11/29 Zuiderdam Panama Canal Impressions

Crew News

Any chance you can take a look at the recent string of one-star member reviews now posted on CC for the Zuiderdam and give your impressions point by point of what they found and what you are finding? Thnx :cool:

Does the star level of a cruiser really matter? Opinions are opinions and facts are facts...regardless of the experience level.

Sent from my iPad

What you request is like comparing photographs taken at different times for the physical things. I can only confirm what is now.

Comparing opinions is another matter. I can only give my own with as much factual information as possible. Without a common definition of adjectives or a numerical scale, it is difficult to give a critique of someone else's opinion.

I will give my comparison when I return to high-speed internet.

Agree. When I made the original request I was still reeling from having just read some of those recent CC member reviews about the Zuiderdam Like the one saying all the outdoor furniture was so shabby it needed to be all tossed out. His opinion obviously, so you are right how does one call this also a fact. Looking forward to your final report and your current ones are breezy and fun. Hope you continue to have a wonderful time.

Is there some reason you and your wife are doing separate "Live From" threads? Maybe you should combine the two. Just a suggestion.

What you request is like comparing photographs taken at different times for the physical things. I can only confirm what is now.

Comparing opinions is another matter. I can only give my own with as much factual information as possible. Without a common definition of adjectives or a numerical scale, it is difficult to give a critique of someone else's opinion.

I will give my comparison when I return to high-speed internet.

I imagine it's also difficult to give a critique of someone else's cabin without spending an extended time in it yourself.

Edited by startwin

Does the star level of a cruiser really matter? Opinions are opinions and facts are facts...regardless of the experience level.

Sent from my iPad

You are confusing star status on HAL with the star rating that reviewers are giving to their cruises. Sort of like a 1,2,3,4, or 5 star hotel.

A one star rating denotes a poor cruise.

Edited by sapper1

You are confusing star status on HAL with the star rating that reviewers are giving to their cruises. Sort of like a 1,2,3,4, or 5 star hotel.

A one star rating denotes a poor cruise.

Oh ok...thanks for clarifying that for me. :)

Sent from my iPad

I'll post this info on both yours and your wife's threads on the cruise so that most are aware.... (I do wish you'd combine the threads but you must have your reasons for keeping them separate)........

Just read a wonderful blog by a passenger on the Nov 18th Zuiderdam cruise, who noted the awful air conditioning problems onboard, but he said that a special technical team had come onboard to address the issues.

So, hopefully, they will have some success.

Oh ok...thanks for clarifying that for me. :)

Sent from my iPad

Douglas after reading the explanation of what denotes the "Star Rating," I have to give our cruise, to date, a 4.9, ONLY because the heat at times can be almost unbearable and I have to go in the stateroom to take advantage of the air conditioning to cool down:) Other than the heat and my body not liking it so hot.........But hey, I knew it would be hot and gonna get hotter, It is an AWESOME cruise:)

Joanie

Douglas after reading the explanation of what denotes the "Star Rating," I have to give our cruise, to date, a 4.9, ONLY because the heat at times can be almost unbearable and I have to go in the stateroom to take advantage of the air conditioning to cool down:) Other than the heat and my body not liking it so hot.........But hey, I knew it would be hot and gonna get hotter, It is an AWESOME cruise:)

Joanie

I am so glad to hear that the air conditioning in your cabin is working as it seems that you are far enough south now to be experiencing unbearable heat outside. Just imagine now if you had to go inside and find it even hotter in your cabin due to no air conditioning at all. That is the sort of temperature people have been trying to explain. It is hard to imagine until you experience it for yourself. I know that until we visited Panama we had no idea that temperatures could get so hot. :). It gets worse. The day you enter the canal you will be able to cut the outside air with a knife by five in the morning. :eek:

Thank you Crew News and Joanie for taking the time to do your "Live" reports.

Ditto the thanks to Crew News and Joanie for doing your "live" reports! I am on the 11-day on February 3, 2014 in cabin 5191, and am VERY interested in all the information you provide!

This is from a blogger on the cruise just previous to this one.....

Zuiderdam is a vessel in need of much more mechanical attention than she is currently getting. She's not aging gracefully! I hope HAL upper corporate management spends whatever is necessary to bring this ship back up to HAL standards. The staff and crew were repeatedly put in awful situations by the A/C issues, so perfectly described in the post just below this....the hysterically slow "new" internet system (that was finally up to par at the end of the cruise)....the several broken elevators and sliding glass doors....several broken beverage/coffee dispensers....the overly aggressive sales of Elemis products going on in the Greenhouse Spa, making a relaxing experience harrowing....etc....etc.

She's a good ship with a first-rate staff and crew. But, Holland America Line, IMHO (based on 30 years of maritime experience in naval vessels, and 400+ days aboard cruise ships of several lines, this ship needs material attention....now....not in 2015.

Given all these reports, there is no way the issues can be put down to "personal perspective", no more than mine could in April 2012. It's unfortunate that the inference is that people reporting negatives are not telling the truth. However, let us hope that the "special technical team" has rectified the situation.

Edited by startwin

Economic sabotage on the net is a fact of life. One should be read many of these alleged first-hand reports with a jaundiced eye. Thought it was interesting how many of the recent negative CC Member Reviews about the Zuiderdam in specifically touted other cruise lines by name, while thoroughly putting down the HAL ship. Happens.

Having read about the dreadful A/C problems on the Statendam prior to our own Panama Canal cruise a few years, but no one could offer any data besides subjective descriptions I brought along a high-low humidity thermometer just to start adding facts to this often common complaint. I found very consistent temperature readings in the cabin, but had a subjective impression of that exact same temperature as either cooler or warmer depending on other factors.

Since HAL operates under what they call "Acceptable Guidelines" as to cabin temperatures, it is important to recognize how subjective the same temperature can feel to even the same person at different times when actually measured. So while the ship is providing temperature within this Accepted Range, they will be perceived differently on an individual scale. No one is disputing this.

Not sure what the answer is when someone registers the same cabin temperature is suffocatingly hot, while others find it just fine. Again, no one is disputing the subjective reactions to certain cabin temperatures. We noticed this ourselves.

However when running these large ships, should the system be built to accommodate each person's exacting temperature sensibilities including those who demand to force open their balcony doors for fresh air, while also running the A/C system or run the ship within a pre-determined range if this has been found acceptable to the vast majority of passengers, but not to a small minority.

These are management questions I am sure which are given full consideration because HAL wants to sell cabins, have happy customers and encourage repeat business. But it also as a mainline cruise company cannot be all things to all people at all times. Thus overall data rather than the unique, uncorroborated report needs to be established. Then individual passengers can decide how to best proceed for their own comfort levels.

Day #2 At Sea

Sea days are great for sleeping late but they compress the eating schedule. The weather remains sunny with temps in the low 80?s. The sun is intense with only a few seeking a tropical tan.

The shops are still trying to clear a few remaining Alaska items at 75% off.

At the fixed dining 5:30 PM seating, I counted only three tuxedos for formal night.

Several CC members stopped by the cabin to chat and to discuss the benefits of sailing with HAL

I attended a cooking demo that featured halibut and Limoncello (recipe posted under another thread). We watched four whisks held in a single hand make whipped cream in 20 seconds. The chef demonstrated a very efficient way to separate egg yolks by breaking the eggs into a bowl and lifting the yolks out with your fingers. He learned the method after separating 4000 egg yolks per day. The Limoncello creme samples served in oriental spoons was incredible! It was stressed that you could substitute orange products for the lemon.

While seated on the verandah at 8:00 PM and a long way from the nearest land, a large bird appeared out of the darkness and hovered for a few seconds near the railing. I think it was a stowaway from Half Moon Cay.

Dining:

The Lido for a 9:00 AM breakfast was only half-filled and the longest line of five passengers was waiting for omelets-to-order. The 48-hour Code Orange was still in effect. Mimosas were $2.00 on the aft lido deck.

The Code Orange was lifted for lunch. With the Terrace Grill buffet opened, it was nachos for lunch followed by appetizers at 3:00 PM and dreading eating again in just a few hours.

For formal night, the MDR was fitted with white-cloth covered chairs. As noted above, I saw only three tuxedos. The beef tenderloin was cooked to order and though still full from nearly non-stop eating, I managed to finish it. Bypassing the dessert, I was back in the stateroom and changed into casual clothes in less than 50 minutes. It was definitely a Pepcid AC night.

I requested the menus for the 11-day Panama Canal cruise from my Assistant Dining Room Manager friend and was assured that I could have them.

Room Service is timely during the afternoons. Haven't tried any other time.

Facilities:

The AC requires resetting for the evening lest the room become quite chilly. Our toilet remains always ready to flush with a single touch. The water temperature from the faucet takes a few seconds to switch from hot to cold. No deficiencies were noted during my wanderings around the ship on the second day but I am remaining vigilant.

Miscellaneous:

The ambiance of a ship with a minimum passenger load is vastly different than I am used to having. There are open deck chairs and I have not been compressed into the back wall of any elevator.

The concierges are Tim and Josephine.

The cappuccino machine is fully functioning.

There is no list of ship locations in the Neptune Lounge.

Day #3 Aruba

The pending afternoon arrival in Aruba allowed another day of sleeping late. Is that not what a vacation needs? The minimum passengers on board made for short food lines and lots of open deck chairs.

The temperatures hovered around 92 degrees and the high humidity kept many passengers on board. We shared the dock with the Island Princess.

I signed up for the sunset cruise excursion and proceeded from the Port Terminal to the dock to catch the catamaran. A group of snorklers were disembarking and all of them were quite jolly and needed help to step onto the dock. As they passed our waiting group, the snorklers were extolling the virtures of the "open bar." I grabbed a rear corner seat and readied my camera for some great sunset pictures.

When all 80 passengers were aboard, the captain announced the "open bar" and all of the rum punch you could drink. After leaving the dock, passengers dispersed from ther seats to find lounging spots on the front deck. The next two hours were spent about a mile off shore drinking punch and getting some good sunset pictures. We got back to the Zuiderdamn time for the last few minutes of the aft Lido deck cookout.

Departure from the dock at 11:00 PM had two runners but with so many folks in bed, there was no cheering by those already on board.

Dining:

Nachos were on the lunch menu after 2:00 PM when the melted cheese is placed on the buffet table. Although appetizers were cancelled, chicken wings and egg rolls still arrived at 3:00 PM.

The aft Lido deck was the site for a supper cookout. Only pizza was available in the Lido restaurant. Within minutes of the 8:00 PM end time, all of the food was removed and the indoor pool area was being set up for the sail-away party. I did get a chance to see the HAL Cats in action with the lead singer still a bit flat from the notes being played by the musicians.

With so much eating, I bypassed the desserts again.

Facilities:

AC continues to function well and still needed to be turned down or the sleeping temperatures would be similar to a refrigerator. Discussions with neighbors revealed their AC was still doing well. No flushing issues either.

Miscellaneous:

Internet connection and speed was much slower than I experienced on the same ship in Alaska 2013.

I was unable to learn the passenger load for the upcoming 11-day cruise.

I am still willing to answer any questions for my location here on Deck 6.

Day #3 Aruba

The pending afternoon arrival in Aruba allowed another day of sleeping late. Is that not what a vacation needs? The minimum passengers on board made for short food lines and lots of open deck chairs.

The temperatures hovered around 92 degrees and the high humidity kept many passengers on board. We shared the dock with the Island Princess.

I signed up for the sunset cruise excursion and proceeded from the Port Terminal to the dock to catch the catamaran. A group of snorklers were disembarking and all of them were quite jolly and needed help to step onto the dock. As they passed our waiting group, the snorklers were extolling the virtures of the "open bar." I grabbed a rear corner seat and readied my camera for some great sunset pictures.

When all 80 passengers were aboard, the captain announced the "open bar" and all of the rum punch you could drink. After leaving the dock, passengers dispersed from ther seats to find lounging spots on the front deck. The next two hours were spent about a mile off shore drinking punch and getting some good sunset pictures. We got back to the Zuiderdamn time for the last few minutes of the aft Lido deck cookout.

Departure from the dock at 11:00 PM had two runners but with so many folks in bed, there was no cheering by those already on board.

Dining:

Nachos were on the lunch menu after 2:00 PM when the melted cheese is placed on the buffet table. Although appetizers were cancelled, chicken wings and egg rolls still arrived at 3:00 PM.

The aft Lido deck was the site for a supper cookout. Only pizza was available in the Lido restaurant. Within minutes of the 8:00 PM end time, all of the food was removed and the indoor pool area was being set up for the sail-away party. I did get a chance to see the HAL Cats in action with the lead singer still a bit flat from the notes being played by the musicians.

With so much eating, I bypassed the desserts again.

Facilities:

AC continues to function well and still needed to be turned down or the sleeping temperatures would be similar to a refrigerator. Discussions with neighbors revealed their AC was still doing well. No flushing issues either.

Miscellaneous:

Internet connection and speed was much slower than I experienced on the same ship in Alaska 2013.

I was unable to learn the passenger load for the upcoming 11-day cruise.

I am still willing to answer any questions for my location here on Deck 6.

Thanks for the update! I can't wait to see the menus you will post to your website upon your return. On February 3, 2014, we will be in the cabin I think you were in for your Alaska cruise (5191). I hope air conditioning works as well in that cabin as it seems to be in yours.

Sounds like you are thoroughly enjoying yourself! Can't wait until February.