economy comfort worth the price?

gazzagirl

Ok the flight I'm looking at leaves O'hare on air france premium economy to paris with a 1 hour 15 minutes connection. Then onto Nice, france. Coming home is Air France leaving Rome at 10:20 am and having a one hour connection in paris. There is not alot of other options other than flying from O'hare at noon going to JFK, then flying to paris with a two hour connection then onto nice. What do you all think? I mean why on earth would they schedule these flights so crazy. Oh and the JFK flight has a 3 hour layover. So we would leave O'hare at noon and get to nice at 11 am.

What are your travel dates? I'd see if there's a later flight from Paris to Nice, so you can have a bit longer connect time going over. Likewise on the return, can you stay over a night in Rome and maybe get an earlier flight to Paris the next morning to give you more connect time?

At least it's all AF-AF flights, so you stay in the same terminal. There is a 90% chance you won't have a hardstand so you won't have to bus. Just go as fast as you can!!! Keep track of where each of those flights arrive/depart at in CDG for several days ahead of time to get an idea of how you'll have to go through the terminal.

If I'm not flying BE on DL TATL or to Hawaii, I pay for EC. Since I have a Delta Plat Amex, I get Zone 1 boarding anyway. It's a nice thing to have since I don't fly enough to keep any status anymore :(

At least it's all AF-AF flights, so you stay in the same terminal. There is a 90% chance you won't have a hardstand so you won't have to bus. Just go as fast as you can!!! Keep track of where each of those flights arrive/depart at in CDG for several days ahead of time to get an idea of how you'll have to go through the terminal.
It's technically the same "terminal" as in Terminal 2, but different buildings. Extra-Schengen AF flights operate from T2E, while intra-Schengen operate from T2F. Edited by FlyerTalker

We generally upgrade to Economy Comfort for long flights. We did it on Delta for our trip to Australia (14 hr flight from LAX to Sydney). Also, United, OHare to Bejing, return Hong Hong to LAX. Recently we did it for Newark to Istanbul on United. It was worth the price.

We don't do it for the shorter legs.

I found a flight out of appleton, wisconsin which is 120 miles from home verses O'hare being 300 miles away. We live in the upper part of michigan so flights are a challenge. Anyway the flight from appleton takes longer but more time in paris not much but it gives us 1 hour and 30 min. getting to nice at 2:30 pm instead. Going home is the same except to detroit verses O'hare. But we will be closer to home. So I think I might take that flight instead. It's still air france and premium economy all the way through

I found a flight out of appleton, wisconsin which is 120 miles from home verses O'hare being 300 miles away. We live in the upper part of michigan so flights are a challenge. Anyway the flight from appleton takes longer but more time in paris not much but it gives us 1 hour and 30 min. getting to nice at 2:30 pm instead. Going home is the same except to detroit verses O'hare. But we will be closer to home. So I think I might take that flight instead. It's still air france and premium economy all the way through

Where are you only seeing these close connections? I just searched the AF site with what I approximate are your dates (Sept. 16-Oct 1), and I'm seeing options with 3-4 hour connection times. This may seem like a lot, but trust me, at CDG you'll need that time.

I have been looking at choice air and air france website. But if you look close at my dates the flights leaving rome with more connection time is early morning like 7am and 8am and not on air france they are on Italalia airline which I don't want. I want to fly air france. You don't think one hour in paris going back to the states is enough time? I don't have to go through customs until I get into the states so it just a connection.

Where are you only seeing these close connections? I just searched the AF site with what I approximate are your dates (Sept. 16-Oct 1), and I'm seeing options with 3-4 hour connection times. This may seem like a lot, but trust me, at CDG you'll need that time.

Ok your right I went back to air france website and I do see that I can fly air france all the way through with a longer connection in paris. I guess I just ignored those 7 am flights thinking I did not want to go to the airport that time of the morning. I found a 7am from rome to paris arriving at 9:20 am and then leaving paris at 1:35pm to detroit at 4:15 pm then leaving Detroit at 7:45 pm arriving appleton at 8:04 pm. If you think that is better choice for paris connection then I will check that out. This is why I'v been asking for advice. Thank you so much

Ok your right I went back to air france website and I do see that I can fly air france all the way through with a longer connection in paris. I guess I just ignored those 7 am flights thinking I did not want to go to the airport that time of the morning. I found a 7am from rome to paris arriving at 9:20 am and then leaving paris at 1:35pm to detroit at 4:15 pm then leaving Detroit at 7:45 pm arriving appleton at 8:04 pm. If you think that is better choice for paris connection then I will check that out. This is why I'v been asking for advice. Thank you so much

Trust me, I hate early flights as much as the next person, but honestly, while I've heard that CDG has improved, it's still a pretty massive place, and while you could be OK on the return, I still think it's better to give yourself more of a buffer time-wise. (I also like the flying thru DTW option - lovely airport!)

Remember - you need not actually be awake at that early time, you only need to be mobile... :D

Hi hope someone can help. We are looking at flights to nice, france then from rome to o'hare. We wanted to fly first class but I can see that won't happen almost 7,000 a ticket! Premium economy is almost 1800 a ticket my question is do you think it is worth it? economy is 1200 a ticket. The flight would be air france then delta coming home. Just wondering if the perks are worth that much, or are the seats better on those airlines over seas? I'v been reading the forums and learning alot as this will be our first cruise so from what I gather I should stay away from choice air? I have a 1000 credit but don't have to book through them as the reviews don't sound good. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes! Go for it! I just flew from LAX to Paris on AF 380. I was on business class but did take a look at the premium economy. I believe there are 23 or 32 seats on upper deck. The window seats have a slot to put your handbag or small items. the seats are bigger and pleanty room for your feet.

When travel to Europe I always fly with AF or KLM. Ther service is much much better :-)

M

I have been looking at choice air and air france website. But if you look close at my dates the flights leaving rome with more connection time is early morning like 7am and 8am and not on air france they are on Italalia airline which I don't want. I want to fly air france. You don't think one hour in paris going back to the states is enough time? I don't have to go through customs until I get into the states so it just a connection.

We fly PE on Airfrance through CDG a lot.....The best thing is you get to board with First Class in a separate line so if you are running tight on time, you can get boarded quickly.

It's technically the same "terminal" as in Terminal 2, but different buildings. Extra-Schengen AF flights operate from T2E, while intra-Schengen operate from T2F.

My boo-boo. I thought the AF flights were T2F and the SkyTeam flights were T2E… Still, with the construction finished, the connections are much easier than they used to be. I do remember the old days of taking those busses from the hardstands while they were building the new part of T2, then having it collapse and rebuilding…

What are your travel dates? I'd see if there's a later flight from Paris to Nice, so you can have a bit longer connect time going over. Likewise on the return, can you stay over a night in Rome and maybe get an earlier flight to Paris the next morning to give you more connect time?

My flight dates are september 16th from appleton, wisconsin to nice, france. Then the return is october 1st. leaving rome going to appleton. I checked flight through choice air and even called them. I can leave rome at 8:35 am and fly to paris with a 2 hour and 50 min. layover, but it is on Ilitalia airline from rome then air france from paris on. I don't know anything about Ilitalia air. My other choice is leave rome 10:20 am air france getting to paris with 1 hour and 5 minutes for a connection and then on to detroit. All the flights are premium economy. What do you all think I should try Ilitalia air?

My flight dates are september 16th from appleton, wisconsin to nice, france. Then the return is october 1st. leaving rome going to appleton. I checked flight through choice air and even called them. I can leave rome at 8:35 am and fly to paris with a 2 hour and 50 min. layover, but it is on Ilitalia airline from rome then air france from paris on. I don't know anything about Ilitalia air. My other choice is leave rome 10:20 am air france getting to paris with 1 hour and 5 minutes for a connection and then on to detroit. All the flights are premium economy. What do you all think I should try Ilitalia air?

Well, first off....it's Alitalia. The flights from FCO that morning run at 0700, 0710, 0835 and 1020. They alternate back and forth for the operating carrier, with it being AZ, AF, AZ, AF. However, there is an AF code available for all of the flights. All but the first are on A321s, with the 0700 on an A320. All flights will arrive from FCO into T2F. You'll get a bit more legroom on AF.

If you really want to fly AF metal, take the 0710 departure. Personally, for the 2 hour block to block time, I'd be OK with AZ. Only you can decide if it's worth either a short connect at CDG or an earlier wakeup and departure in order to fly AF metal.

You don't think one hour in paris going back to the states is enough time? I don't have to go through customs until I get into the states so it just a connection.

No, I don't think it's enough time. Could you make it? Maybe. For sure? No way. While it's "just a connection" you may still have to go from one building to another (as Flyertalker pointed out, T2 is in more than one building) and you will have to go through a passport check and security. I did this last year from from Naples to CDG and on to ATL, and based on that experience, would NEVER book a 1 hour connect at CDG.

I can leave rome at 8:35 am and fly to paris with a 2 hour and 50 min. layover, but it is on Ilitalia airline from rome then air france from paris on. I don't know anything about Ilitalia air.

Alitalia gets a bad rap sometimes, but mainly in reference to longer transatlantic flights. For a short Rome to Paris flight it's fine. The same trip I referenced above was like that... Alitalia from Naples to Paris, then AF after that. Seriously, the Rome to Paris flight is so short it really isn't worth worrying about what airline you're on.

While it's "just a connection" you may still have to go from one building to another (as Flyertalker pointed out, T2 is in more than one building) and you will have to go through a passport check and security.
Just to make it clear....you WILL have to change buildings.

For AF flights at CDG, it's either T2E or T2F. And the "rules" for which one are:

1) T2F handles all intra-Schengen flights. That would include Nice and Rome.

2) T2E handles all extra-Schengen flights. That includes all destinations in North America (and others too). This is also the terminal for extra-Schengen flights on Delta.

Beyond that, T2E consists of three separate buildings, connected by people mover trains.

Just to make it clear....you WILL have to change buildings.

I was pretty sure that was definitely the case, but wasn't 100% positive. Thanks for clarifying!

OP: I'll be heading back on roughly the same itinerary again next fall (FCO via CDG) and you can be certain I will attempt to book a minimum 2 hour connect at CDG.

Ok thank you we are for sure taking everyones advice. I'm going to book the early flight out of rome air france 7:10 am and give us the extra time. I was going to take advantage of our 1000 dollar air credit through choice air but when trying to book on there website it does not give me those options only the one hour layover, or the 8:30 flight on the other airline. It would not let me book my air so I called them and the guy tells me I have to call the airline to book. So I said how is the airline going to know I have a air credit with choice air? He then says I have to book it on line with choice air but no credit shows up when I try to book. Then the guy hangs up on me! I'm booking my own air through air france on my own. This tells me what kind of service will I have through them if I run into problems. lol

I'm sorry if I misled people with my rantings on the terminals at CDG. My last two times through there, I actually had the 23 hour layover and stayed at the Sheraton. I vaguely remember arriving/departing from T2F for the AF intra-Schengen flights and leaving from T2E M pier for my DL flight home. I know I went through T2E 2 hours before my flight home, did exit protocols and had plenty of time to do some duty-free shopping and hit the AF lounge for breakfast, several cups of espresso and some relaxation before heading to the gate. That's why I figured the shorter transit time would be OK nowadays.

No problem. The re-arrangement at CDG is a change from the old system they had there.

One of the best things to come from the AF/KL merger is that they must have gotten some good intel from KL on managing connections at a large airport. AF has been working with ADP (the airport authority) - better signage and procedures have been a visible result.

Although the T2E multi-building situation can still be confusing, it's not that hard to figure out. The buildings are collectively called T2E because they all use the same landside facility (T2E), though the gate areas are now differentiated with distinct letters not used elsewhere.

I'd be comfortable with a two hour connect, and even 1:30. But I don't mind longer connects and it would give a chance to snag some Calvados in the AF lounge. Along with the Clarins massage.

An FYI for the OP: Flying in PE does not entitle you to complimentary use of the AF lounge at CDG. You can pay to use it-the price is on the AF website-and you can also get in for free if you have status on DL. I think it's worth it to pay the entrance fee if you have a long layover but that's a personal thing. Keeps me away from the very expensive shopping opportunities at CDG!

Have been back and forth to London a few times this year for business and $79 for economy comfort on Delta is worth every penny-the extra leg room, free alcohol, just overall more pleasant experience for a long flight!