Lamanai Ruins and Jungle Safari

realtorlady42

Has anyone done this NCL tour yet THIS season?

We have it booked for January and would love a review, pics, thoughts etc from anyone who has recently done it.

I have read reviews from past seasons, interested to see what people who have recently taken it have to say.

TIA :)

Have you checked over on the Ports of Call section? Usually tons of great info over there about excursions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Has anyone done this NCL tour yet THIS season?

We have it booked for January and would love a review, pics, thoughts etc from anyone who has recently done it.

I have read reviews from past seasons, interested to see what people who have recently taken it have to say.

TIA :)

I was just talking about this excursion yest with my mom. We'll be in Belize in April on the Dawn and are looking to do this excursion. I'd be interested in some thoughts also :)

Edited by Godiva830

It wasn't this year but we did the Lamanai ruins in Belize. The coach took about 45 minute to an hour to get to a boat landing area. We got on a speed boat where we did a slow cruise around and saw lots of wildlife then he opened it up and we went for 15 to 20 minutes really fast down to the ruins

We were served lunch and then had a guided walk around the ruins and through the jungle area and then did the trip in reverse with the boat etc

Lamanai was interesting and we enjoyed the day but would not sit at the back, we got soaked as the engine opens up, the front lifts.

Have you checked over on the Ports of Call section? Usually tons of great info over there about excursions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Yes I am regularly on those forums. No recent info on this tour..which is why I posted in NCL for folks who may have recently done a west carrib cruise including this tour.

And here's a video I created too showing the boat safari ride and Lamanai itself.

very cool..thanks! I am hoping to brave the stairs with DH but I am afraid of heights..and ladders which the stairs essentially are...so we shall see how far up I manage to get. He will go right to the top no problem..at 55 he is still like a monkey :D

very cool..thanks! I am hoping to brave the stairs with DH but I am afraid of heights..and ladders which the stairs essentially are...so we shall see how far up I manage to get. He will go right to the top no problem..at 55 he is still like a monkey :D

I'll tell you... going up is the very easy part. Piece of cake. Coming back down was the interesting part. You have to figure out what works best for you. I found coming down backward worked best for me.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

I'll tell you... going up is the very easy part. Piece of cake. Coming back down was the interesting part. You have to figure out what works best for you. I found coming down backward worked best for me.

Down is definitely a challenge :). To put it into perspective, the steps are about 3ft tall (1m) so you need some good flexibility and strength. Ds1 was 6 yrs old when we did this excursion and he had no difficulty getting up, it got uncomfortable coming down. Fortunately we only had a few more steps to go and he finished it without a problem. There is a rope to hang onto, but honestly I found it easier to climb on my own as there were many people tugging on the rope. We too came down backwards, akin to climbing down a ladder.

This excursion is probably the most memorable excursion we've taken on a cruise, we did it in 2011. The boat ride into the site is amazing (the boat holds about 25 people and has 2-200hp engines!) and the wildlife is phenomenal. Lamanai is a very interesting site, if you can, do a bit of reading before you go. Our guide was very knowledgeable and when she found out we had done some research on our own she added even more detail to her descriptions.

Down is definitely a challenge :). To put it into perspective' date=' the steps are about 3ft tall (1m) so you need some good flexibility and strength. Ds1 was 6 yrs old when we did this excursion and he had no difficulty getting up, it got uncomfortable coming down. Fortunately we only had a few more steps to go and he finished it without a problem. There is a rope to hang onto, but honestly I found it easier to climb on my own as there were many people tugging on the rope. We too came down backwards, akin to climbing down a ladder.

This excursion is probably the most memorable excursion we've taken on a cruise, we did it in 2011. The boat ride into the site is amazing (the boat holds about 25 people and has 2-200hp engines!) and the wildlife is phenomenal. Lamanai is a very interesting site, if you can, do a bit of reading before you go. Our guide was very knowledgeable and when she found out we had done some research on our own she added even more detail to her descriptions.[/quote']

Thank you..I knew the steps were steep but did not realize they were "that" steep...I am sure I will go to the first platform, and then decide from there...may have to depend on DH for the pics from the top.

I was at Chechen-Itza a couple of years ago...fantastic tour guide explained so much ...really an incredible site. But as with many things has become too commercial.

Looking forward to learning the history here. It will be DH's first ruins.

How much time do they allow for one to explore on their own at the site?

I watched from the bottom and took pictures. My DH (age 66) climbed up. I thought about it, but my knee rebelled at the size of each step. This is a fantastic excursion (we went in Jan. 2013) and was the highlight of our cruise. The boat part is good, too. Driver stops to show you wildlife (crocs, bats, monkeys) and historical sites (Mennonite colony/McAfee's former house). Bought some neat jewelry from crafter at the lunch location.

How much time do they allow for one to explore on their own at the site?

We didn't have any time on our own, except at the little shops near the dock when you get off the boat at Lamanai. There are multiple groups of 25 or so people touring all at the same time, and each one is carefully timed so there aren't too many people in an area at once. We did find we had ample time to climb, observe and descend at each building. It isn't a place you can ditch the group and go off on your own IMHO.

I'll agree that, at Lamanai, you aren't given any signifiant time to explore on your own. You move as a group from one location to the other. When you are given time to climb the high temple, you have about 15-20 minutes to do it, probably. Not much more. I felt like I had ample time to see things, but it's not like they turn you loose and ask you to meet somewhere in xx minutes time. They keep you together in the group for the most part. As others have said, there is a little time at the lunch stop to shop a little too. You're on the go, most of the day.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Great thanks for all the responces.

I meant how much time at the temples to explore and wander so my question is answered. Thank you!

I have not heard any negative comments on this tour...except some people felt it was a ling day..but we booked it knowing it will be a full day and look forward to the experience.

What do they serve for lunch? is there a choice?

Great thanks for all the responces.

I meant how much time at the temples to explore and wander so my question is answered. Thank you!

I have not heard any negative comments on this tour...except some people felt it was a ling day..but we booked it knowing it will be a full day and look forward to the experience.

What do they serve for lunch? is there a choice?

There was not much choice, it was a small buffet with people serving you as you went through the line. I recall chicken, rice and beans and some sort of dessert. The chicken and beans were very good! We ate in an open air restaurant which overlooked the docks where the boats dropped us off to catch the bus. There was not a lot of time for lunch, but even with our young children we did not feel rushed. It is definitely a long day, many people napped on the bus ride back to the ship :)

• 1 month later...

I took the Royal Caribbean Lamanai excursion last week, and it was a disaster. It was raining off and on that day.

We made it to the ruins without getting wet (it took almost three hours to get there), but they rushed us through the ruins, and I was really annoyed. I complained to one of the guides, and he offered to take me back to one of the ruins after we completed the guided tour, but it started pouring, so we never went back.

They only gave people 10 minutes to climb the ruins, which I felt was a safetly hazard, considering how steep the climb is and the fact that the steps were wet and slippery.

FYI...I used tons of bug spray, but I still got bitten up by mosquitos.

Toward the end of the ruins tour, it started pouring. We got soaking wet walking back to the boat (and it was a very slippery walk). Then we spent an hour on the speed boat in the pouring rain, which blasted us in the face and soaked us to the bone. The boat was not fully covered, nor did they offer us good rain ponchos (when I was in Costa Rica, the speed boats provided rain ponchos). So, I spent the entire hour on the speed boat covering my head and face with a cheap rain poncho that the tour guide sold me for $5 (the poncho ripped immediately, so all I could do was cover my face from the rain that was blasting it).

We finally got lunch at 2:30pm--I was absolutely starving, and I was soaked to the bone (as if I had jumped into a pool with my clothes on).

Then we got in a cold air-conditioned bus and went back to the port. Then I had to sit in my wet clothes another 30 minutes until I tendered back to the ship.

DO NOT book this excursion ahead of time! Only book it if there is a guarantee of no rain. They are not prepared for rain on this excursion.

Edited by sparklingsoul

I took the Royal Caribbean Lamanai excursion last week, and it was a disaster. It was raining off and on that day.

We made it to the ruins without getting wet (it took almost three hours to get there), but they rushed us through the ruins, and I was really annoyed. I complained to one of the guides, and he offered to take me back to one of the ruins after we completed the guided tour, but it started pouring, so we never went back.

They only gave people 10 minutes to climb the ruins, which I felt was a safetly hazard, considering how steep the climb is and the fact that the steps were wet and slippery.

Toward the end of the ruins tour, it started pouring. We got soaking wet walking back to the boat (and it was a very slippery walk). Then we spent an hour on the speed boat in the pouring rain, which blasted us in the face and soaked us to the bone. The boat was not fully covered, nor did they offer us good rain ponchos (when I was in Costa Rica, the speed boats provided rain ponchos). So, I spent the entire hour on the speed boat covering my head and face with a cheap rain poncho that the tour guide sold me for $5 (the poncho ripped immediately, so all I could do was cover my face from the rain that was blasting it).

We finally got lunch at 2:30pm--I was absolutely starving, and I was soaked to the bone (as if I had jumped into a pool with my clothes on).

Then we got in a cold air-conditioned bus and went back to the port. Then I had to sit in my wet clothes another 30 minutes until I tendered back to the ship.

DO NOT book this excursion ahead of time! Only book it if there is a guarantee of no rain. They are not prepared for rain on this excursion.

WOW !!! Rain in the Jungle .

Who was not prepared ? :rolleyes:

We did this one on Dec 11 - and it was raining pretty hard on the boat ride to the ruins. I will say that it was kind of miserable on the way up there - bring your own sturdy rain poncho rather than use the flimsy one NCL has available. Once we got to the ruins, the rain lightened up quite a bit and eventually stopped. We got a very nice leisurely tour considering the time frame we had to deal with. Everyone got an opportunity to climb two different structures. Our guide was wonderful. The boat ride back for us was fine, no rain, however there were other boats that had broken down. We stopped to help a few of them, and one of them had to offload their passengers in the middle of the river. Several people could not do that, and they had to send a rescue boat which I understand had some issues as well. The lunch was very very good, albeit served late. Might want to pack a protein bar or such. As a result of the problems with the other boats we were about an hour late and the ship did wait for us.

I would do this again in a heartbeat even with the rain. I was not in one of the broken boats and that may have influenced my opinion negatively if I were, but I don't think so. It was interesting, and fun. I looked at it as a once in a lifetime adventure!

LOL

I just did a full review yesterday and its not posted yet.

Folks.........you need to think ahead. Wear a bathing suite and a t-shirt. We got soaked from a 10 minute thunderstorm. No big deal for us but about half of the people with us were not prepared and were "Had no idea" we would be walking on paths (muddy) in the jungle.:eek::roll eyes:

The tour was great and was a long day. We boarded the bus about 8:30am and made it back to the pier in time to catch the last tender back. The bus ride is not 45 minutes, it was exactly 75 minutes each way (58 miles). The boat ride is 22 miles. It will be hot, humid, maybe muddy, some bugs.........so be prepared.

FYI..........If you need to use a cane, have trouble walking, have trouble with the heat. PLEASE........DO NOT take this excursion, half of the people on our tour should have been left at the pier, even the guides were annoyed at them with all the complaining.

Here's a short 15 minute video from our cruise..................http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaGnhWiewuA

At the 7:30 minute you can see just how hard it can rain on the boat around 9:00 you can hear the Howler monkeys

Edited by Laszlo

I was going to post this and it is a coincidence that the above post deal with becoming rain soaked.

It would not be unusual to have rain showers in Belize. You can become soaked to the skin, especially if the rain occurs on the boat ride.

Bring your pool towels and light weight jackets with you and leave in your seats on the bus. If it does rain, you will be happy to have the towels to dry off with and the jackets to warm you when the AC blows on your damp clothing.

Edited by Homosassa

I was going to post this and it is a coincidence that the above post deal with becoming rain soaked.

It would not be unusual to have rain showers in Belize. You can become soaked to the skin, especially if the rain occurs on the boat ride.

Bring your pool towels and light weight jackets with you and leave in your seats on the bus. If it does rain, you will be happy to have the towels to dry off with and the jackets to warm you when the AC blows on your damp clothing.

We put our towels in a small backpack. If you sit in the front 1/3 of the boat you will get wet, as you can see in my video it was pouring and the boat operator did not stop. Your moving so fast I saw many people with ponchos which were torn up. Even the guides got wet. It was so hot within 30 minutes we were drive. We did not have any rain on the way back