The New Celebrity Captains Club is Here!

danrad

Putter, we all understand your specific situation. What some of us are trying to say and what Celebrity has already said is, it was too easy to make Elite. You are a perfect example of this. Under the old system it was too easy to reach a level where the perks were not that bad. The new system forces people like you and the new customers to be loyal longer to get nice perks. We had 47 cruise credits when the new system took over. If you had 10, should you and I be put into the same level of loyality? Better yet, whoever reads this, please give your opinion.

ITA! ...and also wonder how you feel about the bonus points.

Putter, we all understand your specific situation. What some of us are trying to say and what Celebrity has already said is, it was too easy to make Elite. You are a perfect example of this. Under the old system it was too easy to reach a level where the perks were not that bad. The new system forces people like you and the new customers to be loyal longer to get nice perks. We had 47 cruise credits when the new system took over. If you had 10, should you and I be put into the same level of loyality? Better yet, whoever reads this, please give your opinion.

You are correct that it was too easy to become Elite. I hate the fact that people taking 4/5 night cruises were getting the same points as us taking 10/11 night cruises.

But having said that I'm not that happy with the new way points are accrued either.

Seems it went from to easy to now to hard. We would NEVER be Elite + if Celebrity had been using this system all along.

So I guess I should just thank my lucky stars (and keep my big mouth shut) that we started sailing Celebrity in 2002 and already had enough cruise credits when the transition occurred making us Elite +.

Unless we hit the MegaMillions tonight we will never reach Zenith level.

We do long transatlantic sailings. Last years westbound Equinox TA had 1100 Elites onboard. The Sky Lounge was a mess! Way too many people. This years westbound TA on the Reflection had just as many, but we were issued vouchers. The few times we were in the Sky Lounge, there were seats for almost everyone. And, that Sky Lounge is quite a bit smaller because of the suites added on the port ship to that ship.

Which is exactly why I said it ha lost it's charm...and then got bashed for saying such a thing.

I agree that Elite has been too easy to reach and Celebrity needed to do something especially given the generous benefits. I think it would be nice, however, that for a very short window such as for anyone with paid cruises as of the time of the announced change, they could get those "bonus" points aggregated. After all, they may have made a decision to cruise some extra cruises to reach the Elite status and now it is basically too late for them to cancel. That could open up a new set of complaints, however, so it would have to be a short window with well-defined parameters.

Kathy

Your point is completely valid but it also illustrates the exact point so many people have tried to make.

Celebrity DID define parameters and apply bonus points to those who were very close to Elite within those parameters. It appears that the parameters were people who were within what Celebrity considered close with 1 or 2 cruises at certain levels of cabin category. That resulted in the types of unhappy cruisers we now see. If they had widened it to those who had paid but were beyond the penalty date, a new group would be focused on how they were discriminated against. And no matter how much they did, there would be some group who got upset.

There was no way to make everyone happy and they made the decision that was in their best interests. In my opinion, Celebrity considered many options and are willing to lose the business of a relative few people whose definition of loyalty is quite different from theirs.

I'm sure there were multiple meetings where the gist of the conversation was "How do we best leverage the cost involved in the Captain's Club and pi$$ off the fewest people who are most likely to cruise with us in the future".

I would bet that someone in Putterdude's situation was considered as only a potentially loyal customer who was working a system that the company felt was too generous and they are willing to risk losing his future business. That sounds harsh, but a company is willing to spend more money on long-term, demonstrated loyalty and potential new business than those they consider marginal customers.

Edited by bob278

I guess what you're saying is, a 7 night cruise in a veranda cabin under the old system equaled 1 point/30 points in conversion. The same cruise is now worth 14? But, points are awarded after the sailing. Not when booked. Am I missing something?

I would bet that someone in Putterdude's situation was considered as only a potentially loyal customer who was working a system that the company felt was too generous and they are willing to risk losing his future business. That sounds harsh, but a company is willing to spend more money on long-term, demonstrated loyalty and potential new business than those they consider marginal customers.

I applaud you Bob! Well stated. Wanna bet some will not get it?

ITA! ...and also wonder how you feel about the bonus points.

Honestly, it's not about the perks. Would I like to see a level between Elite Plus and Zenith? Yes. What could they offer? I have a few ideas. Am I mad at my current points and the conversion? No. Was 30 to 1 fair. Absolutely!

SDT

Putter dude..sorry you are disappointed. I have enjoyed your posts and responses across cruise critic boards and hope to meet you onboard someday.

Just the fact you began to cruise celebrity after so much time on princess gave me a sigh of relief! I thought if putter dude likes celebrity maybe I can stop searching for awhile as I have respected your comments along the way.

I applaud you Bob! Well stated. Wanna bet some will not get it?

I've seen several people (you in particular) try to explain that this is all based on what makes sense for Celebrity from a profit perspective. What they consider loyalty is those who Celebrity believes will continue to spend money with them.

Regardless of what it is called, it really isn't a loyalty program - it's a program designed to give people incentive to spend more money. And if you look at it that way, they hit a home run. They will reward people who spend more on the base cruise fare and they now have a vehicle to give points for on-board spending, advanced booking, etc. if they choose to do so.

The problem is that there is a huge world-wide sense of entitlement in people and emotions cloud logic. Anyone can say it was a bad business decision, but the only ones who can make that determination were the ones who designed the program and conversion. If history proves them wrong, you can bet they will make changes.

Each person has to judge the impact based on their own case. But at some point, they have to look at it logically and leave emotion out of it. If our cruise history had been converted using the new earning method, we would have had 89 more points. A valid initial reaction was "Crap! They screwed me". But a closer look showed that all it really did was make it take a couple of more cruises to reach Zenith, a goal I do not expect to make. So I missed out on something I never had and I can live with that. Other people will have a different reaction and they are not wrong to feel that way, just unrealistic.

Your point is completely valid but it also illustrates the exact point so many people have tried to make.

Celebrity DID define parameters and apply bonus points to those who were very close to Elite within those parameters. It appears that the parameters were people who were within what Celebrity considered close with 1 or 2 cruises at certain levels of cabin category. That resulted in the types of unhappy cruisers we now see. If they had widened it to those who had paid but were beyond the penalty date, a new group would be focused on how they were discriminated against. And no matter how much they did, there would be some group who got upset.

There was no way to make everyone happy and they made the decision that was in their best interests. In my opinion, Celebrity considered many options and are willing to lose the business of a relative few people whose definition of loyalty is quite different from theirs.

I'm sure there were multiple meetings where the gist of the conversation was "How do we best leverage the cost involved in the Captain's Club and pi$$ off the fewest people who are most likely to cruise with us in the future".

Thank you, Bob (& SHill64 & others commenting on business decisions), for your voice of reason and expressing it so well with detailed points about considerations and bonus points already applied. It does appear that Celebrity put a lot of thought into this, which your post so well describes. And you are absolutely right that any changes would incur a new set of complaints of "alienation" or "unfairness." You are not being harsh but realistic and reasonable as is Celebrity. These comments provide a perspective based on business motives that clarify the considerations and decisions made.

BTW, I just got off the phone with Captain's Club to help make Select dining reservations ("wonderful" website once again not allowing me to make Select dining reservations via My Celebrity/My Reservations due to ongoing bug). I commended them on the reasonable changes and the new levels and benefits and once again expressed my support for the drink vouchers. The rep said they receive a lot of complaints about the vouchers and was surprised to hear support. What can I say? We thoroughly enjoyed the vouchers on our recent cruise, which was the first time we got them.

Kathy

Edited by TourDeCruise

I commended them on the reasonable changes and the new levels and benefits and once again expressed my support for the drink vouchers. The rep said they receive a lot of complaints about the vouchers and was surprised to hear support. What can I say? We thoroughly enjoyed the vouchers on our recent cruise, which was the first time we got them.

Kathy

Would be great if the drink vouchers could be converted to speciality meal vouchers if you have a drinks package.

Thank you, Bob (& SHill64 & others commenting on business decisions), for your voice of reason and expressing it so well with detailed points about considerations and bonus points already applied. It does appear that Celebrity put a lot of thought into this, which your post so well describes. And you are absolutely right that any changes would incur a new set of complaints of "alienation" or "unfairness." You are not being harsh but realistic and reasonable as is Celebrity. These comments provide a perspective based on business motives that clarify the considerations and decisions made.

I'm pleased these views as bob related above are now more accepted.

I made similar comments in the related thread about it not being a loyalty program as such now, then came back to find my comments deleted and the thread closed. I can only imagine some must have railed against that observation.

I'm pleased these views as bob related above are now more accepted.

I made similar comments in the related thread about it not being a loyalty program as such now, then came back to find my comments deleted and the thread closed. I can only imagine some must have railed against that observation.

I wouldn't worry too much, sometimes the threads close and it is for no particular reason other than the moderator thinks it best.:D

I've seen several people (you in particular) try to explain that this is all based on what makes sense for Celebrity from a profit perspective. What they consider loyalty is those who Celebrity believes will continue to spend money with them.

Regardless of what it is called, it really isn't a loyalty program - it's a program designed to give people incentive to spend more money. And if you look at it that way, they hit a home run. They will reward people who spend more on the base cruise fare and they now have a vehicle to give points for on-board spending, advanced booking, etc. if they choose to do so.

The problem is that there is a huge world-wide sense of entitlement in people and emotions cloud logic. Anyone can say it was a bad business decision, but the only ones who can make that determination were the ones who designed the program and conversion. If history proves them wrong, you can bet they will make changes.

Each person has to judge the impact based on their own case. But at some point, they have to look at it logically and leave emotion out of it. If our cruise history had been converted using the new earning method, we would have had 89 more points. A valid initial reaction was "Crap! They screwed me". But a closer look showed that all it really did was make it take a couple of more cruises to reach Zenith, a goal I do not expect to make. So I missed out on something I never had and I can live with that. Other people will have a different reaction and they are not wrong to feel that way, just unrealistic.

Bob,

Your posts are always so sensible, well-written, and right-on!

Sheila

Our society is filled with changes, coupon codes, specials etc. These are just things that have been created; they are not the true experiences of cruising, and meeting wonderful people. You can't put a price on friendship and world experience, and that can't be taken from you. Stay sincere to your real reason for cruising, and don't let the point system ruin it for you...it is not about the points...it is about you enjoying the opportunity of life!:) HAPPY CRUISING TO ALL OF YOU!

P.S. I HAVE LEARNED A WEALTH OF INFORMATION FROM READING THIS THREAD. Thank you for posting your thoughts,as it gives me another dimension of cruising that I was not aware existed in such intensity, and how deeply many of you feel about the new program.

Edited by Lastdance

Our society is filled with changes, coupon codes, specials etc. These are just things that have been created; they are not the true experiences of cruising, and meeting wonderful people. You can't put a price on friendship and world experience, and that can't be taken from you. Stay sincere to your real reason for cruising, and don't let the point system ruin it for you...it is not about the points...it is about you enjoying the opportunity of life!:) HAPPY CRUISING TO ALL OF YOU!

The problem is that there is a huge world-wide sense of entitlement in people

Perfectly stated. And, I think Bob hit the nail on the head. Especially in the US.

Century R/T out of SD to HI when this was announced. You can imagine that there was much talk and concern/interest. We had a CC luncheon scheduled for that day and one of our CC members printed up the new "levels" and brought them to the lunch. I think...based on the comments of CC members...most were happy with the "new" levels. I agree...while we were moved from Elite to Elite Plus we will be long dead :confused::eek: before we reach Zenith. Having just returned from the cruise this Friday past I have not had time to read this entire thread...Do I understand...from a brief over-view...that if you were Select it is now a much longer "journey" to get to Elite? and from Elite to Elite Plus? LuAnn

Century R/T out of SD to HI when this was announced. You can imagine that there was much talk and concern/interest. We had a CC luncheon scheduled for that day and one of our CC members printed up the new "levels" and brought them to the lunch. I think...based on the comments of CC members...most were happy with the "new" levels. I agree...while we were moved from Elite to Elite Plus we will be long dead :confused::eek: before we reach Zenith. Having just returned from the cruise this Friday past I have not had time to read this entire thread...Do I understand...from a brief over-view...that if you were Select it is now a much longer "journey" to get to Elite? and from Elite to Elite Plus? LuAnn

Depends how close to Elite you were. Elite+ is definitely more difficult to attain. They gave bonus points to people who were close to Elite.

Tom

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The new system is fairer, however, some people are not so happy with the conversions from the existing tier credits to the new points while others are not so happy with the bonus points that some got while others didn't. We will all get over it one way or the other, it really isn't a biggie.:D

...Do I understand...from a brief over-view...that if you were Select it is now a much longer "journey" to get to Elite? and from Elite to Elite Plus? LuAnn

It's not specifically those levels, but progression at all stages is slower in the new program, except for the small proportion in the top suites.

Hence, for the majority of cruisers, it will be a longer 'journey' to get to any level.

The new system is fairer,

Actually, I would say it is less fair. People on the same cruise progress at significantly varying rates.

It is heavily biased towards the top couple of grades.

On an average dollar per cabin basis though, the earn rate is much higher per dollar spent for those cabins. Thus, it's not even equitable on a dollar basis, nor a nightly basis. Just on a cabin occupied basis. Hard to say that that is 'fair.'

Actually, I would say it is less fair. People on the same cruise progress at significantly varying rates.

On an average dollar per cabin basis though, the earn rate is much higher per dollar spent for those cabins. Thus, it's not even equitable on a dollar basis, nor a nightly basis. Just on a cabin occupied basis. Hard to say that that is 'fair.'

I still think is fairer than the prevoius system, as it is closer to $ spent.:D

It's pretty easy to say something is unfair. How about suggesting a system you think would be fair and let everyone critique it?

Edited by bob278