Help please, celebrity switched us to another cabin

catch-a-ray

I am presently on the phone with celebrity, called them because when I went on-line to make our final payment the balance owing was almost $200.00 more then my confirmation. Then she is also telling me that we have been moved into another cabin ! We booked this almost a year ago......not happy ! She has me on hold while she checks it's out, she's telling me there was a system change ? Any one else have this happen? cruise is Feb 21 equinox 10 day. Thanks ,

I am presently on the phone with celebrity, called them because when I went on-line to make our final payment the balance owing was almost $200.00 more then my confirmation. Then she is also telling me that we have been moved into another cabin ! We booked this almost a year ago......not happy ! She has me on hold while she checks it's out, she's telling me there was a system change ? Any one else have this happen? cruise is Feb 21 equinox 10 day. Thanks ,

Whoa Nellie! Something smells in the state of X. If you had a confirmed reservation with a specific cabin you should have been notified of a change. In the Celebrity reservations system there is a place where the reservations person, or travel agent, can indicate whether or not you will accept an upgrade. If you agreed to that (or if it was done on your behalf) the cruise line is perfectly within their right to change your cabin. But under no circumstances should your price increase (except if port taxes change) unless you were notified and agreed to an increase. When you made a confirmed reservation and paid a deposit, you entered into a legal contract which gives you some rights (although the cruise lines do try to take away most of your rights via their passenger contract).

Now I would ask you a question. Did you book direct with Celebrity? Personally, we prefer to work with large cruise agencies so that we have an advocate that works on our behalf (the travel agent). If you must deal directly with the cruise line you need to become your own advocate. At the very least, make it clear you were not notified nor did you agree to any kind of price increase.....and see what they have to say.

Hank

"Taxes and Fees" can go up and down. On one of our cruises, they went up $80.00 per person, for a total of $160.00 increase for the cabin. I was planning to dig my toes in at Final Payment, but before that time they came back down, and we only ended up paying $18 more, which didn't feel worth a fight to me.

Sorry about the cabin switch. I hope it's just a clerical error. I heard of that happening once on Oceania, and CEO Frank del Rio himself came on to Cruise Critic and sorted it out to the cruiser's satisfaction. That was 4 or 5 years ago, IIRC.

Good luck...Keep us posted.

Unfortunately, in the small print of their contract, Celebrity reserves the right to move you to a cabin consider equal or better. Ifiunare not happy with where they moved you to, and they refuse to move you back to your original cabin, you might see about a free upgrade.

Well the price change was not in the taxes or port charges, it was on the cabin. ...here's what they are doing.....we were originally booked in 9233 on the hump and they had switched us to 9153 and increased the price by close to 200.00. Talked to the supervisor " Chris" and he can move us down one level, same category to 8273. It's a hump cabin as well. They still are saying that I made the change on line. I did not make any change, we always do our bookings on the phone with them. he is having their IT dept look into in, meantime we will go with 8273.......unless we end up cancelling and cruising with someone else. I'm very upset at the moment about this especially being told I changed the room. Thanks everyone for your comments.

...we were originally booked in 9233 on the hump and they had switched us to 9153 and increased the price by close to 200.00. Talked to the supervisor " Chris" and he can move us down one level, same category to 8273....

9233 and 8273 are very similar location and same category of cabin. I did notice that 9233 was a quad with both a convertible sofa and an upper birth where as the other two cabins only have the standard bed for 2. I wonder if this has anything to do with it. I've read some debate in the past over whether they can or would move a couple from a triple or quad room if it was needed by a larger group.

That's just weird! All 3 of those cabins are 1B's, so all should be the same price. Doesn't make any sense at all about the price increase unless at the time they claim you made the change yourself, the price was higher?? But then that doesn't make any sense either. How does someone go about changing their stateroom on the web site once they are booked? I didn't even know that was possible. And if you called Celebrity to change your stateroom - which you obviously didn't - even if the price was higher at the time, you would still have gotten the room for the price you originally paid.

I sure hope they come back to you with some kind of sensible explanation!!

Wait. What? So what everyone is saying...they can actually change your room and you have no recourse? There is a cabin spreadsheet here on cc. You may want to take a peek at the room review

That's just weird! All 3 of those cabins are 1B's, so all should be the same price. Doesn't make any sense at all about the price increase unless at the time they claim you made the change yourself, the price was higher?? But then that doesn't make any sense either. How does someone go about changing their stateroom on the web site once they are booked? I didn't even know that was possible. And if you called Celebrity to change your stateroom - which you obviously didn't - even if the price was higher at the time, you would still have gotten the room for the price you originally paid.

I sure hope they come back to you with some kind of sensible explanation!!

Excellent point! I've changed cabins from time to time, well after price increases, and as long as it was within the same category there hasn't been a price change. They've only re-priced the cabin if we moved to a different category or added something like the 123-GO promo to get the promo drinks package.

Edited by Lsimon

9233 and 8273 are very similar location and same category of cabin. I did notice that 9233 was a quad with both a convertible sofa and an upper birth where as the other two cabins only have the standard bed for 2. I wonder if this has anything to do with it. I've read some debate in the past over whether they can or would move a couple from a triple or quad room if it was needed by a larger group.

It should be...who ever booked first gets first choice.

Can they do this if you are paid in full? Now I'm getting worried :confused:

Ahhhh, so it was a hump cabin. These are very popular with certain cruisers. One would surmise that somebody with a little "pull" managed to get somebody at X to switch your cabin so they could get the hump. If you want to have some fun, stop by your old cabin (on the cruise) and use some charm on the residents to learn the truth. A line like "I sure would love to get one of these hump cabins, how long ago did you book it?" might answer some of your questions :)

Hank

I have read somewhere that if you book a cabin suitable for 4, and you are only 2, they can change you to another one. However, I would hope they would have the manners to tell you what was happening and offer some compensation.

I love Hlitner's idea. He has been reading too many detective stories.:D If you do visit the cabin, I would try to find out how many are in it. If there are 4 then that is why you got changed.

As for telling you that you made the change when you didn't, I would be so mad I would be spitting into the phone.

We haven't paid in full, only the deposit, however that's why I called last night to make our final payment , and when she was reviewing the details with me that is when I found out we no longer had our cabin that we booked in Jan/13... When I spoke to Chris, he re-booked us in a hump room but down one floor, same category. It's so upsetting that they can do this and blame the customer.

Hopefully they will get back to me with some answers. I remember in the fall when they did a computer update, going into look at our reservation and it didn't show up one day. The next day the amount left owing was way off.....and I read on the boards that other customers were seeing the same thing. hopefully their IT dept can figure it out, but no matter what they said we can't have our original cabin:confused:

I don't know if they can really do this or not nor if this is what happened to to catch-a-ray. It is something I read in another post here in cruise critic and was just something someone said "could" happen. I've never actually heard of anyone being bumped from a cabin for that reason.

I was once bumped from a stateroom after final payment. I didn't find out until I checked in at the terminal. I believe that what happened was that my original stateroom, which was adjacent to the Family Verandah with a connecting door, got taken by a large family which booked both the FV and my OV, and I was bumped up to a verandah. So yes, it can happen that you get moved after final payment. It was a surprise to both me and my travel agent.

Guest Relations claimed that it was in the record that Reservations had sent a fax to my travel agent a few days before the cruise started, which was impossible as his fax machine had broken about a week before. No one from Celebrity ever phoned me or the agent. It was a complete surprise to me, and caused a bit of a delay for my suitcase which had the original room on the luggage tag, so they had to chase around looking for the bag, since the people in that room told the steward that the suitcase didn't belong to them and he took it away. A few hours' delay and a verandah, neither of which I would have chosen if asked.:)

Leaving out all the details is great1

What cabin, to what cabin. from what pkg to what pkg, you get the picture.

I would complain or I would be happy. 50/50. call there.

Well the price change was not in the taxes or port charges, it was on the cabin. ...here's what they are doing.....we were originally booked in 9233 on the hump and they had switched us to 9153 and increased the price by close to 200.00. Talked to the supervisor " Chris" and he can move us down one level, same category to 8273. It's a hump cabin as well. They still are saying that I made the change on line. I did not make any change, we always do our bookings on the phone with them. he is having their IT dept look into in, meantime we will go with 8273.......unless we end up cancelling and cruising with someone else. I'm very upset at the moment about this especially being told I changed the room. Thanks everyone for your comments.

Were you able to get the price put back to the original price? I hope so as there should not have been an adjustment in price for a cabin change within a category. Only case would have been if you added a promo like the free beverage package in which case they would have changed your price to the then current price at the time of the change.

Edited by Lsimon