Veendammers...how was Mazatlan?

WINEMANVISALIA

Port stop at Mazatlan...how is it now?

A few ships are trying Mazatlan again...anyone here on any of those cruises...can you report what that port stop is like now?

Thank you, with fond memories of Mazatlan in the old days, wondering if it is worth going back???

If you don't hear from any recent cruisers, I'll let you know after Christmas. We too are looking forward to Mazatlan and found it the most interesting of the three standard Mexican Riviera stops.

Our favorite restaurant "Te Amo Lucy" unfortunately closed -- whether it was due to the drop in cruise traffic or whatever, but we are going expecting things not to be the same as last time when the whole Centro Historico was on the cusp of a beautiful restoration.

NB: this may need updating, but it looks like Te Amo Lucy might be back in business - Hola! http://www.mamilucy.com

Edited by OlsSalt

If you don't hear from any recent cruisers, I'll let you know after Christmas. We too are looking forward to Mazatlan and found it the most interesting of the three standard Mexican Riviera stops.

Our favorite restaurant "Te Amo Lucy" unfortunately closed -- whether it was due to the drop in cruise traffic or whatever, but we are going expecting things not to be the same as last time when the whole Centro Historico was on the cusp of a beautiful restoration.

NB: this may need updating, but it looks like Te Amo Lucy might be back in business - Hola! http://www.mamilucy.com

If you haven't taken the Colonial San Sebastián tour in Puerto Vallarta, check it out. Must be able to easily walk from the edge of San Sebastián over cobblestone streets into the village as the bus can't make it through the narrow passage ways. Tour was one of the best we have taken in Mexico. San Sebastián has only been available for tours within the last five year due to its isolation because of a huge gorge. One of the stops is to photograph the bridge. Another is at a family distillery of mescal and the third is at a family run coffee farm. San Sebastián itself is the highlight. At one time it was considered the Paris of a Mexico due to all the French perfume and clothes. Wealth was from the silver mined in the area. Beautiful preserved historic village in the Sierra Madres.

Well I for one cannot wait to return to Mazatlan on December 31st :) We will be heading to lunch at Pancho's in the Golden Zone. Definitely one of my favorites, I have missed going to Mazatlan :) But then I have missed going to the Mexican Riviera it has been several years for us. Last time we were there ships were still stopping in Mazatlan.

[quote=OlsSalt;40773760

Te Amo Lucy has reopened (15 Nov 2013, I think) under a new name.

Same place...same great service....

>SNIP<

Te Amo Lucy has reopened (15 Nov 2013, I think) under a new name.

Same place...same great service....

There was someone else who used to post here who had GREAT things to say about Te Amo Lucy. We were looking forward to trying it; maybe if the ships return to Mazatlan we will (some day) get our chance!

Well I for one cannot wait to return to Mazatlan on December 31st :) We will be heading to lunch at Pancho's in the Golden Zone. Definitely one of my favorites, I have missed going to Mazatlan :) But then I have missed going to the Mexican Riviera it has been several years for us. Last time we were there ships were still stopping in Mazatlan.

Ditto. Mazatlan was always a favourite port for me, and we've lunched at Pancho's several times.:) Excellent food.

Ditto. Mazatlan was always a favourite port for me, and we've lunched at Pancho's several times.:) Excellent food.

Looks like my favorite in Centro Historico on Av Constitution - Te Amo Lucy is back open again - worth it for the homemade coffee ice-cream alone. She is a grand chef so this is far more than "mexican", it is Mexican in the grand regional style this cuisine is known for.

Looks like my favorite in Centro Historico on Av Constitution - Te Amo Lucy is back open again - worth it for the homemade coffee ice-cream alone. She is a grand chef so this is far more than "mexican", it is Mexican in the grand regional style this cuisine is known for.

I think you recommended that place once before, if memory serves me - I must try it if I get back to Mazatlan.

I think you recommended that place once before, if memory serves me - I must try it if I get back to Mazatlan.

Owner said they get a lot of repeat customers, particularly from the cruise ships. So it is pretty well-known and welcomed to be back in business. Hope you enjoy it. Owner is an American expat, so language is no problem.

Lisa, is that the place on the beach with a sign above their entry way that says "The most beautiful Women in the World walk through here"? The food was Yummy.:):D:)

Lisa, is that the place on the beach with a sign above their entry way that says "The most beautiful Women in the World walk through here"? The food was Yummy.:):D:)

Gail, I am not sure I will have to take a look in December. I know that it is on the beach and is two stories and I have always thought was the cleanest place. The Bathrooms are quite pretty. For a while we were going there frequently and they remembered us :D It has now been about 4 years since we went to Panchos in Mazatlan so pretty sure they will not remember us.

Gail, I am not sure I will have to take a look in December. I know that it is on the beach and is two stories and I have always thought was the cleanest place. The Bathrooms are quite pretty. For a while we were going there frequently and they remembered us :D It has now been about 4 years since we went to Panchos in Mazatlan so pretty sure they will not remember us.

Yes, this place was 2 stories. Never made a trip to the ladies room though.

If you haven't taken the Colonial San Sebastián tour in Puerto Vallarta, check it out. Must be able to easily walk from the edge of San Sebastián over cobblestone streets into the village as the bus can't make it through the narrow passage ways. Tour was one of the best we have taken in Mexico. San Sebastián has only been available for tours within the last five year due to its isolation because of a huge gorge. One of the stops is to photograph the bridge. Another is at a family distillery of mescal and the third is at a family run coffee farm. San Sebastián itself is the highlight. At one time it was considered the Paris of a Mexico due to all the French perfume and clothes. Wealth was from the silver mined in the area. Beautiful preserved historic village in the Sierra Madres.

We also have been on this tour (March 2013/Westerdam Panama Canal) and thoroughly enjoyed it. It takes some time to get there -- up in the mountains. We traveled in a large van. We were the only tourists there. :)

we will be docking in Mazatlan 11 Dec. on our Sea of Cortez cruise instead of docking in Topolobampo due to a change in our itinerary. I know there will be a lot of disappointed people who wanted to do the Copper Canyon but now that I know we are not going there I am looking forward to Mazatlan. We are thinking of wandering around the town rather than doing an excursion. Sounds like there are some real fun things to do and great places to eat.