy" feel of Carnival ships. Read the reviews, take them with a "grain of salt," and have reasonable expectations and you'll love the cruise. You'll definitely be amazed by Oasis. In fact since you've been to the islands, stay on the ship. It's a great way for you to see the ship while the crowd is in shore.

Have fun.

Welcome! I think you will love Oasis, just don't compare and say Carnival does this, Carnival does that, b/c it is hard when you get use to a certain line. The others gave great advice, one mentioned reservations and please pre-book, you usually don't have to prebook shows on other rccl ship but w/ this one, you'll be glad you do, you can call rccl or go online. You can go online now and get an idea of what times the show will be so you kinda have your schedule written down b/f they get booked up. Don't forget the Quest, it is so funny! Also, if you like rccl, buy a "next cruise cert or future cruise credit" they keep changing the name and you'll get 100 dep and 100 obc automatically. :)

We sailed on the Allure (Oasis' sister ship) after 9 consecutive Carnival cruises and after being Platinum on them since 2008. Believe me, you will be absolutely amazed on Oasis. You may even be on the ship faster than when using priority embarkation on Carnival!

Feel free to click on my Allure of the Seas review (the link is below in my signature). I hope it answers some of your questions and it gives you an idea of what to expect, from the perspective of a Carnival Platinum cruiser. Differences between Oasis and Allure are minimal.

I'd like to put some of your concerns about bottlenecks, long lines and lengthy waits at rest. There are NONE. I've experienced worse lines on Fantasy class ships on Carnival. Yes, Oasis and Allure carry considerably more passengers, but they are also much larger. And this is where you will notice one of the biggest differences between Carnival and Royal: Ship Design. Oasis and Allure are designed to handle crowds. We had and 11:45am return flight and we arrived at the airport with hours to kill. Debarkation is silent (look at the electronic monitors throughout the ship and in your cabin). Embarkation and debarkation were some of the smoothest I have ever experienced.

About the itinerary, yes they are not the most thrilling, but keep in mind that this vacation will be mostly about the ship. Destinations will be secondary. We ended up choosing Allure instead of Oasis (sailing the same week) because I refused to go to Nassau. The Western itinerary gave us two ports I had never been to (Falmouth and Labadee). Labadee turned out to be heaven on earth! :D

Did you look at Allure for the same week?

Edited by Tapi

Hey guys and gals I'm a Carnival guy and I just couldn't resist the spectacular looking Oasis of the Seas. I've had the pleasure of seeing her several times while on tours with Carnival and each time I've found myself in awe. I've always desired to book a tour on her however I'm somewhat a creature of habit and making the switch proved difficult. My experience with Carnival has been positive and I've become very loyal to the company during the course of the past ten years. Lately however cruising with Carnival has become stale, the same old same old.

Now even after all that I still originally booked another tour with Carnival. Then one day while sitting on the couch watching television a Royal Caribbean commercial came on highlighting the WOW factors of their ships. My girlfriend and I looked at each other and said that looks like fun. That's when the research began and I kept saying to myself maybe next year. But I couldn't stop looking at all the videos and photos of Oasis and finally I decided to call my travel agent and cancel the Carnival sailing and book with Royal.

I'm sailing on Feb. 8th, 2014 on an Eastern Caribbean tour. I've been to all of the islands with Carnival. Quite frankly I'm not wild about the stops (especially Nassau) however it was the week I had off and I couldn't change it. I have some questions about how Royal Caribbean operates and if any of you veterans could answer them I'd be grateful.

I'm flying in the day before my cruise and I either will catch a cab to the pier or utilize my hotel's shuttle. Generally when I sail with Carnival they recommend getting to the pier at 1pm however I've always gone around 10:30AM and got on the ship rather quickly. My last cruise in fact I was on the ship in about 20 minutes.

Now since I have become an elite member with Carnival my room was ready upon arrival and my luggage delivered within 2 hours. I obviously don't expect this treatment being a first time cruiser with Royal.

Oasis is a grand ship with more passengers than any other vessel and what concerns me is debarkation from the ship during ports of call. I have always been able to disembark Carnival ships fairly quickly and I'm wondering if Oasis' size causes bottlenecks or lengthily lines. Should I allow for additional time if I plan on making shore excursion arrangements?

Additionally I've booked a return flight home from FLL which departs at 1:57PM and I'm assuming that should leave me more than enough to disembark the ship. My question is on the last morning of the cruise will breakfast services be available on the ship or should I plan on making other arrangements?

-James

I will try no to repeat any of the answers you already have but here are a few thing I don't think has been covered . I do think the comedy club on carnival is better than rc but that is the ONLY thing I would say they have better. rather than wait in line for excursions you can find everything you need on the tv and in fact book them from the tv. in addition check you account as often as you like . every hall way has an interactive screen that serves as a map . it will even tell you how busy a particular restaurant is (% of capacity) although not always accurate. any time I hear st Thomas I thing of the coral world helmet dive it was awesome a little pricey but well worth it. I am going on her in march I feel the ship is a destination of its own. once you sail her it will be tough to get on another carnival good luck and happy cruising Edited by help04me

Welcome to RC James, I am also a Carnival convert and there are pluses and minuses to both lines. They both do well. I have nothing against Carnival but I am building up my points with RC right now. I sail for the ships, not the ports because I have seen most of them. The biggest difference is CoCo Cay, RC's private island. It is such a relaxing beach day and have pretty good snorkeling, not world class, but I enjoy it. Even when I boarded my first RC ship they handled embarkation well, after your first cruise even gold members get priority boarding. I am anxious to hear what you think of the Oasis because I am on the Allure in October. I am a big fan of the Freedom class ships but I just couldn't resist trying one of the bigger ones. I like to board early too and have never waited long to get on the ship. I have read posts from others who generally think they do a good job getting that many people on board in a short amount of time.

We have arrived at 10:30AM and were on by 10:40. In all of our cruises, it was the fastest time by far from curb to ship. Rooms are ready at 1:00PM and usually our luggage has never been later than 3:00PM. We found that Liberty felt MUCH more crowded than Oasis and we actually found ourselves looking for people! With the way the ship is set up into neighborhoods, you rarely experience any lines or crowds. She is an unbelievable ship... Once we went on her, it's hard to go on anything else. Be sure to see Hairspray. DH and I were reluctant bc it didn't seem like our thing and we LOVED it. Entertainment was top notch, the aqua theatre show was AMAZING. Enjoy yourselves!

Hey guys and gals I'm a Carnival guy and I just couldn't resist the spectacular looking Oasis of the Seas. ...............

I will enjoy adding my 3 cents

Go ahead and get there at 10:30. There is a chance you will have to wait some, but the place is comfortable and most people are getting on board by shortly after 11. This terminal will spoil you. The suite people and upper tier of RCs will board ahead of you, but it will go quick. In two times on Allure I have been on board by 11:30.

Your room will be ready about 1pm. We always take our swimsuits in a carry on, eat lunch, and hang out by our favorite pool, The Beach Pool, and then wait till 1pm. Being a first timer, that time till 1pm will go by fast, there is a lot to explore.

Since they only go to docked piers and use 2 big gangways this goes pretty quick. We have not had any problems getting off Allure. The only real lines are security if you get back to the ship in the last 30 minutes.

No problem. My personal recommendation is dining in the main dining room the last morning, it is very relaxed and less stressful than trying to eat in the Windjammer. Many people have breakfast there everyday, but I save it for the last day.

The process is pretty remarkable in its efficiency. They break up passengers by when their flight out is and a couple of other reasons. You can always go to Guest Services (long lines here) and change your time. Everyone is off by around 10am, so anything you get will probably work.

Study the ship plans and you can find easy ways to get around. Look for alternatives routes. I love sharing info about this class of ship and will keep an eye on the thread. I know many have been on these ships more than me. I read most reviews and will look forward to reading yours if you do one.

All I can say is after Oasis your Carnival days are over...

That was one of the things that I feared after sailing on Allure since we planned on taking the Carnival Dream 5 months later. How am I EVER going to set foot on a Carnival ship after that experience???

To my relief, we had a wonderful time on the Dream. Definitely a couple of notches below the Allure, but still a wonderful experience. To my surprise, I actually found things where the Dream excelled over the Allure! :eek:, but in all honesty, if I had to pick between the two, I'd be on the Allure again! :D

Edited by Tapi

• 1 month later...

To the OP, I see your cruise is fast approaching. Please do come back and post your thoughts afterwards, as I am in the same boat as you, a platinum Carnival cruiser who is looking to try the Oasis for 2014.

I have seen lots of reviews of the Oasis/Allure western itinerary but few about the eastern. DH doesn't like western for whatever reason, so we will probably go with the eastern itinerary as well, even though the western dates would actually work better for celebrating our 10th anniversary and to use our air miles we'll have to stay a day in Florida after debarkation because of a blackout date. It's almost as if the cruise gods are trying to tell us to go a week earlier, but DH is pretty adamant.

Anyway, we have been to Nassau so many times we don't even bother to get off the ship anymore (probably even less incentive to do so on the Oasis with so much to see onboard). We just got back from St. Thomas, but we like it there (especially if we find a beach that isn't too crowded--loved Emerald Beach last month), and we haven't been to St. Maarten in a few years and wouldn't mind going back there for sure. We are thinking of going over to Maho and see the planes land from the beach bar this time.

I'll be looking to see what you thought about the Oasis itself. Bon voyage, and I won't tell anyone at Carnival if you won't, LOL. ;)

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is stop in the jazz club one night early in your cruise. Since it's down on deck 4 by the comedy club it often gets missed by many until late in their cruise. My brother and I found it the 2nd night and were nightly regulars after that. It depends of course on the quality of the band on your sailing (Ours, the Katia Labbozzetta led quartet was awesome). Many people in our group who we convinced to come try it over the course of the week usually commented that they wish they'd have known about it earlier.

When you get on board go directly to deck 8 and have a roast beef Sandwich at the Park cafe. Much better lunch than the buffet at wind Jammer. You can go to buffet afterwards and compare.

Try a cupcake from the Cupcake cupboard. Really big, share it, there is an extra expense, but worth every bite.

Must try the flow rider. Or at least watch others. When a young girl in a bikini is on it without a t-shirt? You won't want to miss it. lol

When you go back on a RCI ship- must try Labadee (private beach)

They have the best Zip line over water. Really cool.

Nicest beach day/bar b que.

Have fun

My previous post on things that are easy to miss:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=39873068#post39873068

From there:

• Decks 12-14 aft on both sides have public decks with chairs; the area overlooks the aqua theater and rear of the ship. Take either aft stateroom corridor (start from aft elevator area) to reach (the decks are on both sides). Pretend you are in your own Aqua Theater suite.
  • Deck 6 aft (Boardwalk) has stairwells that go down on each side of the aqua theater (far rear of the deck, past the stairwells that go up to the rock climbing wall). These stairs lead down to the rear of the jogging track, which has chairs available overlooking the rear of the ship so you can watch the wake. Very quiet area, unless an aqua theater show is going on as you are behind the theater.
  • The shuffleboard courts are behind the aqua theater screens on deck 6 aft (Boardwalk).
  • Deck 14 forward has a large viewing area with spotting scopes; you can see it from the Solarium. Take the port (left) stateroom corridor (start at the forward elevator area) to reach it.
  • Want to see the front of the ship where the helipad is? Either A) Get invited to the private sail away party (not sure how this is done; may be a top tier event of some sort) or B) Take the yoga class; they hold it out there. That deck is not open to the public.
  • When in the promenade, near the center, look up for a ring in the ceiling (it will be in between two ceiling panels). During the two parades this is where the harness is attached for the acrobat. If seeing the acrobat up close interests you, sit near this hook. You will need to show up a good 25+ minutes early if you want to claim a front row spot. I don't have a picture of where it is, but others might. Just search for pictures of the acrobat performing during the parades.
  • The comedy club is small and books up faster than anything else, at least when I was on the second week of August. It was fully booked before we even got on the boat, the only item that was.
  • You only need to show up about 15-20 minutes early to get your choice of prime seats for the various shows. Front row requires 20+ minutes early.
  • If you have a little kid and think they may be interested sit in the front row corners of the ice rink on either side (seats on either side; not the rows straight ahead when you enter the ice rink). They pull kids sitting there to ride in little things (swans? can't remember) during part of one act. Think of the seating as a U; you want to sit in the lower left and right arms of the U.
  • Try Park Cafe (Central Park) at least once for breakfast and lunch. Once you do, you may make it your regular spot for both.
  • Some pools are fresh water, some are salt. One is zero entry (gentle slope rather than steep sides).
  • Want to ride the flowrider over and over with minimal wait time? Do it on a port day; I stayed on the ship one day and only had to share it with 3-4 people.

Do the luggage valet for your departure. Once you put your luggage out on the last night, the next time you see it will be in your destination airport. It's $20 PP, and worth every penny.

Carol

Is it $20 regardless of how many bags you have?

It looks like other posters have taken care of most of your questions. I'm also a former CCL die hard that switched over. I still cruise them occasionally, bit RCI gets the lion's share of my business now. Their past guest program, especially at the Diamond level and above, it's vastly superior to Carnival's. I also think Royal's ships are quite a bit nicer. I do miss a few things from CCL though. On the Ecstasy last month I had a warm chocolate melting cake every night, and a lobster tail on a four night cruise just because I can't get them on Royal.

I think you're going to love the Oasis. I had an awesome time on Allure (her twin sister) a couple of years ago. Carnival (nor any other cruise line) has nothing that can even come close to it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

To the OP. Please come back and report how you liked the Oasis class. When you first walk on the ship you are in the Royal Promenade. Please give us your impressions. I am going to mark this thread as a favourite so I can remeber you CC ID and will look forward to reading about your thoughts. Enjoy!!!

Also, if you really want to see the entire ship you can view my (less than perfect)

It touches on all the public areas, including those "harder to find" mentioned in my earlier post in this thread. I don't narrate it, but I do put some text on the screen to explain some things. At the very least you'll get an idea of the true size of the ship as the video is rather long, but reflects how long it would take to visit each public area on the ship.